Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Simplicity - Because Complexity Sucks

Uh.. Yeah. So, I found myself once again bored, and decided that it would be a good idea to make another completely random and crappy map in about an hour. The map is rather short, and should take the average person about 2-4 minutes to complete.

EDIT:

The following is a list of the maps currently completed. I am going to try and actually get 32 whole maps done eventually, but.. don't get your hopes up. I will post maps up as they are finished (ala DoomJr2) for those who wish to take a look at them. In the end, all of the maps will be compiled into one.

I would also like to note that all of the maps are played on MAP01, even though it says otherwise below. That's called "me being stupid and lazy".

More crappy maps like these soon to come! Expect only the best of crap to come from Agent Spork. :D

Ajapted said:

The text file says this is for "Doom 2", but it requires a Hexen port to play it.

It requires ZDoom, it says that at the top of the text file.

zarkyb said:

It requires ZDoom, it says that at the top of the text file.

Oops, missed that bit.

This thread proves my general opinion...
It is not necessarily the amount of technical sector detail that makes a game level great.
It might often be more dependent on the overall physical layout and on the texture choices.
I think that the color contrast between the sky and the brown bricks looks beautiful. It fits together really really well. It looks like something that I'd gladly build by myself :)
Keep going.
If you ever consider joining a modding team, contact Darkhaven. We'd be happy to have you aboard.

Heh, so I guess that means the gameplay is crap? Ah well, at least I found it to be entertaining.

If you ever consider joining a modding team, contact Darkhaven. We'd be happy to have you aboard.

Well, I would.. but I feel that I already have too many other projects that I am working on right now.

Next time there is a speed mapping contest, I think you should jump on it. :)

Alright. Here's another map! This particular map took about 2 hours to finish, unlike the hour that the last map took. Yay.

Screenshots:

Download:
Click me!!

Who knows.. I might decide to make yet another map, and another... and another.

EDIT: I noticed after uploading the wad that there were a couple of stupid errors on my part (polyobject doors not making any noise.. misaligned textures, etc.), and have reuploaded the wad. Yay.

AgentSpork said:

Who knows.. I might decide to make yet another map, and another... and another.

Please do, these are excellent.

Holy shit, these really are good maps! They are basic, but yet have a detailed feel to them! A very interesting concept in mapping.
Keep the maps comming!

These maps are great!

Don´t kick my butt for this, but why not using some of the MRW enemys like in sp_geo?
I very much liked that! (even if they´re basically only recolors)

Spork. Your "sloppy" 2 hour quick maps are better than most of the things that find their way into newstuff. You should try doing a Doomjr2 thing and try to make 32 quick maps.

Wow. 2 hours. Amazing work, man, amazing work.

If you put a lot of time into a map, like say, 10-15 hours over a long period of time, I can't even imagine how crazy-good it would be.

Scuba Steve said:

Spork. Your "sloppy" 2 hour quick maps are better than most of the things that find their way into newstuff. You should try doing a Doomjr2 thing and try to make 32 quick maps.

I might just do that, although I can't really promise anything yet. Any time I actually promise I'll make something it almost never gets done :P

If you put a lot of time into a map, like say, 10-15 hours over a long period of time, I can't even imagine how crazy-good it would be.

Well, the maps I spend a couple weeks or more on are usually a lot larger than these maps (like, 15-30 minutes of gameplay perhaps), rather than the 3-4 that these maps are, and they're usually a lot more organized.

Anyways, thanks for the comments :)

Wow! Relly amazing work. Especially for a 2 hour job. How much time were individuals given for the speedmapping competitions?

Veddge said:

Wow! Relly amazing work. Especially for a 2 hour job. How much time were individuals given for the speedmapping competitions?

100 minutes, I think.

...and another one!

This map took approximately an hour to complete. Possibly more, possibly less. I tried to make this map using a theme I don't usually use. There are lots of grays and greens throughout this map. I'm not quite sure wether it's a good/bad thing, but.. meh.

Screenshots:

Download:
Click me..

Map07 is done. Took about 1 hour to finish. This map is just one of your generic Doom 2 MAP07 knock-offs, so expect a lot of mancubii, arachnotrons, and symmetry!

Screenshots:

Download:

Click me!

More to come soon..

I loved the original Simplicity mapset, so I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us. I concur with everyone's opinion here, you really should release a megawad, Spork. ;)

Fixed. Sorry, I had taken it down temporarily to fix a couple of problems, but I got a little side-tracked.