Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Recomended Quake 3 mods

Hi,
I ask this here, and not in a Quake 3 site, because as doomers we have somewhat similar tastes for video games. I'd like to know what mods for Quake 3 do you recomend, and if posible, what are they about. I know that some of you don't like Quake 3, and consider it the worst in the series, this thread is of course for these who don't think like that.
Here are mine.

Outpost: a single player mod, with some replay value.

Invasion: a real gem of a mod that combines single play with multiplayer, the team of the marines fight against the team of the aliens, the marines have strong weapons, but when they die they stay as spectators until the round ends, the aliens have weak weapons and armour but can respawn inifinite times. The marines must steal an egg from the alien base (in one of the variants), or destroy all the eggs there, and the aliens must kill the marines before they do that. Pretty fun on both sides. It supports bots for an adictive and customisable gameplay.

Final teleport: a single player variant (with "monsters" instead of bots) of one of the default maps, that can be downloaded in a zap (like 550 kbs or so).

Plataformer: just for take a look, it turns Quake 3 into a plataform game, quite fun, but the others are better.

Instaunlagged ctf: an instagib mod with railgun jump, very fun for multiplayer games, but boring with bots.

Ultimate Freeze: a team mod where any player/bot killed stay frozen until someone unfreeze him (what requires three seconds of stay close to him). The team that exterminate the other wins. Very fun, for both multiplayer and bots (you can combine the stuff, in example you and a few bots against a nightmare bot, or you alone against some bots, and of course you and your team against another team).

Bid for Power DBZ (full version): A DBZ mod with almost all the characters and locations of the series. Hard to find, but recomended if you like Dragon Ball.

Excellent. I've been wondering what the hell to do with Q3 for a while now... All the working level downloads appear to be off of FilePlanet, so I don't have a single third-party mod/level/whatever for the game.

If you're willing to invest the time in learning the game (namely how the movement works in it), then I highly recommend Challenge ProMode Arena, or CPMa.

That game owns pretty dang hard.

http://www.promode.org

The best Quake 3 mod is labeled uninstall.exe and amazingly enough, comes packaged with the game!

Oh please. :)

If you're into competitive play at all, I bet you can't back up your unenjoyment of the game with any kind of legitimate reason.

If you're just not into pro gaming, then I can understand. :) Go for it.

Mogul said:

Oh please. :)

If you're into competitive play at all, I bet you can't back up your unenjoyment of the game with any kind of legitimate reason.

If you're just not into pro gaming, then I can understand. :) Go for it.

Well I've never really liked deathmatch. That could be the reason. I prefer team-style play and Team Fortress Classic is probably my favorite mod of all time. Team Arena was a pathetic excuse to implement team play into Q3A IMO.

Vegeta said:

Final teleport: a single player variant (with "monsters" instead of bots) of one of the default maps, that can be downloaded in a zap (like 550 kbs or so).

Any chance of a link to this?, I can't find it for the life of me.

The Bid for Power mod didn't work. Apparently it doesn't like my version. What version does it require?

Urban Terror. In the same genre of semi-realism shooter as CS and AQ2.

RQ3, as mentioned before. Unfortunately, few people play it. The bots are quite strong with the pistol, especially when used akimbo.

Corkscrew is an instagib mod. Normally I hate such mods, but there's this option of using an offhand grappling hook that more closely mimics a rope so you can swing around like Spiderman. I've spent hours upon hours just swinging from the floating platforms of the space levels.

Hunt modifies the weapons with different properties and gives players a cloaking device. However, the real meat of the mod is in its two additional game modes. In 'Save the Universe', you and your team use the modified weapons to defend yourself from powerful monsters scattered about a map of your choice as you search for artefacts to send the monsters back to the hell they spawned from. In 'Escape from Hell', you and your team must strafejump your way through a randomly-generated map filled with the monsters. Juhox, the guy who created this mod, is also part of the aforementioned Outpost mod. I think the GenArena team had been inspired by the 'Save the Universe' game mode enough to try and bring it to GenArena in a form where classic Doom and Quake monsters battle it out with players and themselves.

Invasion kicked a lot of ass. I just wish the bots were more intelligent and didn't take the same routes over and over, though.

Thanks a lot, I tried some of them, cool mods. The next one I'll look for is Hunt.

About that Bid for Power mod, I use 1.31 and it works fine. I'd like to know where did I downloaded it but I can't remember, look for "English Bid for Power", add somewhere "dbz" or "dragon ball" (with and without the "Z") if that helps, or "models" or "model pack/s" if you look for extra models (it includes a real lot though), or "maps". The bots are a bit dumb (they can't follow you some times if they can't see you), but it's very playable anyway. If you are a fan of the series, then I highly recomend it, the efforts to find it and wait till the hundreds megs get downloaded is worth, you can play as and against almost any character (and the variants of each). I downloaded it as a group of Rar files, not a single zip file.

Is there any Aliens vs Predator mod for one of the Quake series?

And for these who don't know there are models of the Revenant, Imp, and Arachnotron.

Vegeta said:

Is there any Aliens vs Predator mod for one of the Quake series?

Predator Q2 and Aliens Q1, but both got foxed (and i have both)

I must add to the list, Qokey, a Hockey/Soccer mod, that supports bots, very fun, can help you to pass the time if you're bored. I recommend 2 vs 2.