Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Doom Replay Editor

Well I finally wrote up some bad documentation for my Doom Replay Editor and have decided to release it. Essentially it's a utility which greatly simplifies the process of creating a built demo for Doom and I used it to make my episode 1 run of doom 2. The program itself is relatively simple to use and it has a few known bugs which I can't really be bothered fixing :P. Download it members.optusnet.com.au/vdanis/rambobones/DoomReplayEditor.zip] here

If you have any problems with the usage of the program or want the source either e-mail me or post in this thread.

Any demos made with this I'd really love to see :)

Edit: zip has been updated to include needed dll's

first off, this is cool.
secondly, this is cool.
third, you need msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll, and sdl.dll... but perhaps that's expected.
fourth:

RamboBones said:

Any demos made with this I'd really love to see :)

Waste-o-time.lmp
heh

Opulent said:

..., you need msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll, and sdl.dll... but perhaps that's expected.

sdl.dll you should have with prboom, as for the msvc7 runtimes if that's the only two that it needs then I'll put them in the zip along with sdl.dll and update the zip.

Cool. ^^ Two comments, though:

1) The zip file's still missing sdl_mixer.dll and sdl_net.dll.

2) Are you using any code from prboom (it seems that it's based on prboom, so I guess the answer is yes)? If so, you are required to make the source code available, too (since prboom is licensed under the GNU GPL). Can you put it up together with the binary?

Thanks. ^^

This is really cool.

Perhaps some basic tweening features (for example, the ability to automatically complete a smooth turn in xx tics instead of those ugly sharp turns) and maybe a way to allow switching between manual and automatic (that is, actual player-controlled gameplay with the actions being logged in the list) would be excellent additions to speed up the process, if someone felt like attempting it.

Cool stuff, but it could use some more userfriendlyness. I loaded it up and saw a list of "WT" items. Assuming this is an empty start-off, I started modifying them to see what I can do with this tool. Yet all I got in result were some crashes :(

Schneelocke said:

If so, you are required to make the source code available, too (since prboom is licensed under the GNU GPL).

Under the terms of the GPL, it is sufficient to offer to supply it upon request, which he has done.

From GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2, June 1991:
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange

Grazza said:

Under the terms of the GPL, it is sufficient to offer to supply it upon request, which he has done.

Read it, idiot - it says WRITTEN offer. From what I understand (of course, I'm not a licensing guru, though), that means that if you distribute a GPL'ed program on a physical medium such as a CD-ROM or so, you can substitute a written (i.e., on a piece of paper) for the source.

That being said, the offer also actually has to be included with the program, so even if "written offer" also includes electronic text, a note on a forum saying that the source can be had would not be enough.

Got it?

Sorry about the sdl_net and sdl_mixer but they are present from the original prboom so they should be there. On the subject of usability etc I think I stated somewhere I wrote just to make my doom 2 run and it wasn't designed to be useable. Some automation I would've really loved to have put into it since it would make repetitive tasks so much easier and potentially produce better times due to less manual and error prone work. Time being what it was I wasn't able to implement automation or a nice user friendly interface. The source code is available on request if people want to try and extend the project. To my knowledge I'm supplying the source code on request and that's all the GPL requires to my knowledge. If there's such a problem with this I'll just take the download down, andrey budkho has the source so maybe he'll eventually release a better version if that were to happen.

Schneelocke said:

Read it, idiot
<snip>
Got it?

Don't be a complete ass. You might find a more polite and friendly attitude changes your entire life.