Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

11 hours ago, RonnieColeman said:

There is a free program called "Lossless Scaling" (i got it from steam) that applies integer scaling to windowed programs and with that I was able to do 320x240 with integer scaling but the HUD numbers and Doomguy's face are all wrong and weird looking to me:

Hide contents

Untitled.png.7250e1882aeac21d6e202f0b11a6c9b3.png

The point is we want full screen nearest neighbour like in Crispy instead of smaller picture integer scaled.

21 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

Yes.. thanks for reminding me of that. I'm gonna start playing in 3:2 - the monsters probably don't look too wide. If you run some 90's adventure games in 3:2, the characters are visibly too wide.

Jittery pixels in 4:3 is what I hate most about Doom. But I don't like any other screen ratio than 4:3. Unfortunately we can't have both clean pixels and 4:3 ratio.  

You can scale 320x200 to 1600x1200 cleanly by turning each pixel into a 5x6 pixel block. This preserves the original resolution and aspect ratio perfectly.

9 hours ago, dmslr said:

What are 'tracers' in -prbhud- for?

From usage.txt:

Additional command-line parameters for cheating/TAS functions:
"-trace_thingshealth ThingID [ThingID] [ThingID]" - displays the current health of the specified Things (in the HUD)
"-trace_thingspickup ThingID [ThingID] [ThingID]" - shows if the specified Things have been picked up (in the HUD)
"-trace_linescross   LineID  [LineID]  [LineID]" - shows if the specified Lines have been crossed (in the HUD)
"-trace_givendamage  ThingID [ThingID] [ThingID]" - shows the latest and total damage inflicted by any specific monsters or players (in the HUD)

To obtain ThingID or LineID, open the level in an editor of your choice and check for its value.

Hi, short question: where is the "A Secret is Revealed!" setting?

I looked it up, and the only thing I could find was this forum post but when I try to go to where they say to turn it on, I get stuck here because there is no "advanced hud options".

Spoiler

image.png.487834230fac5a39cad97e6f41c6259b.png

I've also tried looking in the .cfg but no dice.

13 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

there is no "advanced hud options".

Dude, that's PrBoom, i.e. without +, version 2.5.0 from 2008. Please consider upgrading to a more recent version that actually contains that feature. 

Indeed.

We usually just say "PrBoom" when we refer to this port, but in reality, we mean "PrBoom+", which is its successor. I think that confuses some people easily.

1 minute ago, seed said:

We usually just say "PrBoom" when we refer to this port, but in reality, we mean "PrBoom+", which is its successor. I think that confuses some people easily.

The addition of '+' was a mistake.

1 minute ago, dmslr said:

The addition of '+' was a mistake.

Well it was meant to describe its origins and the fact that it's a continuation of another port, so it's fairly understandable why the "plus" was added, as a much enhanced version.

@seedI still don't get why. PrBoom+ is basically PrBoom that got a major update. AFAIK entryway worked on PrBoom too; it's not about handing the port to another maintainer, neither.

16 minutes ago, seed said:

Indeed.

mb, mb.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:20 AM, Da Werecat said:

Try it with 320x200. 320x240 is not Doom's native resolution.

Something tells me it's gonna be squashed though.

That has been fixed in the UMAPINFO fork as of Jan 7.

320x200 is now displayed with the correct aspect ratio. And you no longer need to edit the .cfg file to get 320x200, it is now always available in the menu, along with the three higher resolutions originally supported in Doom95.

Hey,

I'm most probably not the first person who brings this up, but I was just wondering if "sticky" menus will ever be implemented. One thing (among others) I love about GZDoom is that the menu remembers the last option you changed, so when you open it up again, you'll start from there. I think this is a great convenience; is it possible that this feature finds its way into PrBoom+?

On 1/17/2021 at 2:49 PM, Fluuschoen said:

I'm most probably not the first person who brings this up, but I was just wondering if "sticky" menus will ever be implemented. One thing (among others) I love about GZDoom is that the menu remembers the last option you changed, so when you open it up again, you'll start from there. I think this is a great convenience; is it possible that this feature finds its way into PrBoom+?

Pending:

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/pull/174

16 minutes ago, fabian said:

If it means something to you, yes. 

Wow, it's so blatant that I never would have guessed it!

Well, it's meaningful in a sense that being a newcomer here, I "came up" with something which might contribute a little towards a more convenient experience for the community. The good thing that it doesn't rely on my non-existent coding skills. : D

When I try and change the resolution to 1920x1080 I really screws up my screen despite the fact that I have a 1080p monitor, this also isn't an issue in 2.4.1.5, 2.4.1.7um or any other port. 

