Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Doom2 Episode 1 UV Speed 3:30 (BUILT)

I think the title pretty much explains it. It's built so naturally it's pretty shocking to watch and not at all pleasing to the eyes. But it's 4 seconds off Andreys Episode 1 time so I'm pretty happy. As it says in the txt file I'm unsure as to whether I can continue it so I'm just going to put it on here so you can all enjoy it.

Indeed... I hope you won't take offense when I say that I prefer Budko's movies, since they were more elegant in design. You did good to knock a few more seconds from the level times, though. :)

Regarding the map01 time, Cam's built/TAS 0:04 was for (TAS)MBF, and relied on MBF allowing wallrunning in a direction that Doom2.exe doesn't (north to south).

On the other hand, he didn't use S50 while turning and the last second was TAS rather than built - don't know if that would be enough to make the difference though (the wallrun apparently saved two gametics). Cam did say "I'm sure it's possible with the original engine", but that is yet to be demonstrated.

Vile said:

Indeed... I hope you won't take offense when I say that I prefer Budko's movies, since they were more elegant in design. You did good to knock a few more seconds from the level times, though. :)

Yeh Andrey's movies are definitely more enjoyable to watch. This is just purely to try for a low time.

RamboBones said:

Edit: why does it keep on censoring d-e-f-i-n-a-t-e-l-y ?

I guess that was a spelling that the mods got tired of seeing. The correct spelling is "definitely."

entryway said:

I like to watch it with slow motions (realtic_clock_rate ~ 30) Nice work.

Yeh, and if you look closely on some of the turns, you'll see me swearing. God I grew to hate corners (and doors) whilst doing this.

Well The demo was entertaining for sure, and you definitely deserve respect for your efforts, but I would have expected a faster time. Perhaps there are some places where monsters got in the way where simply using TAS would be much simpler and ultimately end up cutting some time with more lucky passes. Cameron also said that like 13 seconds on map03 was possible, but I have no idea what trick he would do to make it. Anyways good job on it. I'm sure my built demos are quite imperfect too so don't feel like I'm disrespecting you.

Yeh the times weren't the greatest, and I too expected myself to do better. I think it comes down do built demos are just hard to do, especially one this long. And as I said in the txt, for a weeks work I'm pretty happy with the results especially when you remember it's the first demo I've ever built. Once I write some documentation I'll release the tool I used to make this if people are intereste in it (not sure how many people actually build demos these days so.....)

I just watched it and I must say it's pretty impressive, I don't really care if your demo is .2 seconds slower than another guy who did the same thing, it doesn't matter to me :P I'd like to see some more built demos from you, if possible.

RamboBones said:

I think the title pretty much explains it. It's built so naturally it's pretty shocking to watch and not at all pleasing to the eyes. But it's 4 seconds off Andreys Episode 1 time so I'm pretty happy. As it says in the txt file I'm unsure as to whether I can continue it so I'm just going to put it on here so you can all enjoy it.

I think you should upload this demo (and any other built demos) to the Compet-N. They are accepting built demos, they do not give points tho.