Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zodiak

ATi or nVidia

What do you think is the better card maker?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the better card maker?

• nVidia
    • ATi
    • Some no named sh*t
    • I do not give a f*ck
    • 3Dfx lol

My cousin just bought a ATi Radion Saphire and keeps braggin it's better than my nVidia-the way it's meant to be played...literally. Just wanting to see your guys opinions!

P.S. Sorry if it has been asked before!

I've only owned 3dfx and nvidia cards. can't comment on ati, or what company is "better".

I have a Ati Radeon 9800xt I prefer it. But it all depends what you use it for. Basically what games you play on it.

I currently have the Radeon 7500. One day I hope to have a super-awesome graphics card that will make my screen explode with awesomeness. Of course by then I will already have a new screen handy.

Quast said:

you don't know what card you have?

Yea I do. A nVidia FX5700 I think...can't tell for sure because I'm not on my comp.

I currently have a 9600xt. My X800 Pro should be delivered tomorrow. Frankly all I care about are benchmarks, feasibility, and price. I chose the x800 because it's reasonably priced and I dont have a free PCI slot for a 6800 ultra.

I'm just fine with my 9600xt. Plus, I'm too poor to afford a new card right now. If I can't run it, it's not worth playing.

I've got an ATi 9800 Pro 256mb card and it's worked just fine with me. When it comes to Windows, I'd pick ATi over nVidia personally. But, when it comes to Linux, ATi leaves something to be desired and then some.

And actually, just for kicks, I've always wanted to use one of the cards that Sun puts out, like the XVR-4000. I can't see it running games well (assuming I could recompile them on the platform).

For now, I'll go with ATI, since I own a Radeon 9800 Pro, and it has served me quite well so far.

ATI 9600 Pro 128mb in my main box, nVidia GeForce FX GO 5700 64mb in my laptop. Both are nice cards. Obviously the ATI card outperforms the GeForce, but I can run UT2K4 at max detail and HL2 at max detail so I'm happy.

Goat said:

Whichever Card is Best at any Given Time.

I second that. That's the only sensible way to go.

That's not the only sensible way to go.

It should be "whatever card is best for you at any given moment."

At the moment, the whole nvidia is better with OpenGL and ATI is better with directX or whatever is true.

How that translates into my gaming is -- I barely ever play Source engine games. I play games that are so old, it doesn't matter what modern video card you have -- that, and DOOM 3. And I know I'll be playing quite a lot of Quake IV when it comes out. Oh, and I dabble in Painkiller since it's part of my duties.

The latter three games all prefer nvidia -- hence, I have a BFG 6800 GT OC. If I played Counter-Strike Source constantly or something, I literally would probably have whatever ATI's latest is.

Hey, I know it's off topic but I wanna buy a new card. I would most likely buy a nVidia because I like them better hands-down. Can you recomend a really good card in the 300$ range? Please post on what you think is a good card in that range. From nVidia. Besides the 6800 Ultra because it's 400.

Cards are like cars (and most other products)... even though manufacturers can shout out performance stats until their throats get sore, people will like different brands for a wide variety of reasons (personal reasons, not necessarily logical). Plus, there are a lot of aspects to consider... one product is rarely objectively best at *everything*.

This question is almost like asking if Pepsi is better than Coca-Cola.

Infinite Ammunition said:

can you put new graphics cards into laptops now? i always figured the graphics processing was done onboard

AFAIK, you can't replace the graphics cards easily. When buying this laptop, one of my requirements was a separate graphics processor using its own memory, since most shared memory with the main RAM.

I trust nvidia more not to release sucky drivers. They always seemed to have better quality control than ATI in that area, so personally I would go with nvidia.