Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Zarkyb Presents: Doom 2

OK, hopefully the mods will be fine with this... for some unfixable reason, I can't access WadsInProgress, so I'm going to post about my project here and update this thread when I do some new stuff. So far it has no title (I'm considering Doom 2 Remix, or various names to that effect). Basically, I'm remaking Doom 2 in my style, taking inspiration from the original levels but adding new features. So really, it's Doom 2 how I'd do it. It's for ZDoom, and so far I've done a fair bit of MAP01. Here's a few screenies to get started.

The start room.

An outside view.

Look familiar?

For MAP01, I'm trying to create a sort-of starport feel, set on a small island. I'm working on a spaceship using ZDoom's slopes but that's going to take a while. The exit for this level is an elevator which leads underground to the Underhalls, following Doom 2's story.

Any comments are welcome.

I had thought of doing a project similar to this a while ago, but it never got off the ground. What you're doing looks pretty nice so far, though. Keep up the good work.

By the way, is that the sky you'll be using for the finished level?

Relica Religia said:

I had thought of doing a project similar to this a while ago, but it never got off the ground. What you're doing looks pretty nice so far, though. Keep up the good work.

By the way, is that the sky you'll be using for the finished level?

Thanks. And no, I just forgot to remove it from my texture WAD :P It'll probably be the original or something similar.

I have a few questions regarding this project.

1. Are you designing the maps from scratch, or did you base them directly on the original WAD file?
2. Are you doing all of Doom 2?
3. Are you using the original monster placement, or are you making the levels harder in that respect?

This is like my megawad, also a remake of Doom2, though my levels are original creations inspired by Doom2.

Looks sweet! Don't poison it with overdetail or gimmicky zdoom stuff!!

Use3D said:

And go easy on the copy/paste. Otherwise this looks pretty cool.

Use3D said:

<_<
I've never known Zdoom was poisonous.

EDIT: Nice shots Zarkyb. Keep it up! And I like the concept, very much indeed. Doom2's are the maps that should be remade ;-)

WildWeasel said:

I have a few questions regarding this project.

1. Are you designing the maps from scratch, or did you base them directly on the original WAD file?
2. Are you doing all of Doom 2?
3. Are you using the original monster placement, or are you making the levels harder in that respect?

1. Designed from scratch.

2. Not all at once... maybe a few levels at a time.

3. Original monster placement. The levels will probably be a little harder.

BlackFish said:

http://wip.paci-fist.org/ works but wadsinprogress.info doesn't for me. It looks great so far.

Tried that already, no luck.

Looking at those maps while thinking of them being the levels in Doom II just feels so, nice. This really interests and excites me. The look of them is lovely, new, yet still true to the original. Looks fantastic.

You rule, Zarky.

Looks better, and makes more sense than KDiZD does. Doom 2's maps need much more of an overhaul than Doom 1 Episode 1's ever did. It's good that you're remaking the maps from scratch, too.

These screens realy look like you play an original doomII level,i am impressed those screens look pretty damm sweet.
Nice screens zarkyb,i can't wait to play it :)

There's just something about remaking the original DooM levels for an advanced port that's appealing. If you need help with general design ideas give me a PM; I can't map for shit but I sure as hell like my rendition of the DooM II "story".

I had a similar idea to this one, except insteading of creating levels based off the originals, they would be based off the level's name, sort of like a "What's in a Name?" type dealie. For instance, Entryway would be an actual entrance to a base, Underhalls would be a sewer system that leads into a buried cathedral, etc.

Anyway, this project is looking good! I can't wait to see the finished project.

Looks nice man. Whatever the name, and however close to KZiZD it is, make sure it at least has a better name than the former (or at least one that isn't a pain to abbreviate).

Good luck man, lot of work for a solo job.

Looks better, and makes more sense than KDiZD does. Doom 2's maps need much more of an overhaul than Doom 1 Episode 1's ever did. It's good that you're remaking the maps from scratch, too.

Most senseless comment I have ever read! Nevertheless, won't start any flamewar, screens look amazing and I like the concept :) But beware of the usage "Doom2 the way it was meant to be", just a small hint ;)

I'd suggest "Doom 2 the way I personally think it ought to be" :D.

And yes, the mod does look pretty fine. I've thought of doing this myself several times :). In fact, I already remade map01 for Surge 2, though it doesn't look anywhere near as good as this does.

Nightmare: Are you aware of just how many Map01 remakes there are out there (even for Doom 2)? Gothic99 Map01 is a Map01 remake...

But that aside: this is looking good, Zarkyb, and I wouldn't mind making a map for you at some point. If you don't mind, I would love to remake The Gauntlet (I know that one so well...I test my weapon mods with it all the time).

SWEET. This, I'd like to see *actually* get finished. No doubt I'll use it all the time instead of my DOOM2.wad(well, for maps anyway)!

@Russell - Always pimping thineself.

Zarkyb, you have any other doom wads or mods you've worked on? To say "how you think doom 2 should be" is quite a wide range from someone who's work i've never seen. Im sure it'll be good, hell it's using Zdoom, but i want to have an idea of what your "style" is.

Killionaire said:

Zarkyb, you have any other doom wads or mods you've worked on? To say "how you think doom 2 should be" is quite a wide range from someone who's work i've never seen. Im sure it'll be good, hell it's using Zdoom, but i want to have an idea of what your "style" is.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12782

And using ZDoom does not automatically make it a good map :P

Those screenshots are perfect. That's just the amount of detail I like to see in a map (and go for, myself). I hope this project goes somewhere and doesn't just stagnate and die.