Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile

Strange Plutonia Demo

I received this email on the 30th of March, but I don't use the AOL account for anything now, so I didn't notice it until earlier today when I checked it...

"Subject: DOOM PLUTONIA A LITTLE DISCOVERY

Hi I saw your demo and i have discovered some trick i mean level 12 in doom
plutonia (speed) name of level
Your archville-jump trick is ok but is possible to do it earlier.

I finished this level in 7 SECONDS but 5 is possible too thanks of archville ,he
tossed me to exit.

I have a demo with it should be work in prboom and glboom and i want to show
you.

Your archville trick in level 18 (nueroshpere) is nice your time was 29 but 9
seconds is possible too.

I HAVE A PICTURES TOO"

I uploaded the demo here for you to see:

http://www.dashevil.sytes.net/stx-Vile/pl12odd.zip

You can tell immediately that there's a number of things wrong with the demo, like how he seems to be running faster than a normal player should, how the archvile shot doesn't push him on the x-axis while he's alive (which is why the original trick required the player to be dead during the jump), and so on. I don't know where he got the idea that I invented the map18 trick, though.

On the other hand it did get it into my head that the dead AV+RJ trick might work at that edge, which was my original plan. However, I never managed it, so I changed it to the upper teleport pad, which was considerably easier. I gave it more tries after seeing this demo and STILL couldn't manage it, but it seems like it should be possible. What do you think?

hmm... maybe he was -turbo 250 or something, and exited before the game could say "Player is turbo!"? Whenever I go turbo on anything (which is like never) it takes about 10 seconds for the game to say I'm on turbo. Dunno about the x-axis thing though.

Who sent it? It's not a Doom2 demo...

mbflmpc can analyse this demo.

From the header info, it appears to be a PrBoom default complevel demo. Perhaps that is the reason for differences in some of the game physics.

Judging from gametics like GB127 SL50 TL1 it is indeed -turbo 255, with permanent strafe-50 while turning - so either built (unlikely given all the WTs at the start and all the unnecessary turning) or made with Budko's PrBoom (or some other modified engine that hasn't been released) with various TAS features turned on.

Sounds like it's someone just jerking you around. An early April Fool maybe?

Xenophon said:

hmm... maybe he was -turbo 250 or something, and exited before the game could say "Player is turbo!"? Whenever I go turbo on anything (which is like never) it takes about 10 seconds for the game to say I'm on turbo.

If you watch it with slow motion, then you get the "Player is turbo!" message. At normal speed you don't see it only because there are other messages that take priority.

Grazza said:

Sounds like it's someone just jerking you around. An early April Fool maybe?

I knew it was cheated in some way, I just wasn't aware that the player's speed could also be altered.

MBF has friction settings, that dude does slide around a lot. :)
neat demo to watch btw, even if it is cheated.

On the subject of pl12, has anyone tried Sedlo's route (from his 15pl TAS run) without tool assistance? Is it just too difficult (or impossible without MBF)? If not, then it could cut a fair bit off the pacifist time.

Hahah, funny stuff! Yes, probably an April fools joke... and the grammar seems "fake" (i.e. the person is probably a lot better in English than he/she pretends to be).

Well Sedlo's 10 second speedrun was the first on that map and it did was basically running and jumping only like in his movie.