PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

prb+ allows you to look in any direction you want, but as far as I know the only option for aiming and firing is the good old fashioned doom autoaim.

22 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

prb+ allows you to look in any direction you want, but as far as I know the only option for aiming and firing is the good old fashioned doom autoaim.

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't look in any direction I want.  I know it's a psychological thing and doesn't affect the auto-aim ability but I just feel weird not being able to instantly look where I want to look.  I'm using prboom-plus-2.5.1.3.  I don't have this issue in gzdoom, which is my main source port for playing doom, but I like to have another fast port to fall back on.  One other thing I noticed is that prboom is no longer the fastest source port for my system (i5, GTX 1070).  Using the extremely system demanding imps-in-the-park section of Lainos' Lilium wad, I noticed that the latest GZdoom 64-bit version blows PrBoom out of the water in speed.  I guess that optimized 64-bit code really makes a difference now.

16 minutes ago, cacomonkey said:

I'm using prboom-plus-2.5.1.3.

I don't remember, but this version might be too old for this feature to be present in software mode. Originally, it only worked in the OpenGL mode/exe.

53 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

Recent versions allow free aiming. It's in the same place where you can enable jumping.

Most likely, these options are disabled during demo recording, but I didn't check.

Okay, I updated to 2.5.1.4 and my issues were fixed.  Mouselook works fine now, and Lilium even runs faster than 64-bit Gzdoom, haha.  I had forgotten how bright GLBoom was in comparison to GZdoom.  I might just start using PrBoom+ as my go to source port for playing Doom now.  No reason to be playing wads in that dark gloom of GZboom anymore, though it might be a setting I have off that makes it look like that.  At any rate, I got my two favorite Doom source ports working as thy should again.  Thanks for the help.

This get me think for few days,but will prboom+ get mod music file support in the future?

hello friends my prboom+ is auto skipping the intermission text why on earth is it doing that and how do i make it stop? like the endgame text starts and then it goes away and jumps to the next level after a second without me touching anything

i wanna read the words on the screen :(

also is there a way to make the intermission screen not go by so fast i wanna look at the level name and author of the map i'm about to start but it frickin loads so fast it's gone before i have a chance to even see it like heck

Edited by bonnie

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

my prboom+ is auto skipping the intermission text why on earth is it doing that and how do i make it stop?

Good question! I haven't seen that problem before. You can cause it to auto-progress by holding a key down (mouse counts) before the text screen appears, but it doesn't actually buffer new inputs. If you're running the game on an old compatibility level, you can't press a button to bring the full text into view and have to wait for it to slowly scroll out. It's possible the game thinks you're holding a button for some reason, don't know any more than that.

2 hours ago, bonnie said:

is there a way to make the intermission screen not go by so fast

This is one of those relics left in primarily for demo-syncing purposes: the original executable used this time to load the map, but as this is often instantaneous in the present year the time is far shorter; and adding a keypress or artificially padding out the length of the screen would most certainly break demos (though no reason not to allow it for the current version). Anyway, I don't see a way to adjust it in the options: you'll just have to read it after finishing the level.

@CapnClever bless your magical heart

i decided to test your theory of it auto-progressing from me holding a key down too long so i decided to just tap my mouse button as lightly as possible instead of the use key, to see if that would work, and it did!!!! :D

but then i went back and tested to verify the theory but i couldn't reproduce it

the thing that has been plaguing me for several days now has suddenly disappeared

i even tried holding the use key down all the way until the words started appearing and it still didn't skip it

perhaps using the mouse that one time fixed it somehow

or perhaps you just used your secret wizard powers to fix it when i wasn't lookin

Is there a reason why prboom-plus records 1.2/cl0 demos with the wrong header? It should be 7 bytes long instead of 13.