1. 1. Which was best

• Metallica
    • Megadeth
    • Anthrax
    • Slayer
    • Testament
    • You idiot, where\'s...

This is easy.

SLAYER. Even though they have changed their sound throughout the years, they're still the most authentic to their own style. Oh, and maybe testament, too.

Dittohead said:
Even though they have changed their sound throughout the years, they're still the most authentic to their own style.

The thread question does say was, so that shouldn't matter much.

When I think of thrash metal I also think of early death metal... in the end they're pretty much the same gerne except for the voices; nowadays many metalesque bands use either singing or growling, or a combination, but not so much the ranting style combined with shrieking used by traditional thrash.

It was only recently that I started listening to Slayer, and I've liked Metallica and Megadeath for about a year now. But, imo, Slayer is the best I've heard so far. Megadeath is good, but seems a bit...too light, I guess.

Metallica for me ;) They have been my favourite band for so long it's impossible not to choose them. Even if their later stuff isn't thrash.

Megadeth would come a fairly close second though.

I choose other. I like Destruction.

And Cannibal Corpse is a Type of Death Metal and Ministry is Industrial Electro Metal to my understanding.

Cannible Corpse is Death metal, Ministry is Industrial (Not metal) and Napalm Death is Grindcore.

Yet all three have heavy thrash metal influence. Ministry did some thrash-industrial, and the other two belong to extreme-thrash gernes. Though Napalm Death was indeed kind of hardcore-punkish. Most of those gerne tags are pretty arbitrary and tend to be sales tags more than anything; more appearance than substance. Most bands don't even like to be categorized. Note how many of the main thrash bands said they did metal, looking at the thrash tag a bit askance. Thrash was of a pretty limited scope overall; thus more of a fad or characteristic of certain bands of a certain era.

myk said:

Yet all three have heavy thrash metal influence. Ministry did some thrash-industrial, and the other two belong to extreme-thrash gernes. Though Napalm Death was indeed kind of hardcore-punkish. Most of those gerne tags are pretty arbitrary and tend to be sales tags more than anything; more appearance than substance. Most bands don't even like to be categorized. Note how many of the main thrash bands said they did metal, looking at the thrash tag a bit askance. Thrash was of a pretty limited scope overall; thus more of a fad or characteristic of certain bands of a certain era.

I agree.

Napalm Death actually started out as a pure HC/punk band in 83, when the last remaining good punks bands (except Dead Kennedys) died. But according to Mick Harris (drummer) they converted to "Whirlwind tornado thrash" (???) after that. :)

And while listening to track 3 from Ministry's "Dark side of the spoon" (don't remember the title) it's pretty obvious that Ministry has got some thrash influences in their music. Damn, that track rocks like Slayer anno '91!!!

But it's stilll my opinion that Cannibal Corpse are, and have always been, DM. (after all, they came around after somebody "invented" the DM tag for bands like DEATH and Morbid Angel...)

BTW, it's rare to meet a member of a band that is happy to have his/her music categorized. Most bands say "We just play what we feel like", or "Metal" et cetera, and leave it to record company execs or promoters / media to come up with an adequate tag.

Slayer and Megadeth. IMO are only real thrash metal bands.
Metallica was thrash at one point. The only reason is that they were thrash is cuz Dave Mastane wrote mostof the songs for there fist to albums. If you dont beleve me then pick up the remaster KILLING IS MY BUSINESS...AND BUSINESS IS GOOD. Mastane states that he wrote the tracks for Ride the lightneng and Master of Puppets. Dave wrote MECHANIX when he was still with Metallica. After he left Metallica they changed the title to THE FOUR HORSEMEN. You all know as well as I do if this isnt ture Lars would be all over the place pmsing about it.

Also, Kreator should be on the list. They are one of the only ture thrash metal bands out there today.

MasterOfPuppets said:

mustain wrote for puppets? no way thats way to late.

Mustaine didn't do much more than co-write "Kill 'em all", and two tracks including the title from "Ride...".

Uncle 80 said:

Mustaine didn't do much more than co-write "Kill 'em all", and two tracks including the title from "Ride...".

Well like I posted that is what is writen in the booklet that came with the remastered KILLING IS MY BUSINESS...AND BUSINESS IS GOOD.

Personaly I think Metallica is way over rated. The only reason that thay are so big is that they got a good record deal. There has allways been bands that have more tallent then Metallica that deserve more credit then they do. All Metallica did was write songs that are along the same vaine as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest distort there gutiars and play a faster. When bands like Bathory did some thing that was never done befor.

Rotting Corpse said:

Well like I posted that is what is writen in the booklet that came with the remastered KILLING IS MY BUSINESS...AND BUSINESS IS GOOD.

Dave Mustaine says lots of things. If you haven't seen it aldready, check out the "Behind the music: Megadeth" special by VH1 (released on DVD). Among other things, he speaks about how he finally managed to quit doing heroin when "Rust in peace" was released and got a high chart-placement, then weeks later, Metallica released "The Black Album", got a higher placement, and Dave promptly returned to the hard drugs again :)

Anyways, a fun DVD, but the main point is that the "Metallica fan vs Megadeth fan" debate seems to never end. A LOT of strange things has happened in both bands, and there's really no way to tell which of them (if any) are telling the truth. Maybe Dave suggests that Metallica re-used any old ideas he had while he was in the band, I don't know, but he is not credited as song writer for "Master..".

Personally, I like both bands...

Fredrik said:

Where's Artillery?

hell yeah, and exodus? from those my pick is slayer, hell awaits and show no mercy are fucking pieces of best metal there is.