Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bank

What has Doom most contributed to?

Just wondering, what do you think the best thing that came out of Doom was? Personally, I think it was limits it redifined. Before Doom, graphically, the only other violent game was Wolfenstein (and others that used it's engine) and it wasn't nearly as popular or advertised as Doom, and anything before Wolfenstein, the pong-ball didn't bleed. Doom ripped open a whole new generation of what was acceptable in games, and now, there is a game for every person, regardless of morals or ethics. Doom said "Hey! I'll damn well kill zombies and watch them explode when I hit them with a rocket and I don't give a damn what you think!" and really did succeed, besides upgrading the game rating system, not much was done about it, and so, that's why there are games like Manhunt (which sucked, a desperate cry to be overly violent) sell. Doom was great, it told off sensorship, and opened the eyes of a lot of people, and in the immortal words of the apron I saw at Bookmans "Sensorship: The assassination of an idea" Damn straight, power to you Doom!

Well, let's see...

DOOM contributed to the creation of the ESRB.
DOOM literally made the FPS market what it is today.
DOOM spawned many,many,MANY Mods to WADS, and thus started the Mod Phenomenon.
DOOM made us scared of video games.
DOOM was the first true Horror Game.
DOOM was the first game to have DeathMatch mode,a mode that has become the most popular Multiplayer mode in FPS games in history.
DOOM was one of the first games to have 3D-like enviroments.
DOOMWorld would not be here if it wasn't for DOOM.
id Software woul not be as well known if it wasn't for DOOM
DOOM made us FEAR Monsters again.

DOOM contributed to the creation of the ESRB.

Splatterhouse was doing this seven years prior, though.

Raves about how super Doom is have been going on forever. I acknowledge that its clever mixture of everything is what made the FPS genre what it is today, but besides that, I don't see it contributing to anything mind-blowing.

I actually thought Mortal Kombat was the acutal game that spawned the ESRB.

Doom is, as far as i know anyway, the only game which is regularly reported to cause people to actually duck or lean in thier seats to 'avoid' on-screen projectiles

ToyoWolf said:

What about Zork? I mean, those fucking Grues. o_o

What about Zork?

Those games scared me far more than Doom ever did. The funny part being that some of the Zork games were just text adventures (besides Return to Zork, maybe), meaning no graphics.

Doom contributed heavily towards my inability to do anything productive since 1994. Lethargic streak is still going strong 8)

deathbringer said:

Doom is, as far as i know anyway, the only game which is regularly reported to cause people to actually duck or lean in thier seats to 'avoid' on-screen projectiles

I still remember the first incounter with the cyberdemon.

AgentSpork said:

Those games scared me far more than Doom ever did. The funny part being that some of the Zork games were just text adventures (besides Return to Zork, maybe), meaning no graphics.

I have Return to Zork, or did, but it was on like 24 3¼" floppies, most of which were demagnetized from something.

iori said:

I have Return to Zork, or did, but it was on like 24 3¼" floppies, most of which were demagnetized from something.

Hehe, thats why i hate high density floppies. C64 ones are far less error prone.

Back to topic:
Doom made (younger) people hate the BPjS in germany.
I think Doom is one of the most pirated PC games.
Doom made LAN-Partys popular.
Doom had stolen my innocence :P

Doom's BFG started the trend that most 3D shooters must have an Ultimate Weapon of Destructive Potential. Save for most realistic shooters (this does not include Soldier of Fortune), nearly every FPS worth its salt has had a UWDP. I cite several examples, from past to present:

* Duke 3D's Devastator
* Blood's Life Leech
* Quake 2's BFG10K
* Half-Life's Gluon/Tau cannons (it's a tie between them)
* Soldier of Fortune's MPG
* Half-Life 2's supercharged Gravity Gun

WildWeasel said:

Doom's BFG started the trend that most 3D shooters must have an Ultimate Weapon of Destructive Potential. Save for most realistic shooters (this does not include Soldier of Fortune), nearly every FPS worth its salt has had a UWDP. I cite this example, from Quake 2:

* Quake 2's BFG10K

...Well, THAT was an expected weapon,considering that id made Quake.

ToyoWolf said:

...Well, THAT was an expected weapon,considering that id made Quake.

Surprisingly, though, there was no real Super Weapon in Quake 1. The Lightning Gun was barely as powerful as the Rocket Launcher, which was only slightly more powerful than the rest of the arsenal. I suppose Quad Damage is to blame there.

GEEZ! DooM contributed to setting up the classic arrangement of FPS weaponry. You know what I'm talking about.

1- melee
2- pistol
3- shotgun
4- automatic of some kind
5- rocket launcher

Then the rest were up to the game developers. This setup is still followed today. Despite the fact that it's a very sensible setup and those are the kinds of weapons you would find in real life, DooM still set it up for all games after it.

Nick Perrin said:

GEEZ! DooM contributed to setting up the classic arrangement of FPS weaponry. You know what I'm talking about.

1- melee
2- pistol
3- shotgun
4- automatic of some kind
5- rocket launcher

Then the rest were up to the game developers. This setup is still followed today. Despite the fact that it's a very sensible setup and those are the kinds of weapons you would find in real life, DooM still set it up for all games after it.

Actually, Wolfenstein already set this to a degree. Knife, pistol, machinegun (served as the "shotgun" really), and a chaingun. Some other version (mac version?) even had a flame thrower (plasma rifle) and rocket launcher. Doom did introduce the idea of unlimited lives though and dropped off the scoring mechanics.

Of anything else, DOOM gave use the WAD Format; it's still in use today, for example alot of important stuff in "Enter the Matrix" is stored in WADs.

You can't really say it contributed to modern wads- they have a completely new format now, they just borrowed the name. PAK, PK3, WAD, whatever. These days it's all the same.

DooM really contributed to horror in games... It was one of the first games I ever played (not the first) but it was the first to scare me.

Although at the time I was younger and more easily impressionable. But even so, no game had ever been so graphic and scary in terms of violence, design and sound as doom was when it was released.

WildWeasel said:

Doom's BFG started the trend that most 3D shooters must have an Ultimate Weapon of Destructive Potential. Save for most realistic shooters (this does not include Soldier of Fortune), nearly every FPS worth its salt has had a UWDP. I cite several examples, from past to present:

* Duke 3D's Devastator
* Blood's Life Leech
* Quake 2's BFG10K
* Half-Life's Gluon/Tau cannons (it's a tie between them)
* Soldier of Fortune's MPG
* Half-Life 2's supercharged Gravity Gun

We cannot forget Unreal Tounament's "Redeamer". It was 12 shades of bitch ass.

I think Doom might've contributed to the graphics industry as well. Since doom started off the fps craze (that apparently hasnt stopped yet), more and more powerful gfx cards keep popping up. I can't think of any genre that requires graphics power more than games with FPS elements (everything from stuff like Morrowind/WoW to Doom/Doom3/other shooters)..