Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

Inspiration!

david_a said:

I asked a Descent-freak friend of mine if he ever had the same thoughts, but he didn't know what I was talking about :(

He probably thought you're some kind of wacko, and then took out his notebook to check if the display before him can be added to one of his levels.

david_a said:

Does anybody else have a bad habit of looking at architecture and trying to work out if it's doable with the Doom engine?

Same here. I particularly look at shadows/lightfall or multi-floor constructions.

ellmo said:

He probably thought you're some kind of wacko, and then took out his notebook to check if the display before him can be added to one of his levels.

No, he just dismissed it with "Descent can do anything" :(

david_a said:

Does anybody else have a bad habit of looking at architecture and trying to work out if it's doable with the Doom engine? I was outside a museum a few weeks ago and I actually got a bit excited when I realized the exterior was entirely possible to construct using vanilla Doom.

When I was on holiday, the hotel I was staying at had sloped tiles and it made me wonder what it would look like in ZDoom (since it looked like what it would look like using Plane_Align.)

I think that's the whole beauty of Doom engine. You can't do every single thing. It requires some smart tricks to get the desired effect, especially when you don't use ports. That's why I stick with Doom, tho' I used to make maps for Quake 1/2 as well.

Yeah exactly, I think the simplicity (and the resulting limitations) of the good ole' Doom engine are a huge factor in its long term popularity. Any moron can make a Doom map, but to pull of something like P:AR using this obsolete hunk of junk takes some serious creativity. Conversely, modern level editors are probably going to be on par with professional architecture software pretty soon, but pulling off stunning visuals doesn't require half the ingenuity.

I sometimes see things or places that I might want to make in doom, but mostly from other games. The only thing in real life that I look for in terms of graphics are reflections, lighting, and shadows, and how maybe a game like HL2 could use shaders to reproduce all of the effects(which it does a lot of already).

I was putting devices (glass slide-like things with raised squares on, that have various genetic probes on each square) into foam thingies that they are stored in at work the other day, and piling up the metal racks that the devices are put in when the probe is beign put on, and found myself wondering "I wonder if i could make a level that looks like that", well it would be easy using 3D floors, but very, very boring

Bastet Furry said:

I have a nice running world of darkness group. The storyteller brings up nice ideas that i "borrow".
My only problem.... finish something ;)

Amen to that brother.

I just start mapping on paper and it usually builds from there, into all kinds of ideas running through my head and I can visualize each room, sometimes it doesn't and

I find my self just arbitrarily adding bland sectors and stuff and then I feel that lack of desire to continue, I know its not gonna happen, so I start over until it pleases me, and on some days I'm just not in the mood so after so many times I do something else creative and come back to it.