Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Macro11_1

Use of MP3

I was wondering, is there any way I can use an MP3 in my wad, off this site ocremix.org?

If so, what should/would i include in the accompanying .txt file?

If I cant, then I will release my level with out Mp3 of that site, If I can, then I will release my level as is, but with credit to the Author of the Mp3.

No, Im not asking for HOW to put one in, Im asking for whether or not its valid for me to be using mp3's from that site, and whether or not the opinion on it is that I should get permission first.

If you're planning to upload it to the Doom Community Archive, then the relevant rule (from here) is this:

4. Do not embed commercial MP3s as music in WADs. If you have made
your own music as an MP3, or I can verify that you had it made
especially for you by one of the folks in the community, I'll
accept it as part of your wad.

There's also this:

6. In spite of the difficulty of doing so, you need to obtain permission
from anyone whose works you use in your uploads if it's not all
original work. If there is no statement in their text file that says
you can use something in your own wads, then you can't. Permission
will be considered denied if not specified.

Of course, the requirement to get permission before using other people's stuff is not just a rule of the archive.

Hmm, the point I am driving at, is that they are using matereal that are from commercialy licenced games, so in turn If I were to do this, would this be allowed?

Well they are allowed to release it on OCR, so you should be allowed to release it in a wad. Basically treat each remix like a cover or tribute, and credit the author of that.

Ask permission. Even though these are derivative works, they are still mostly original. This is not the case if you just take someone's song and stick it in your wad. Also it's just courteous.

I wasent shure how to do this, but this is the email I sent to the guy.

Excuse me, Psychrophyte (Zac Brier) I was wondering If I could have
permission to use your remix In a custom level for a Game called
DooM2.

I will give you full credits for the remix, (and include all the info
on the origional source matereal)

If you decide not to let me use this, please can you send a reply
stating so, and if possible, why?

P.S. Lol, I dont know how else to ask this. ;)

P.S.S. I love the remix =D
Should I have asked differently? I dont know the person, and I am going to think that he/she is going to find this request kind of weird. =|

By the way, before you get excited the map is for Legacy.

Heh, ok, just expect some retarded response about Doom's age and/or OMG GO PLAY CS NOOB and/or how vanilla can't play MP3 (and yes, I do know some ports can)...

People have to understand that Doom is not dead :P

... go ahead and use the song (which one is it? I
have three up on OCR, though I'm going to guess you're
talking about Ghosts of the Marble Hall... that's the
one I usually get e-mails about.) ... Good luck with your project.

- Zac
Whee, this is a snippit from the reply. =) so, now to include him in the .txt, and script something in to credit him when you beat the level =)

i think it's enough to credit him in the txt file. Imagine this:

"You finish of the last imp. With bloody hands, and almost no ammo, you press the button. There, you've finished the level. Now to go to the next area and explo...The music was made by Zac !! ...explore the next area ..." :P

A music credit on the intermission screen might be a nice touch, if you plan on customizing it. By way of precedent, Eternal gave the name of the piece of music in addition to the level name and the map author's name.

But of course a simple credit in the text file would be the standard and fully sufficient approach.

Vince, I know that legacy, Zdoom, Skulltag, and possibly Zdameon support Mp3 format songs. Maby edge, and/or eternity, dont know, some one else can come allong and inform that.

I can just point out a bug with Legacy that will be removed in the next release, that you have to rename the Mp3 song from D_RUNNIN, to O_RUNNIN, and then add the -digmusic to the perameters when you launch the game. When they change this, I am going to update my wad accordingly. =)

jdoom is mp3 compatible too. Edge is, at least with oggs. It seems, from stuff i've read here, that it can't play mp3s anymore .. strange stuff.

We removed MP3 support from EDGE since (at the time) the owners of the MP3 format said that if you make any software which uses MP3 (even software that's free to download) then you need to pay them a licensing fee. We didn't feel like paying a couple thousand dollars for this "privilege", and have switched to a patent-free no-license-fee alternative (OGG/Vorbis).

Well, I have uploaded the map, just hope everythings ok. ;P there are bugs, but nothing that will hinder the map's gameplay, so I am not going to update it. The file name is tdkrt