Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Udderdude

Udderdude's ROE Review

Warning - Slight Spoilers.

Well, I just finished up ROE. It was quite a trip, but flawed in a few ways. There are some good parts, and some bad parts..

The Good :

The Double Barrel is back, and finally you can take out medium monsters with one shot. It's very useful and a welcome addition. The gravity gun is nice, too, very useful against those lost soul thingies.

The hunter bosses are all cool and require different ways of kicking their asses. The new enemies are cool.

The map design is good and matches the quality of the original, even surpassing it in some points. The Delta labs remake is the freakiest tech base in the entire game. The trip back to hell is a nice touch. I felt it was long enough as an expansion, didn't need to be any longer.

The Bad :

The artifact. If you don't use it, the battles are extrodinarily tough - several times harder than in Doom 3. If you do use it, it's pitifully easy to trash just about anything in your path. Especially later in the game .. you either use it and blow through everything, or die miserably. You're pretty much forced to use it to survive. It would be better if the artifact gave you a slight advantage, and the battles were toned down a bit, so they aren't near impossible without using the artifact. I'd like to see someone play through ROE without using the artifact except for parts where it's required (bosses, puzzles). It would require both extrodinary skill and luck. Anyone up for the challenge? :P

The part with the hazard suit. For some reason, my game got bugged, and the hazard suit counter went into the negatives. No matter how many canisters I grabbed, it never got any higher. I had to cheat and use god mode to get through that part. Poo.

The final fight is just kindof annoying, you're trying to bat off lost souls while aiming at an elusive target .. bleh. The ending was kindof dumb, but I shouldn't really expect much there anyway.

The arch-vile appears just once. What a shame. :(

udderdude said:

It would require both extrodinary skill and luck. Anyone up for the challenge? :P

I'm your man ... just send me your copy of the game plz ;)

It has just reached preorder status in England or at least the area where I live.

That challenge will have to wait until the demo recording/playback is fixed. :)

udderdude said:

The bad:
The artifact.

bleh. DOOM3 and HL2 are so scripted it's sickening. Forcing the player to play only one way in almost every room is not a game!
I'd rather buy the movie for 50 bucks and spare myself the torment.
the artifact is lame. the gravity gun is nice (but it sure as f#$% doesn't belong in a DOOM game!).

udderdude said:

It would require both extrodinary skill and luck. Anyone up for the challenge?

I'm only on level 5, but it is very easy so far. Coming from you, things must really get a LOT harder later... I look forward to it.

It does eventually get pretty tough, and you absolutely have to use the artifact. There are parts when you have to fight like five hell knights two or three at a time, along with several mancubi. Things like that.

i enjoyed the parts with alot of hellknights and mancubi, made me feel like home (the classic doom).

I agree niguel. The artifact was kick ass, mainly for the slow motion effect. I loved slammin some super slugs in a hell knight and watch him slowly die, and then turn around and do the same to that fat mancubi!! die demon!!!!!!!!

i liked it overall too, but i agree with you about the artifact. it just not super fun to run around, untouchable, blowing away the game's three strongest enemies for one SSG blast a piece:( kinda awesome at first, but that shock and awe value dosn't last long.

but, like i said, overall its a fitting expansion pack, and a bit more in line with the classic Doom attitude.

*spoilers*
just finished it, and there is no way you could play without the edge the artifact gives you.(not even the unscripted parts)
first time through each boss, I tried to take them down without it... the HK(or whatever he is) at the 4 reactor room did die, but I used 80% of my ammo to do it.
The quad-factor when you are berzerk(or whatever) is too high.
What was the thing about the 'berzerk' and 'invulnerability' with the artifact too???
(I didn't understand that in the game)

Opulent said:

What was the thing about the 'berzerk' and 'invulnerability' with the artifact too???
(I didn't understand that in the game)

hell time is bullet time
berserk is hell time plus more power
invulnerability is berserk with invulnerability

baronofhell said:

I agree niguel. The artifact was kick ass, mainly for the slow motion effect. I loved slammin some super slugs in a hell knight and watch him slowly die, and then turn around and do the same to that fat mancubi!! die demon!!!!!!!!

It's fun the first couple of times, but by the end of the game I was just bored with it. :/

Dunno about extra firepower to guns or not. I assumed "berzerk" was just like getting the berzerk power from before, and now your fists are superweapons. And it's true. If you use the artifact, you can kill a hellknight with just one punch.

Yeah, the artifact is a bit too overpowered.

Jomero said:

I assumed "berzerk" was just like getting the berzerk power from before, and now your fists are superweapons.

Yeah, it works with your guns as well. You can get all CS with it and make a headshot at a manc or hk with your pistol. :D

Not to mention your movement speed is even faster than normal. So the artifact really, really, really buffs you. Makes the enemies super slow. The berserk grants you one-hit kills and superspeed (even faster than your regular speed in hell time), and to top it off, you get invulnerability. :)