The first image is what happens right after, the second is when you restart the game.

Screenshot (250).png

Screenshot (252).png

Is render_screen_multiply>1 in your .cfg file? Set it to 1 if it is.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen in the current prboom-plus because, first, the latter always uses your desktop resolution and upscales the game resolution accordingly; and second, render_screen_multiply applies to windowed video modes only.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, Never_Again said:

Is render_screen_multiply>1 in your .cfg file? Set it to 1 if it is.

This kind of stuff doesn't happen in the current prboom-plus because, first, the latter always uses your desktop resolution and upscales the game resolution accordingly; and second, render_screen_multiply applies to windowed video modes only.

Yep, it's set to 1

I'm not using more recent versions of PrBoom because I've had issues with those as well. In 2.5.1.5 and 2.5.1.7 the SFX sound like they oddly sound like they are peaking and muffled at the same time. It kind of causes a little bit of a click in my headphones. 2.5.1.4 sounds super crispy and nice like pretty much all other source ports. Hell, even Dosbox sounds WAY better. I thought I was nuts or maybe my headphones were damaged until I looked at the audio in software and it looked different.

Edited by Steelous

Is it normal for sounds to cut out, or not happen at all? For example, when fighting the monsters that appear after obtaining the red key in MAP02, the super shotgun has moments where it makes no sound when firing. I've never had this issue with a source port before (including Chocolate DOOM), so I'm unsure what the issue could be.

Edited by Jakura

21 minutes ago, Jakura said:

Is it normal for sounds to cut out, or not happen at all? For example, when fighting the monsters that appear after obtaining the red key in MAP02, the super shotgun has moments where it makes no sound when firing. I've never had this issue with a source port before, so I'm unsure what the issue could be.

If you're running over dropped shotguns or other items, it's normal for the item pickup sound to cut off the firing sound, since both are attached to the player.

9 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

If you're running over dropped shotguns or other items, it's normal for the item pickup sound to cut off the firing sound, since both are attached to the player.

After playing around it some more, that does seem to be the case - I guess I just never noticed it before (or I was using ports that altered the behavior, more likely). Thanks for the answer, I know it was a novice question.

On 2/11/2021 at 1:11 AM, Shepardus said:

This is correct

So I actually made a quick video showing the difference. The main issue of the clicking doesn't actually happen when I watch the video which is strange. However you can still hear that the SFX are lower resolution. The difference is minor so it's not that much of an issue but it would still be nice to fix as the clicking can be quite bothersome. 

Video:

https://imgur.com/urNmtlp

i have a problem with music (prboom+ 2.5.1.4-4 on linux). it sounds weird, like it would sound in vanilla doom or something. in the settings if i choose fluidsynth or opl2 as midi players the music sounds just as i described but if i change for the other two available settings then there's no music. is this some kind of linux-related problem?

57 minutes ago, flatmodule said:

i have a problem with music (prboom+ 2.5.1.4-4 on linux). it sounds weird, like it would sound in vanilla doom or something. in the settings if i choose fluidsynth or opl2 as midi players the music sounds just as i described but if i change for the other two available settings then there's no music. is this some kind of linux-related problem?

OPL2 emulates how it would have sounded using a SoundBlaster card in vanilla Doom. My guess is Fluidsynth is failing to start so it's falling back on OPL. The other MIDI players might be misconfigured.

Don't really know to fix it based on this information, but make sure Fluidsynth is installed, as well as at least one soundfont. What distro are you using?

21 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

OPL2 emulates how it would have sounded using a SoundBlaster card in vanilla Doom. My guess is Fluidsynth is failing to start so it's falling back on OPL. The other MIDI players might be misconfigured.

Don't really know to fix it based on this information, but make sure Fluidsynth is installed, as well as at least one soundfont. What distro are you using?

yeah that seems to be the problem. i use manjaro, already installed fluidsynth, but fails to start if i start it from the terminal. this is what i got after typing in fluidsynth -s if that helps.

image.png.42f5f7805f4b1e4ae16d3c307cbc5176.png

1 minute ago, flatmodule said:

yeah that seems to be the problem. i use manjaro, already installed fluidsynth, but fails to start if i start it from the terminal. this is what i got after typing in fluidsynth -s if that helps.

image.png.42f5f7805f4b1e4ae16d3c307cbc5176.png

Something is going wrong there with the connection to JACK, but normally, apps like PrBoom+ will use PulseAudio for audio playback. So that might not be relevant.

Could you provide the output from running prboom-plus in the terminal? Usually the output also includes warnings and errors from fluidsynth, and those might be useful.