Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom

Doom 64

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get an image of that pentagram with the satan head superimposed ontop of it (if you have played doom 64, you know what I am talking about. it is the same thing that appears in the background after you complete a level, and those funky key items that make the laser gun better look the same as this symbol)

Oh, don't get me wrong...a lot of the graphics kicked ass. Yet the gameplay kinda sucked. Just the 64 controller gives me a hard time.

I was disappointed with doom 64's decision to stick with the "sprite copied onto a 3D map" method of drawing enemies, but convex polygon images take alot of cycles, and so I think that they did a good job replacing the lacking enemy and item graphics with beautiful architecture and surroundings. but I must say, the game play wasnt all that great....

I don't see why everyone hates Doom 64 so much. Sure it doesn't feel as much like Doom as other ports, but it's a good game. It's dark (sometimes too dark), atmospheric, and it portays a sense of helplessness even more intense that Doom did. Now would somebody please explain why it is so bad?

Why is doom64 so bad?

Well, you outlined its highpoints, but mentioned one key factor: "Sure it doesn't feel as much like Doom as other ports".

That's why doom64 is so bad. When I think of doom, I think instantly of E1M1 and running through at lightspeed mowing zombies down with a shotgun. Doom64 was *too* different, in my book, to be called Doom. It should've been its own game--the monsters looked wack, and hovered above the ground, the maps were vague and blurry (I admit, I never played really deep into the game), the music just wasn't really as engrossing as Doom's music.

It just didn't have the same doom feel to me. All my friends say doom sucks when I talk about it, and I ask why, and they cite the 64 version. Once I show em the PC, they change their opinion.

It's not a bad game, but it's not doom, and doesn't deserve to be called Doom. If you're going to change upon such a legendary name like Doom, then at least make the change for the better, not the worse

-|RaptoR|

I didnt hate doom 64 at all! infact, I was just playing it when I figured a desktop image of that funky symbol (discribed above) would be really cool, so I got online and I looked for one. I think that doom 64's atmosphere was better than any of the other dooms. the only reason I didnt like it as much as the other dooms was that I expect so much more out of nintendo 64, so I guess it is just disappointment. anyway, as for my image, I am just going to do this the hard way. I will download an emulator and doom 64 rom, take a screen shot of the think I want, touch it up in photoshop, and post it on a geocities page. I will make a new thread or post on this one when it is done for anyone who is interested in it.

Alright. I can understand that people don't like it because it didn't feel like Doom, but that doesn't make it a bad game. You said it should have been a stand alone game... well think of it as such then. When you say if it sucks or not, let that be determined by the game itself, not the legacy behind it.

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get an image of that pentagram with the satan head superimposed ontop of it (if you have played doom 64, you know what I am talking about. it is the same thing that appears in the background after you complete a level, and those funky key items that make the laser gun better look the same as this symbol)

I have a poster of that symbol. It's on my bedroom wall. It's really cool-looking, I think it came with the game.

Maybe if it was designed for TWO hands instead of THREE it would function better. Was that thing designed for those mutants that are still being born in Hiroshima?

Was that thing designed for those mutants that are still being born in Hiroshima?

Seems like a possibility to me, weird though.

I like the level design of doom64, but the problem with it is it is really annoying that you can't move as quickly as in PC doom. In doom64 the cyberdemon can be dangerous when you have any weapon, but in PC doom it is possible to punch it out.

I like the level design of doom64, but the problem with it is it is really annoying that you can't move as quickly as in PC doom. In doom64 the cyberdemon can be dangerous when you have any weapon, but in PC doom it is possible to punch it out.

Exactly! I thought I was the only one who thought this. Sure, the levels are super cool, but unless you use the analog stick (eww...) you turn way too slow. Turning is super fast on the PC and the PSX, but on the N64 it's annoyingly slow. That and the N64 controller is the worst controller ever made.

Sure, the levels are super cool, but unless you use the analog stick (eww...) you turn way too slow.

I said this before and I'll say it again. That's what the sensitivity function is for! I turn it up to the point where it's just before 1/4 way, then set the controls:

R = use
C-up = map
L = speed/strafe on (since I never use it)
C-left = strafe left
C-right = strafe right
B = weapon backward
A = weapon forward

...and I have no problem.

I guess some people don't have the ability to adapt to both the mouse, the PSX controller, and the N64 controller.

To my opinion, besides PSX Doom, I'd say Doom 64 would be the next best console Doom game. (Oh go ahead. Give me your worst!)

I don't care if you can adjust the sensitivity of the stick. I like using the d-pad, and you can't change the turn speed with it. Doom just is plain annoying playing with a joystick, no matter the sensitivity. The game doesn't feel like Doom. Even if you play it emulated, using the keyboard as the stick, it still doesn't feel right. Knowing that Midway did both PSX Doom and Doom 64 you'd think the d-pad control would be as good as PSX Doom. But it isn't.

higher-res cleaner graphics, the psx sounds, a new weapon (the unmaker), incredibly cool levels, more ambient music, psuedo-3d levels (there's bridges, but not much else, think of duke3d), cool types of traps, shooting walls, cool effects, new models, new keys to enhance the unmaker, fog, colored lighting. um, i think i covered everything.

AND THE AWARD FOR "MOST ORIGINAL USERNAME" GOES TO...