Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberDemonHunter

My first wad! UAC HQ

This is my first set of maps Im workin on right now. So Im learning how to make maps while im doing it. Im not estimating when its gonna be done, because if I do ill get lazy and slack off and it will never get done. Ive finally had some time to draw up some maps. Heres all the info I got about it. Its called UAC Main HQ...

The story:
After the incident on Mars, the UAC identifies you as one of the best marines ever to join up. Because of this you are selected to go on a solo mission into the UAC main HQ to wash out the hellspawn which randomely appeared inside the base. Your objective is to reclaim some important files from the lab computers and give the hellspawn a damn good fight.

There are to be 9 levels including a secret level. Here are the level names and descriptions so far...

MAP01: Alpha Sector
We will be going in through the hangar. You will be taken into the base by a dropship. After that you are all alone. You must gain access to the lift that will take you to the lower sectors.

MAP02: Beta Sector
This sector is an armory and weapons assembly facility. You should have no problem getting your hands on a nice strong gun. But that sector is also very dangerous. we bioscanned the sector and there are A LOT of bio signatures down there. Use EXTREME caution. Good Luck!

MAP03: Delta Sector
This sector is mainly the Living Quarters. All you need to do is make your way to the elevator.

MAP04: Lift Station
You're doing good. Looks like you've made your way to the lift station. This is the central pathway to most of the sectors in the base. You need to get to Echo Sector. Just find the right lift and go down.

MAP05: Catacombs
The lift to Echo Sector was blocked. Now the only way into Echo Sector is through the catacombs. The catacombs are just a run down sector where the base used to keep its power generators. Theres no power down there so you're gonna need to develop nightvision.

MAP06: Echo Sector
You have finally reached Echo Sector. This is perhaps the most dangerous part of the base. Even before the invasion. These labs house some of the most vile experiments gone wrong. There's no doubt you'll encounter some of the weirdest sh*t you've ever seen down here. Be alert you have more enemies than you think.

MAP07: Omega Sector
Omega Sector has become the hellspawns domicile. This is also the main computer station. Looks like you're having no luck at all. All you need to do is get the files and get out.

Map08: Evacuation
Oh good job! The whole base is collapsing. You'd better get out of there fast. Use the emergency tunnel out of the sector.

Map09: *secret level* Gamma Sector
Youve made it to the marines' training sector. This place must be covered with former humans. Just blast your way through!

Well thats it. Ill add some screenshots as soon as I can. There may even be a part 2 ;D

well golly, we all know those randomly appearing hellspawn can be a pain in the arse. Seriously though, I'll reserve my opinion for when you have some screenies out. This is your first wad? great to hear. we can always use more mappers.

CyberDemonHunter said:

lol thx ill work hard to bring u the screens ;)

lol they better be good lol

DooMBoy said:

lol they better be good lol

Like your mom?

CyberDemonHunter said:

Oh good job! The whole base is...

Lol.

Yes, I want to see when you get on your way as well. First wads are always the most enjoyable to make (IMO).

Ok, I have all the maps drawn, and I've had some hard spots with DoomBuilder errors and stuff, but im finally ready to start the actual mapmaking process, some screens should be available by this weekend, and i might release a demo for u guys! also its only 8 levels long so I might add some more before the final realease. Thx for waiting so long, I'll start working on it all tommorow.

Just a question, do you draw them out on a piece of [lol] paper [/lol] or something? Like a plan? I tend to just let my head go with it. Makes for some "interesting" areas. Heh, hope to see some of them screens! Keep on mapping.

i use bits of paper for planning maps. especially when at work/ on the train/ in front of the telly and i've got an idea. alternatively it also helps when you're halfway through a map and can't figure out how to make all your interesting new areas and traps fit together without overuse of keys/teleporters/linearity.

When I first started mapping, drawing was something I did all the time.
But when I tried to make it it would look noting like my drawing.
I usually think of an structure how I want it to look, and most of the time im getting pretty close to it when its done.
But most of the time I just start editing and slap some sectors together and see if it looks acceptable.
Most of the time it looks very cool, but not always:(
For me the rule is I have to be impressed, in order that something would stay or not.
If im not impressed by it myself....its gone.

