Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raziel

I need a good NEW 17" CRT monitor for old dos fps games

I like dos fps games a lot. My current monitor is starting to fade out (dark colors are harder to see now and I think it doesn't have much life left in it.)

My problem is, what is a good new 17" silver or white CRT monitor for old dos fps games? I mean ones that display the games very brightly so I don't have to turn the gamma control/brightness level up. It gives it a washed out look I loathe. I have three ideas. Which one would be the best?

this one?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-197-001&depa=1

This one: http://www.techonweb.com/products/productdetail.aspx?id=A73526&src=PG

Or this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-184-018&depa=0

Thanks a lot.

the envision one has five stars all the way through and fits my price range. still a good choice?

If I could afford a viewsonic ultrabrite, I'd get one of those.

Too bad there isn't any way to get an ultrabrite viewsonic 17" monitor for NEW at $130 or under.

for my older DOS game system i just went out and bought a used monitor. works great. that was 3 years ago, and it is still kicking and looks good.

stay away from LCD for DOS stuff, while newer and more high end ones look great most low end/cheap ones look bad in text mode and on certian res settings.

if you buy used look for a price around $15-$35 for 17 inch. anything mor eis mst lilly a rip off. also make sure you can see it in action. aviod the gateway EV700 if you see it, those things suck.

other recomendations. have a system for older DOS games. something like a 486 or pentium. use older hardware too. the best soundcard for older DOS games would be a soundblaster AWE 32/64. grab 2 voodoo 2 cards and you are ready to rock. the winXP and DOS box combo will work but personaly i prefer my old school game rig to that.

my old system is
486 DX4 120Mhz
mainboard with 4 ISA slots and 4 PCI
48MB RAM
AWE32 sound card with extra 2 MB ram added.
S3 video card
2 voodoo2 video cards SLI
windows 95 B

this system is mostly for doom, duke3d and older games

LCD isn't worth it in my opinion. I have a fry's near me, is that a pretty good place to go for monitors? Well, now I can afford $140 for a monitor.

And I will also be using it for windows games (from between 1997 and 2002) and for internet browsing and such too.

Sephiroth said:

for my older DOS game system i just went out and bought a used monitor. works great. that was 3 years ago, and it is still kicking and looks good.

stay away from LCD for DOS stuff, while newer and more high end ones look great most low end/cheap ones look bad in text mode and on certian res settings.

if you buy used look for a price around $15-$35 for 17 inch. anything mor eis mst lilly a rip off. also make sure you can see it in action. aviod the gateway EV700 if you see it, those things suck.

other recomendations. have a system for older DOS games. something like a 486 or pentium. use older hardware too. the best soundcard for older DOS games would be a soundblaster AWE 32/64. grab 2 voodoo 2 cards and you are ready to rock. the winXP and DOS box combo will work but personaly i prefer my old school game rig to that.

my old system is
486 DX4 120Mhz
mainboard with 4 ISA slots and 4 PCI
48MB RAM
AWE32 sound card with extra 2 MB ram added.
S3 video card
windows 95 B

this system is mostly for doom, duke3d and older games

and when it comes to monitors/electronics, I usually always buy brand new.

I dont understand. DOS games are somehow inherently darker than modern games?

Other than the obvious "dont get a TFT monitor" I cant really offer any suggestions here.

fraggle said:

I dont understand. DOS games are somehow inherently darker than modern games?

Other than the obvious "dont get a TFT monitor" I cant really offer any suggestions here.

well, with dos FPS games it sure seems like that to me. They are darker then any of my windows games (including fps games) and dos games themselves seem darker then windows games.

Philips is usually my #1 choice for a cost-effective / good monitor. Ironically, when you buy a Dell computer with a CRT, the monitor's probably the best part, because they outsource to Philips in that department ;)

I for one would pick a 15" monitor for DOS games, since that's what i'm used to (for playing DOS games...), and DOS games tend to look all odd and pixelated on bigger monitors :p

Sephiroth said:

my old system is
486 DX4 120Mhz

How the hell did you manage to stick a voodoo card in there? I never managed to get any of my voodoo2's to work on my 486 dx4 120MHz (except mine has more ram, 64mb lolz!)

Raziel said:

I have a fry's near me, is that a pretty good place to go for monitors?

Are you kidding? For almost every location except for southern California, that's the best computer store there is! You should be thankful you have one nearby. I have to settle for CompscrUSA.

gargoylol said:

How the hell did you manage to stick a voodoo card in there? I never managed to get any of my voodoo2's to work on my 486 dx4 120MHz (except mine has more ram, 64mb lolz!)

All a Voodoo 2 requires is a Pentium 90. If the cache-size on that 486 is bigger, it should actually work fine.

Piezo said:

Are you kidding? For almost every location except for southern California, that's the best computer store there is! You should be thankful you have one nearby. I have to settle for CompscrUSA.

I liked the Fry's in Torrance... it's all near huge powerlines and it's actually near a computer junk warehouse too (which i got my 486 and monitors from then in 94)

It all jungley too