Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

Skulltag

Friends, fellow doomers. I'd like to bring your attention to skulltag.

http://www.skulltag.com

I know, i know, 70%+ if you know of it's existance, but if you've never played it before, I wholeheartedly recommend that you give it a shot. Carn's latest version, .96c, runs amazingly well, complete with bots and zdaemon compatible CTF. Skulltag needs more players badly, not to mention some artists to help carnevil finish some of the sprites he has in mind.

Funny thing is, skulltag also happens to be the only online gameplay port that DOESN'T fuck with my display at all.

If you haven't before: give skulltag a shot.
If you have but didn't like it: give skulltag a shot again, it's a hell of a lot better

And darn it, I forgot to mention that skulltag has a buncha stuff that has wonderful potential for SINGLE PLAYER, too, including new monsters and weapons.

EDIT: be sure to come to #skulltag at irc.oftc.net! The folks there are quite friendly.

Bashe said:

Yeah, I wish the Skulltag community was more popular myself, too.

Just be more active in the Skulltag community, and you will help to achieve this. ... although maybe not YOU specifically :P (BUUUUUUUURN!)

If you play it, they will come!

My major problem with Skulltag is that it is perpetually about six versions behind vanilla zDooM. If that were not the case I would be free to stick all my weapon mods in my Skulltag folder and run around killing Abaddons with Xaser's arsenal of destruction at double speed. Also I suck at DooM. But c'mon, I have a life, I can't spend forever playing DooM.* And tell me you didn't suck at one point.

*NOES!

I've never tried the multiplayer side of DOOM. I'd like to though, is SkullTag a good place to start?

Terra-jin said:

I've never tried the multiplayer side of DOOM. I'd like to though, is SkullTag a good place to start?

Yeah. It's a great port, and it's really easy to find games and start them. It has its own internal server browser, and also comes with a special version of IDE, which you can also use to browse servers. In addition, it also easily let you host games as well. It's quite a nifty little program :)

Anyway, you can find Skulltag at http://www.skulltag.com/

I've been putting this off because of lack of harddrive space, lack of free time, and DC. And I've been playing Unreal co-op.
/me downloads

Stupid question: are there connectivity issues between regular Skulltag and the FreeDoom version (i.e. WAD authentication)? I only have UDoom.

Numbermind said:

Stupid question: are there connectivity issues between regular Skulltag and the FreeDoom version (i.e. WAD authentication)? I only have UDoom.

Not that I'm aware. As far as I know, there should only be an issue if you try to have a DM on the existing Doom 2 levels.

Carnevil said:

Yeah. It's a great port,

omg braggart!!!11 :P
But yes, use Skulltag, now damnit!

I've played Skulltag online quite a few times, and it really is a good port, but IMO it feels like it takes away from that Doom feeling. Maybe its the runes, skins, weapons, monsters, awards, etc... It just feels like there is too much extra stuff.

EarthQuake said:

I've played Skulltag online quite a few times, and it really is a good port, but IMO it feels like it takes away from that Doom feeling. Maybe its the runes, skins, weapons, monsters, awards, etc... It just feels like there is too much extra stuff.

I understand that not everyone likes all that extra stuff, which is why you can turn ALL of it off. There's options to turn off skins, CHEAT skins, icons, and medals. As far the items go, you don't HAVE to play a level made specifically for Skulltag. It's not like Skulltag only plays Skulltag-only levels. That would be retarded. You can still play all the classics like Dwango 5 without Skulltag "interference".

MOREOVER, talk about about the Doom feeling... Skulltag has an "oldschool" gameplay mode which emulates doom2.exe better than any other port. It not only turns off all the stuff you mentioned (you can't even HAVE skulltag items in it), but it also enables all of the little movement rules in doom2.exe, which allows for things like the plasma grabbing on map01, wallrunning, not being able to jump, etc.

So, not only does Skulltag have a lot of great new stuff, it acknowledges that not everyone WANTS it, and thus gives options to disable ALL of it. It's just all-around quality from both prespectives.

Terra-jin said:

YES! It's much better than ZDaemon. At least, I never get the massive lag that I get on Zdaemon when I play on Skulltag. Maybe it just has better servers though. Aslo all the new weapons and such give Doom all the peices I always thought were lacking. Of course, I've always been a fanatical Quake 2 player. :P

Submerge said:

EDIT: be sure to come to #skulltag at irc.oftc.net! The folks there are quite friendly.

More friendly than #zdoom!

I can't believe I don't know the absolute answers to these questions yet, even after all these years! :D

But -- here are a couple of things that keep me away from ST. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can't record demos in ST, right?

Also, you can't do the BFG trick, correct?

And you can't wallrun, correct?

I mean, taking out those "bugs" or whatever you want to call them takes the DOOM out of DOOM. It's like taking strafejumping or bunny hopping out of Quake games.

No, No, and No.

Those were transformed into compatibility settings. And, as Carn said above, "oldschool" mode emulates the first 2. Lucky for you, it's still very oldschool. However, most servers have the newschool stuff, but that doesn't stop you from joining an "oldschool" server or setting up one of your own.

By the way, new server launcher = greatness.

skulltag -record demo

If you want to record multiplayer demos, IDE SE and other launchers have a setting where you can run a parameter along with Skulltag, so you can dump it there. Doom Connector does the same.

Yeah, I think the same thing happened when I tried that a year ago or whenever it was.

It recorded an lmp, but it won't playback in ST. It says there are no players in it, and the lmp is only 1k.

I'm not sure what's causing this.

Mogul said:

Yeah, I think the same thing happened when I tried that a year ago or whenever it was.

It recorded an lmp, but it won't playback in ST. It says there are no players in it, and the lmp is only 1k.

I'm not sure what's causing this.

You can't record network demos yet. There hasn't been a whole lot of demand for them, so... <shrugs>

Everything else, such as the silent BFG trick and the wallrunning work perfectly to my knowledge.

Heck, I say go for it.

If I could get Skulltag demos of good players hosted at Challenge-TV, I would bet there would be a significant increase in players.

We host the largest archive of ZDaemon demos on the planet there, and people visit every day to download them. Some of the really good matches that are submitted there get over 100 downloads, which isn't much in comparison to some of the numbers we get with more popular games, but it's pretty dang good for something as small as ZDaemon.

What do you think?

who would want to watch the skulltag players (about 4) play like newbs on retarded maps with retarded add on weapons and runes and the gayness alike?

badfish you're about three seconds away from a ban. If you don't like skulltag that's perfectly fine, but nobody wants to put up with your shit and oh so intelligent trolls. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, even though I know I shouldn't. This is your first and only warning.

I'm closing this and the ZDaemon thread. Keep this shit off DW.