Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Job

Next-Gen XBox

I'm sure this story is at several sites including Gamespot, but I just got it from CNN Money instead, so here you go. The capabilities and plans for the new XBox system are detailed and the unfinished project has been named XBox 360. Personally, it sounds pretty interesting and could be a suitable substitute for those who can't quite afford a computer, though I imagine the price tag will still be pretty heavy. Perhaps $300-400? To some extent I wish I hadn't gotten the old Xbox and put so much money into it when this (seemingly) superior system is on the horizon. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for it to become affordable.

Microsoft also plans to greatly expand its online network in its next generation, letting players and developers form their own marketplace, selling in-game content for real-world cash via small micro-transactions. Racing game enthusiasts, for example, will be able to buy a faster car to give them an edge in the game for a slight bit more, should they wish. Similarly, players who design, say, clothing or tattoos for their own characters will be able to sell those to others.

As opposed to the tried and true tradition of modding for free because you enjoy doing it?

Ooo kay

Racing game enthusiasts, for example, will be able to buy a faster car to give them an edge in the game for a slight bit more, should they wish.

So just because I don't want to fork out even more money for this, I'm going to suck shit versus all the spoiled xbox fanboys who have their mommies and daddies hand them cash to pimp their rides.

That's sorta like saying "You can cheat, but you have to pay us first!"

Could be virtual assets or "Xbox points". Otherwise yes, that would be very weak.

it says "selling in-game content for real-world cash". That's no different than selling diablo 2 items on ebay.

Quast said:

it says "selling in-game content for real-world cash". That's no different than selling diablo 2 items on ebay.

Correct, but this stuff is not set in stone yet.