Yeh i draw it out on paper. I'm an artist so the pencil is easier for me to plan things out with. Yeah I'll prolly release screens of the first 2 levels. i had some ideas for some more maps for it, and a NEW NAME. Well with all of my ideas, the wad is going to be 10 maps long with a sequel. You guys think thats good for my first wad? I put a lot of creativity into it. Im making it with 10 levels because I have no more ideas than 8 levels for the UAC base, and if the wad goes big, then there would be much anticipation giving the player an awesome feeling when he finally gets his hands on the sequel. Kind of like doom 2 to doom 3. Well give me your opinions about this!

Hmm, I was making a megawad for my first thing, I got up to level 15 I think, it was scraped 'cause it sucked. Heh, as long as your maps have good gameplay, they'll do just fine with the community. Detail isn't a key factor, but it is good to have a level of detail. You should try sticking to a level of consistent detial throughout this map set. Makes it have an overall feel of, I don't know, atmosphere and you feel like you are doing something. Yes, do post some screens.

You want and idea or something? Here is my one and only released wad so far.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13444

Hope I've helped you. Inform me how your project is going. If you need something, just ask. ;)

I kinda need something... Ok, im getting this weird error with DoomBuilder. For some reason every time I try to enter 3D mode, it restarts my comp! Now, I always get this message missing playpal or w/e. I have not tryed just using doom 2. The last time I tried I was trying to take some glass textures from Eternall. I have a feeling 3D mode will work if I just use doom 2 without any texture uploads. But the thing is I kinda really need some glass textures for my wad, especially for the first level which has kind of an observatory area similiar to a doom 3 room where people watch ships come in and out. Thx for your help!

Hmm, did you try copying all the textures into your wad using XWE or Wintex? Then when you load your level in Doombuilder, select your wad for the extra textures. With the playpal thing, have you set the correct path to your doom wad? Go to tools, config, files, then locate the iwad for what engine you are making the maps for. hope this helps.

Equinox, I do have a suggestion how you can get that window effect into your wad. You might need ZDoom for it. If you use ZDoom, while you are building your wad, when you want to place the window effect in, draw a line def and choose the texture SHAWN2. After you do that, make the line def action 260 which makes the texture transparent. It's really cool and I garauntee it'll work. Good luck trying it.

P.S.: You don't have to go through all the trouble making a whole new texture.

-Alando1

Cyberdemonhunter, I am very glad that you are making your first wad. I hope it'll be great and I hope that you enjoyed making your wad.

-Alando1

Have you got any screens ready yet? Don't give up.

alando1: Good suggestion. ;)

sry Ive been gone a while, I havent had access to my comp in the last month hehe but I just added 3 more maps to the lineup >=D and a new name, Ill announce the name along with the release date as it all comes together. Screenz soon to come >=D

If U are equinox , (the real one).You don´t have to show your wads. I just say . equinox.wad was the best designed wad i´ve ever seen.
It inspired me...
RESPECT

a common misconception I didnt create Equinox.wad, altho it IS the best one ever, and you can expect the same kind of quality, and then some from me. Im workin hard to bring you a demo of it, so just wait a little bit. DoomBuilder isnt workin right and my computer is a piece of sh*t. but im sure it will be released soon, the demo anywayz..

ok, I need an answer to this question before I start, should I make my wad Zdoom/Zdoom based source ports compatible only? or compatable with normal doom? im leanin towards zdoom only, but i want a second opinion. thx! tha maps are gonna be great, Ive been slackin and I'm really sorry about that, well Ill get to work on fixing doombuilder right after you guys give me your advice!

I made a page already I havent posted screens yet because i cant I have a problem when i try to use doombuilder It says everything is alright no problems or nothing but then when i try to go to three D mode it restarts my comp Any suggestions?

NOTE my god damn sticky keys wont turn off so i couldnt use proper punctiuation Whoever invented sticky keys is a dumbass

A driver issue perhaps? Does your video card support gl rendering? And we need some screens, or else this wad won't be too popular...

Its not driver, I have DirectX 9

Its not the vid card cuz the vid card supports GL rendering. *sigh* I guess ill just do my maps without 3D mode, it will take MUCH longer, since I use my 3d mode to sort of quick test my maps.