Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

radius = 1

Just noticed something curious: teleport trigger 244 (linedef to linedef, WR) acts like a W1 teleport when dealing with things that have radius = 1..?

Well I can't pretend to know exactly what would cause that, except that line-to-line teleporters are very sensitive, and maybe the thing is being rejected, in this case inappropriately, by the code designed by Lee to prevent repeated teleports, which could happen in an earlier version of BOOM -- a thing would get caught jumping back and forth between the two lines forever due to numeric instability, which is VERY bad in the line-to-line teleporting code, and could not be fixed short of changing it to use floating-point math, which would be both slower and completely incompatible.

I wouldn't want to weaken the restrictions to allow radius 1 objects to work properly, because this would probably make objects start getting caught in teleport loops again. Messing with that code would be playing with fire, so to speak.

No need for a fix; just mentioning it in case it wasn't known. Since things with radius > 1 work OK I don't see a practical problem.

The funny thing is... my setup was a long conveyor belt, with a modified EESkyboxCam thing (radius 1; height 1) riding along it and using a line-to-line WR teleport to repeat the process. You'd think the teleport would fail at the first pass if this linechecking code was at fault..? Instead it works OK until the second pass.

OK well this is kind of confusing, and I will look into it. Of course, it would be easier if you uploaded an example somewhere, but if you can't, I can whip one up on my own.