Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Kama Sutra Demopack [Released!]

I figured that this megawad is going to get some heavy demo recording now that the final version has been released. In response, I thought a thread to possibly assemble a demopack of some sort should be in order. So...record away, post up demos/demo requests, and discuss possible stratgies/improvements for existing demos.

If you still need to download the megawad, you can get it here.

Good Luck!
Edit:
Homepage: http://www.volny.cz/ksutra/
Demopage: http://ksutra-n.wz.cz
Email Ksutra team: sagvant at seznam dot cz

Edit by Grazza (2nd July 2005): The pack has now been released. Direct link.

My gosh. there are some hard maps in there.

Some really nice maps as well.

I ceratinly will be looking forward to seeing how the "good guys" get thru them.

Kick ASS OPS! Just sent off my map31 UV Maxdemo a while ago. Ops, should we be sending the demos to you too?

yeah, you can send them to me if you want them posted on here.
I assume their demopage is still for the initial version... so I don't know how often/when they will update that.
Here's another Map30 max demo (with some telefrag help - better them than me):
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/ks30_057.zip
:40 would be a good time.
edit:
and a speedrun on the Kids side:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/ks30_017.zip
:17 is really easy, :16 seems out of reach for me.

Opulent said:

I assume their demopage is still for the initial version... so I don't know how often/when they will update that.

No, it's for the new version, and has been updated in the last 24 hours.

I haven't tested them, but my understanding is that any demos that were recorded on the old version and are still listed, are ones that also play back with the new version.

FWIW, I've recorded a kn10-003 on both versions - curiously, the millisecond time is identical (0:03.37) for the two demos.

Grazza said:

FWIW, I've recorded a kn10-003 on both versions - the millisecond time is identical (0:03.37) for the two demos.

You stud. :)

Rich, cool map, even cooler demo.

Opulent said:

You stud. :)

Rich, cool map, even cooler demo.

Hehe, thanks Ops, for some reason the demo just felt, wierd for some reason. Been trying map20 for a bit there, and it's a harsh one indeed.

dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/ks21-326.zip

Map 21 max in 3:26.

The text file has my new email address... or rather the address I neglected in favor of this silly aol account, since I've had it for years. It's about time I put a stop to that.

I forgot to mention, but that choice of secret sectors near the start was baffling...

Just finished my map20 UV maxdemo. Sent it off to Ops. Fun map, has some very NASTY traps in it!

Now goes off to watch Viles map21!

Finally got to watch the map21 run that Vile did. Hehe, Amazing as always.

Opulent said:

[Re map30] (doom2.exe doesn't teleport the Cybers)

Seems to work fine for me in Doom2.exe. Maybe you just failed to trigger the linedef (though I only had that happen on one occasion out of many)?

Opulent said:

Telefrag max action by me on Map30:
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/ks30_046.zip
(MBF recorded - playsback with Prboom2.2x)

I don't know if you noticed, but it's possible to get four of the cybers telefragged when they teleport in, which should speed things up a fair bit. I got a 0:46 (recorded with Doom2.exe) that way, despite some poor BFGing and a bad finish.

I've also uploaded my map10 NM in 0:03. I tried to e-mail this to ksutra-n on Friday, but it got bounced.

ragnew: Great job on finally getting through map31! I'm going to go watch it now (along with all the other demos I have to catch up on :P).

I'll also send my map32 maxdemo to Ops. Time for it is 5:52. Still can be improved a fair bit I reckon since I had several missed shots.

EDIT: Whew, finished watching all the demos a couple hours ago. Very nice so far (Especially map31, that's a tough level). As for me, I'm sending 2 more demos to Ops: A Map27 maxdemo in 12:49 and a speedrun in 2:18.

Anima, thanks for the kind words man... :) It's a fun map (31) for sure. Hehe, got's some pretty hairy parts if you're not ready for it.

Gonna go and check out your demos now! This'll be GREAT!

Ops, Sooo, you managed to knock 10 seconds off eh (map30)! DAMN that's pretty crazy man!

Kind of a wierd request here to guys, would anyone be so kind as to watch my map20 desync demo with Doom2.exe ver 1.9? I can't run any of the old exe on my system, and was wondering if anyone would be able to get it to run on that exe. Thanks much.

Opulent said:

doh edit: after watching the demo, I see the issue. In MBF (and probably Boom), it must be that a monster cannot telefrag another. Btw, I did get a :59 without any Cybers being telefragged.

It's only in MBF, and it's a compatibility option: "Any monster can telefrag on map30". I believe the effect of this being set to "No" is that only monsters spawned by the boss shooter can telefrag; other monsters behave in the same way that they do on other maps w.r.t. telefragging.

