Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanite10

OT: Quake Requirements

The original Quake requirements are a Pentium processor. I was wondering if anyone knew if the original would run on a 486? (75 Mghz, DX4) Thank you for any responses.

Yes, I ran Quake on an AMD 133Mhz 486 (which I used for the longest time instead of moving to a P54C). It ran quite well.

I first got Quake going on a P75 and it ran quite well. Just go pure DOS and you should be fine.

heh, i got quake working on a 486 66mhz, <1996>that had a bitchin 8mb of ram (woah), and a 1mb (yes, 1 MEGABYTE!) video card.</1996>

I got Quake running on an old Osbourne (dead company)486/66. 16MB Ram and a video card. S3VGA I think it was.
Anyone want 10FPS at low resolution? I don't. Ugh. Funny thing was, I tried Quake 2 on the same machine
(Yes I AM crazy)I turned everything (graphics wise)off. And got similar performance..... Tried HL too. Except it didn't run.

That PC was crap anyway. I'm glad I got rid of it. Of course it was good for the old games I had.

<1996>that had a bitchin 8mb of ram (woah), and a 1mb (yes, 1 MEGABYTE!) video card.</1996>

<brag> Bah, I got a P90 at that time... overclocked to 120Mhz </brag>

heh, i got quake working on a 486 66mhz, <1996>that had a bitchin 8mb of ram (woah), and a 1mb (yes, 1 MEGABYTE!) video card.</1996>

heh thats was mine (except it had a 2mb video card) I was Over the moon when it ran (sorta). Ahh that lovely 486/66 Wich I got off my fokes who paid $4000 for it.

And now, I've got my 120mhz, 16ram, and a 1mb video card(wich is an upgrade from the 486 form parts of 2 other pice of shite putas). ahh how times have changed.

/me wonders off into the background cursing and swaring

Argh, my dad got a Pentium 300 MHZ, 128 RAM and 4MB Videocard in July, 1998. It cost him about $1200, an offer from his job though...

Quake runs OK in a 486DX4 at anything faster than 75MHz and with at least 16 megs of RAM. Try putting a Voodoo or a Verite and running GLQuake, it rocks.

Anyway, any Pentium is faster than whichever 486, even though an 100MHz DX4 comes very close to the P60.

yes quake will, but slowly, also it HAS TO BE a 486DX. the 486DX has the math co-processor needed by quake. also u better have some good ram too. I would recomend trying it on a 486DX/80 or better. I once tried tombraider I on a 486DX/88 and it was slower that donkey shit