Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

Single-authored 32-level megawads?

Was there ever a successfully created 32-level megawad that was created by one person, and one person only? I'm asking this because of my slacky progress with Stone Stratagems.

I've built 18+ maps, including those 30-something maps on paper, but I'm getting all burned out on finding new ideas.

For what I've created so far, I'd say that I've done a pretty good job don't you think? This does not mean that I'm giving up. I'll eventually begin to work on it again sometime, but it's just a question of when and how.

Heh, I had one. It's since been broken into Millennium maps, a smaller add-on and the levels that were too shit to do anything with/too unoriginal were dropped. It would kicked Final Doom's ass back in the day, but not now.

Vilecore is a good one imo. Darren Finch (aka Doom_Dude) did that one. Some of the maps lack detail, but all of them play great. The later ones in the pack have terrific aesthetics too.

By the way things look now, it doesn't look like I'm going to make it up to 30 maps. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm thinking on trying to get it up to at least map20 since there's one of those storyline breaks after map20. If I can't do that, I want to at least finish map18. I just can't let it sit there the way it is right now.

I'm lost on that map, but I have a blurry idea on making a map similar to Wormhole, but again I'm just about out of ideas, and I still have map18 to worry about.

/me looks through my maps on paper...

Update: Hey, maybe I'll have the final level be Portal from my "paper wads" which I call them. I wish I had some kind of way to copy it, save it as an image file of some sort, and upload it, but I don't have a scanner. I don't think my idea above about making a map similar to Wormhole is going to work anyway.

Herian and Herian 2 were both made by one person if I remember correctly, making him probably the only person to make TWO megawads singlehandedly.

Was there ever a successfully created 32-level megawad that was created by one person, and one person only?

Herian and Herian II were created by the same person (don't have the URL handy, since I'm at work now). Demonfear was also done solely by Adam Williamson (I think).

Hi Stphrz :)

Vilecore is a good one imo. Darren Finch (aka Doom_Dude) did that one. Some of the maps lack detail, but all of them play great. The later ones in the pack have terrific aesthetics too.

I agree...the detail is on the low side, especially in the early maps, yet detail isn't everything. The thing is, I was dependant on DoomCad's garbage node builder at the time, which is very restricting when it comes to making angles and round pillars made of a dozen linedefs....etc (I didn't know what Zennode was until near the end and then never figured out how to use it until afterwards..oh well). Vilecore was good practise in level building and I think you can see a gradual improvemnt as you pass through the maps from start to finish. Now when I play it, I see a million things that I wish I'd had put into it..at least in the first half or so. Now having said all that, I will say that there's nothing in Vilecore that I dislike. Anyhow, now it's time to move forward and make Vilecore II. Does anybody know if a single guy has ever made 2, 32 level, megawads back to back before? I'm gonna give it a shot and I could be insane ;)

I am about to begin one for EDGE. It's just for fun, if I make it to 32 levels, wonderful, if not, I won't care.

Actually, I have a couple of things to say about the subject;

1) With the lack of community spirit in the Doom community, I'd say that a project should NEVER even be started, unless you're sure you could do 32 maps alone... it may end up that way!

2) On a similar note, I would have said Murderous Intent was ending up that way, but I have actually gotten a map from a 'third party', Andy Leaver (Profiled recently at DoomCenter).

Actually, if anybody else is game for it, I propose starting a team to specifically produce no-frills, 32 level megaWADs regularly.... but, I can dream...

hmm. Let me rephrase it. Has anyone ever created 2 megawads singlehandedly that has top notch levels?