Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pete The Padre

editing huds and main menus

Im not really gifted in that area and would very much appriciate help on this matter, what programs do i need to make my own huds and main menu? and how do i do.

You mean editing or makig signs like "New game" and so on? Any good graphics program.
Get Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop, hunt a font named "Doom" (or whatever You want to choose) and there You go.

If You however meant to edit the menus in such a way the options are like on the bottom of the screen or adding some new menus (like new game options)-that's going to require some programming skills and modifying an exe (probably of Your favorite source port).

Unless you're talking about a source port, Doom never had a HUD. It had a statusbar and it can be replaced by replacing the appropriate graphics from the iwad. Just use XWE to open doom2.wad (DONT CHANGE ANYTHING) and browse the different graphics (the ones you want shoudl be closer to the top). After you find them, export them, edit them, and insert them into a new pwad using the same name that they came out of the iwad with.

As for the menu, you can't change it, but you can replace the graphics each menu option displays by using the same method I described above. So instead of a "New Game" graphics, you could replace it with one that might say "Start Mission".

You certainly do not need to change the EXE so the graphics appear at the bottom of the screen. Ever heard of sprite offsets? It's available for modding in XWE.

Darkhaven said:

You certainly do not need to change the EXE so the graphics appear at the bottom of the screen. Ever heard of sprite offsets? It's available for modding in XWE.

Um...
Changing the position of the graphics has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with changing the position of the actual menu item.
Think please.

Even if you did want to switch graphics around using this method, YOU WOULD HAVE TO INCLUDE copies of the graphics in the wad just to set the offsets. In that case, why not just replace the others altogether?

Changing the position of the graphics has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with changing the position of the actual menu item.

What? Do you even know what you're talking about?