Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kochipahk

Anybody think it's a coincidence... [re E1M1]

um.
normally i would flame or otherwise insult this...

but this is a little *too* wierd.
unless there is a bit of info i am missing here... has this been brought up before?

Well, I mean, you do know that John Romero worships Satan, right?

Damn I thought everybody knew that e1m1 was a "secret" tribute to the dark lord himself.

Obviously.

I was a satanist once when I went to McDonald's and my total came out to $6.66.

That number is even satanic in itself and if you even freaking look at it you'll go to Hell.

Mogul said:

I was a satanist once when I went to McDonald's and my total came out to $6.66.

ellmo:Oh no, I looked at that number!
*phone rings*
*me picks up the phone*
phone voice:You'll die in seven days

Seriously though, I once made a map with 666 sectors, I really didn't aim for it. It just came up. But in E1M1... I don't think that's a coincidence ^_^

Haha, 666 sidefs, that could be either intentional or accident (and I agree, probaly intentional. I wouldn't say Romero worships Satan because of it, though).

I have ideas for making a pi.wad that is exactly 3.14 megs in size.

ellmo said:

ellmo:Oh no, I looked at that number!
*phone rings*
*me picks up the phone*
phone voice:You'll die in seven days

owned ;-)

Uh yeah, I've discovered it one day. Must be some sort of satanic stuff. /me ph33rs

The chance that any lump among all the maps in Doom and Doom 2 has a particular size in that range is perhaps one in ten. I don't see how that is "too weird to have happened by accident".

MasterOFDeath said:

Haha, 666 sidefs, that could be either intentional or accident

Gee, I must have missed the third option.

I have ideas for making a pi.wad that is exactly 3.14 megs in size.

Great, except π isn't exactly 3.14.

Fredrik said:
Great, except π isn't exactly 3.14.

What if you have 355 monsters and 113 sectors? 355/113 approximates pi correctly to 6 decimal places. That WAD would have almost pi monsters per sector. :-)

ID must've done this all deliberately, superstituosly believing that it would bring them good fortune in many years to come....
And apparently their superstitious beliefs came true.

Spooky, huh?

I think it was intentional, as the level never had 666 sidedefs until the Ultimate Doom patch/release where an extra secret passage was added.

Believe it or not there are exactly 666 imps in Doom on UV.

Heh, if there had been only one miniscule instance of the number 666 in the whole game, only then would I've been convinced that it happened purely by accident and by chance.
But since all of you folks here have already revealed to me that the instance of this number is repeated numerous times in numerous different aspects of the overall game, then there's just no other alternatives remaining other than to assume that Romero intended for everything to turn out the way that it eventually did.

One of my old maps, The Grand Arising, has 666 sectors which was intentional on my part after I found out how close the number was to be during testplaying. The fact that E1M1 having 666 sidedefs was probably based on a similar situation, so there is a good chance that it was intentional. The one about the total number of imps is also a possibility. The one about the number of rockets in E1 totalling 100 is another.

Kristian Ronge said:

What if you have 355 monsters and 113 sectors? 355/113 approximates pi correctly to 6 decimal places. That WAD would have almost pi monsters per sector. :-)

Haha, that would be cool, but a bit too subtle. I want this to be something a bit more obvious.

And I know pi is not exactly 3.14. Like I am going to do the entire number pi! Who would go into enough detail to make a wad that is EXACTLY 3.1428571428571428571428571428571 megs! (I don't think the byte memory system can even go that small into decimals...)

MasterOFDeath said:

And I know pi is not exactly 3.14. Like I am going to do the entire number pi!

So why do you say that your π WAD should be exactly 3.14 megs in size when you know this value is not exact?

Who would go into enough detail to make a wad that is EXACTLY 3.1428571428571428571428571428571 megs! (I don't think the byte memory system can even go that small into decimals...)

1) The correct value is 3.14159265358979...

2) A digital computer (I assume this is what "byte memory system" means) can represent numbers to any precision that there is memory for. Specifically, you need log(10^n)/log(2) bits to represent n decimal digits, meaning that one gigabyte of memory is enough to store (2^33) * log(2)/log(10) = 2,585,827,972 decimal digits.

3) (Actually, π can be represented with infinite precision in a finite space since it is a computable number.)

gargoylol said:
id software once stated they aren't satan worshippers

Rather, they just like pentagrams the number 666.

That sucks... I'm not playing anymore.

Of course if the number of the beast was 666 it might even be a problem :) Refer to http://www.jimmyakin.org/2005/01/666.html or http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/skepticism/616666.html, to name but two. Apparently the 616 was fine, so yet another story goes, until they found it also made up the name of various saints and prophets and even one of the words on the crown of the Pope. Uh-oh.

So they did what any self-respecting dark-ages fascist theocracy would - they rewrote history :) :)