Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MikeyScoots

Dune: A Beatiful Classic

I was searching for some websites about Dune 2000(which is a pretty good game) and I came across a resource site which had the disk version of the original Dune that came out for PC. 1.7 mb's and a free download, I was hooked. 5 hours later, I can't get enough of this game. For those of you who can't remember the game looked like this:

Download Link Avaliable:http://www.destinys-darlin.com/play/dune/dune1/dune1.zip
I've gotta say for it's age, it's still one of the best games I've ever played, although pretty difficult. Opinions everyone?

I played that for the first time in 9 years a week ago. The sheer awesomeness of the Final Fantasy series ruined it for me. I still enjoy watching my character die as I head north though.

Well seeing as how I'm a fan of the movie and games, last time I played this was back when I was like 5. I didnt recognize till I saw some screenshots of it in school today. Downloaded it when I got home, been playing it ever since. I just find it funny how the Ordos were never mentioned in the novels, movie, or games until Dune 2 came out.

Heh, I've avtualy never played the original Dune game, though I have all the rest of them.

The extended edition of Dune was better. It had video clips from the movie, PLUS better cutscene graphics, like the orni and sandworm rides, and improved graphics of the palace and seitches.

Edit: Also, when it comes to game music, Cryo got it PERFECTLY when they made Dune. Palace Arakeen (played in atredies palace at carthag.. for some reason) is the best out of them. I have found places where you can download the mp3's of it, including on my website. Just pm me for it.

Yeah, that game was pretty cool. Incorporated adventure, stragegy, and role playing in to a rather unique game. And then Dune 2 came out and the RTS boom was born and this game was swiftly forgotten about.

Bloodskull said:

Does liking Torins Passage and Full Throttle count too?

Full Throttle kicks serious ass.

I remember playing it years ago, but couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do :-(

any game with a foreskin monster is awesome

If yours looks like that, you might want to see a doctor :-)

I loved this game too :).

The developer went on to make a very similar game called Lost Eden, which was set on a planet with intelligent dinosaurs. I remember it not being quite as good as Dune, but still a lot of fun.

zarkyb said:

Do you know there are Dune books Bloodskull?

If not, he is discredited.

(dune messiah, yo)

Full Throttle kicks serious ass.

Indeed it does. That game was awesome.

I still enjoy watching my character die as I head north though.

Haha, I just did that. It kinda freaked me out, not to mention getting a big WTF out of me. Note to self: Don't go north.

zarkyb said:

Do you know there are Dune books Bloodskull?

Yes I know there are novels. Thats what the movie was based off it when Frank Herbert published the first book in 1965.

A shame that the new seies of books has utterly gutfucked Herbert's original work. His son should be ashamed.

Spike said:

A shame that the new seies of books has utterly gutfucked Herbert's original work. His son should be ashamed.

Agreed. They just aren't proper Dune books. I also heard He's planning to write the last novel in the series sometime. I really don't know if it's such a good idea though. Leave it as it is and let the readers speculate about what happens next.

I still need to read the fifth and sixth novels. So far I've just read up to God Emperor and and first prequel trilogy.

The 3 prequel novels are probably the better of the prequel series. They fill in so many spaces in the original series. The Butlerian Jihad books weren't so great really.

I never enjoyed reading God Empeor. it just seemed to drag on for ages. Heretics and Chapter House are my faves though.:)

I enjoyed God-Emperor for the emotional side of Leto, as well as watching the next Duncan ghola try to adapt.

The prequels aren't utterly terrible, but they do gloss over a lot of the political and emotional details, and feel a lot less involving. I found it nigh-on impossible to feel attached to any of the characters in 'Legends of Dune', except for maybe Vorian Atredies and Xavier Harkonnen. What doesn't help is the fact that Herbert and Anderson seem fond of killing off everyone they possibly can.

I saw far too many similarities between these books and Anderson's Star Wars books - understandable, obviously, but the problem is that I hated his Star Wars books, too >:( Bring back Timothy Zahn!

God-Emperor was pissing me off for about half of the book, as it looked like Herbert had jumped the shark. But then it clicked and I realised what the worm was all about. It was really sad and painful to see the worm die when you realise what he had in mind.

Zahn recently released a Star Wars book. I haven't read it yet. Must. Get.

Yeah, I really liked God Emperor. It's my second favorite next to Dune really. I liked it better back when I was a communist though. :P

Damn...I was playing the game and I drank the water of life and died. Really sucked because I had taken over two Harkonnen forts since the last time I saved. :/

Also, does anyone know how to get Chani to go with you?

I believe you have to wait until you're prompted, for both drinking the waters of life and bringing Chani with you.

Well Stilgar keeps telling me "Why didn't you bring Chani with us? Huh? huh? HUH?" But whenever I try to, she goes "Wait no I'm staying here" as soon as I take off in an ornithopter.

Danarchy said:

Well Stilgar keeps telling me "Why didn't you bring Chani with us? Huh? huh? HUH?" But whenever I try to, she goes "Wait no I'm staying here" as soon as I take off in an ornithopter.

Decline the water of life, then talk to JEssica. Then go back to chani. Take her out to the desert around sunset.