Given that the wad was designed for Doom2.exe, it would seem appropriate to set this option to "Yes". BTW, all four cyber-cyber telefrags aren't a given in Doom2.exe - perhaps two is the average with the route I was using (hard to tell with all the red screen, general mayhem and -nosound).

ragnew: I recall that Vile was having issues with desyncs in 2.2.4 (on TVR!, esp. on maps with crushers, IIRC), and this seemed to have been solved in 2.2.6. Also IIRC, the 2.2.4 desyncs seemed to be due to some problem with the way PrBoom recorded the demos, rather than with the way it played them back (i.e. they desynched in just the same way when watched with Doom2.exe).

Richie, on my machine the old demo desyncs at the same place as it does in prboom when using the doom2.exe

I will check later to see if it will run with dosdoom or final doom or one of the others.

Thanks Graz and Searcher. I think I'll go ahead and see if I can get a demo with complevel 0 on 2.2.6 then, and go from there.

EDIT : Just downloaded 2.2.6, I'll go ahead and see if I can get a Complevel 2 (guess not 0 in this version eh?) demo recorded that'll help with playback a bit later on today.

ragnew said:

Complevel 2 (guess not 0 in this version eh?)

Actually no; the complevels haven't changed between 2.2.4 and 2.2.6 (the 2.2.4 documentation was wrong though).

-complevel 0 is still fine and the one almost everyone seems to use (1.2 support hasn't been implemented yet in 2.2.x, so I presume this just defaults to 1.9 compatibility, and it has always worked for me).
-complevel 1 is the intended one for Doom2.exe compatibility. I haven't tested it myself though. Note: Vile used this for his successful (non-desynching) TVR! ep3 NM run, so that would suggest it is OK.
-complevel 2 is one I have never used, but it only claims to retain the bugs, but not to emulate the original exe's algorithms. This would suggest that a demo recorded with -complevel 2 would be liable to desync with Doom2.exe.

Summary: use -complevel 0 (or maybe 1).

So it is still complevel 0 then. Okie dokie, glad that I checked back to see if anyone replied.

Thanks again Graz.

I did Map28 UV Speed and NM Speed (it's much easier in NM to get a path through the imps), both in 0:11. Sent them to Ksutra-N.

I'm also working on NM100S (damn cacos blocking the rocket jump) and UV Max (in my best attempt so far I died after about 45 minutes).

Finally got a run to work with a complevel of 0. I used Prboom 2.2.6, and it played back perfectly.

Time on this demo was 15:36. Fun, fun map!

Sent it off to Ops.

Thaks for the info about 2.2.4's problems Graz!

Another 4 demos from me. This time however, they all show off some tricks I discovered. The levels and times are...

Map04 UV-Speed in 0:47. Trick here is getting YK first. Also came close to death several times.

Map06 UV-Speed in 0:16. Trick here involves jumping from 1st elevator out the window, taking the teleporter, then exiting.

Map08 -nomonsters demo in 0:23. Rocket trick to let my corpse exit.

Map17 UV-Speed in 0:46. 2 tricks here. One is letting a cyber rocket me into the teleporter, the other is a simple archie jump.

I packaged 'em all up in one zip file called ks-trik. Sending it to Ops now.

Anima Zero said:

Map08 -nomonsters demo in 0:23. Rocket trick to let my corpse exit.

You can easily exit in under 10 seconds. I'll leave that up to you to figure out, though.

EDIT: I got bored so I tried it. Nevermind, I guess. :)

dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/ks08n006.zip

Just got done watching your map27 demo Anima, pretty kick ass indeedy! GREAT demo man!

Now goes off to watch map32!

Vile said:

You can easily exit in under 10 seconds. I'll leave that up to you to figure out, though.

EDIT: I got bored so I tried it. Nevermind, I guess. :)

dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/ks08n006.zip

Well I've been beat :P. Didn't see that one :). Very nice. UV-Speed should be possible now, except...I seem to suck at the jump for some reason. Yay me :). So whoever wants to do that, go ahead. It shouldn't be a problem I think. Perhaps I'll try a UV-Max instead.

Redid map20, wasn't very happy with the others. Time for this one is 13:57. Recorded with Prboom 2.2.6 complevel 0.

Sent to Ops.

Anima Zero said:

Map04 UV-Speed in 0:47.

I fear you missed a trick there too...

Map04 NM Speed/Pacifist in 0:03 and UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:04 (route credits to Jakub "Method" Razak/Vincent Catalaa... sort of).

I imagine it should be possible to knock a second off those times, but in the case of the NM I got fed up trying.

Grazza said:

I fear you missed a trick there too...

Map04 NM Speed/Pacifist in 0:03 and UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:04.

I imagine it should be possible to knock a second off those times, but in the case of the NM I got fed up trying.

Ack, never saw that trick! Nice one. *Bangs head on desk* Why oh why didn't I see that ^_^?

Still working on a map08 maxdemo ATM. Should be done soon (I hope).