Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodskull

Idea: New Gameplay?

Recommended Posts

Is there any way to bring new gameplay styling to Doom? After 11 years you would think people would be able to do this(Well actually, not counting Romero Death Skittles and games converted into games in Doom). However we still stick to the same enter room, kill baddies, grab key or hit switch, enter next. I think I may have come up with something that could maybe fix this problem, but in the same sense act the same, adding a twist to the gameplay and flexiablity of the map to bring a whole new meaning to wads nowadays.
I present to you: Time Traveling

Download Link Here:
Time Travel
Copy and Paste link into URl since Freewebs suck.
Edit: Port is Zdoom
Edit Again: Fucking Case Sensative!

Theme: Right now you're in lets say Deimos year 2029. The time your taken into is Deimos in say B.C. times when it was all hellish. What your doing is removing the barracade preventing you from going into the room in 2029. Once removed in the past, in the future your allowed to access the room, and vice versa in the past. Enjoy and comments are greatly appreciated :).

Share this post


Link to post

We are sorry, this page was not found. FreeWebs offers free websites and web hosting to millions of web users.

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodskull said:

I think I may have come up with something that could maybe fix this problem.

I don't see it as a problem.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe for you. Play something else.

Edit: Played your map idea. Its neat, time travel sequence is kinda annoyingly long, but otherwise okay. This concept is also used (and better suited) in the game Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain. Moving between alternate versions of reality changed the setting in a level allowing you to progress to other areas.

But in this wad it doesn't make sense. Why would UAC build a base around a temple and leave thousand-year-old barriers all over the place? I suppose with a proper story and execution it would be an okay idea if used sparingly. Having to backtrack between two versions of the level every few steps would get old quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

But in this wad it doesn't make sense. Why would UAC build a base around a temple and leave thousand-year-old barriers all over the place? I suppose with a proper story and execution it would be an okay idea if used sparingly. Having to backtrack between two versions of the level every few steps would get old quick.

It was just an example man, I didnt bother to think about all this design and all that. But with a good story yeah, and who said it has to be Uac? It could be a simple Brick n metal map or even a Egyptian level. And maybe switching back and forth would get boring after a while, but unless you can come up with something to help avoid it becoming boring, I dunno what to say man.

Share this post


Link to post

Gave it a whirl and that is really neato. :D As Use3D said, the time it takes to travel is a little long, but I guess that's because there was so much of it in a small spot. That and I kept accidentally running over the portal. :D T'would be neato to see some wads with this. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Um nice concept that would be great in some full stuph... but really... how much does this change the gameplay?

It gives it a pretty smile... but its still the same ting.

Share this post


Link to post
Jehar said:

how much does this change the gameplay?


Agreed. Anyway, I'm not bored with Doom's gameplay, so it's not bothering me here or anywhere else.

Bloodskull, Time travel sequence should be more vivid... have some sounds. You know, to make people go like Millenium Falcon into the hyperspace: Whooooooooowheeeeee!. But also, the music should change much more fluently... I don't know how are you gonna do that, but right now it's somehow disturbing. The last thing is: using GSTONEx textures in an area which is faded to red, somehow makes them look like red stones, so even with your efforts to vary texturing a bit, it looks the same - and even unaligned. Oh, and the Time Machine thingy, should also be much more than just a square portal.

But since this is some kind of alpha version, I'm sure you already wanted to fix some of thos issues. Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Very nice idea. /me likes a lot.

Actually, with some smart changing of textures You could easily re-texturize via ACS Your level and make it appear hellish and techbase without the need of making separate areas. That doesn't work for architecture tough...

Altough it doesn't seem like time travelling, You could use it for moving between alternative realities-think Silent Hill :-) Now that's something innovative, but the original Doom gameplay still remains there. It's just switch puzzles and keycards, with some spice added to the map.

Not that the Doom gameplay is boring for me..

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah it's an alpha I'm working on, collecting ideas and stuff so I can finalize it into E2m4 of DeathWish(the level you guys saw right now).

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodskull said:

Theme: Right now you're in lets say Deimos year 2029. The time your taken into is Deimos in say B.C. times when it was all hellish. What your doing is removing the barracade preventing you from going into the room in 2029. Once removed in the past, in the future your allowed to access the room, and vice versa in the past. Enjoy and comments are greatly appreciated :).


This reminds me of a map in The Lost Duke Episodes (I believe it was called).

Share this post


Link to post

I already used an idea similar to this in my last map, Temple of Chaos 2, although it's not you travelling through time, but rather you having twisted visions and the UAC base (or whatever the hell it is) turns into a hellish, demonic place.

It's not really so much a "new form of gameplay" as it is a cool looking thing. :P

Share this post


Link to post
AgentSpork said:

but rather you having twisted visions and the UAC base (or whatever the hell it is) turns into a hellish, demonic place.

No way...

Share this post


Link to post

Eternal Doom had Time travel. I dunno how that applies to new gameplay though. Rather than an abrupt change of scenery.

Share this post


Link to post

This would be great in a map where you travel back- and forward between a medieval castle or ancient temple in the past and it's ruins in the present.

TNT Evilution had this "alternative reality"-effect, too. "Wormhole" I think the map was called, though I'm not sure which map it was.

Share this post


Link to post

You want to see new gameplay? I'm trying to go for a Blood/Half-Life/Doom game with this mod:

freewebs.com/mouac

Now that I'm done self-pimping, I'm off to try the time travel wad. I'll post my thoughts here.

Share this post


Link to post

What the Fuck do you mean: Scuba Steve He probably doesn't know his name's here. Did you get permision to use his works?

Share this post


Link to post

He probably used some of his weapons, with them being used so widely across the community prolly Scuba wouldn't care. :-P

You also need to take some chill-pills ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Bloodskull said:

It was just an example man, I didnt bother to think about all this design and all that. But with a good story yeah, and who said it has to be Uac? It could be a simple Brick n metal map or even a Egyptian level. And maybe switching back and forth would get boring after a while, but unless you can come up with something to help avoid it becoming boring, I dunno what to say man.

A lot like prince of persia warrior wiht in.

Share this post


Link to post
ellmo said:

What the Fuck do you mean: Scuba Steve He probably doesn't know his name's here. Did you get permision to use his works?


Um, I asked him about his flamethrower weapon a while back, in a mod I never released, and he said sure, take it, all the weapons on my site are free for use(except the ones that are already in released projects, which is noted on those weapons).

Notice under the PSG1 " I hope somebody will use this to good effect and create a cool edge patch that makes it one sweet sniper rifle."
Anyway I added bolt-action frames and reload frames, new hands, and a new muzzle flash, so I didn't completely rip it. But even if I did that would still be fine.

EDIT: The time.zip file doesn't work for me. The zip is corrupt or something, I've tried downloading it a few times.

Share this post


Link to post

I think some people forget my stance on my work... I don't care what anyone does with it as long as my name is listed somewhere... and you know, even if it didn't I wouldn't care.

Share this post


Link to post
Scuba Steve said:

I think some people forget my stance on my work... I don't care what anyone does with it as long as my name is listed somewhere... and you know, even if it didn't I wouldn't care.


Sweet.
/me copies action doom, and replace the txtfile and all credits in the wad to him.

Share this post


Link to post

hay guyz i'm making a mod that adds doom monsters to heretic and its really hard isnt that original?! :O

p.s. hexen too

p.p.s. a real idea : have a map where you can walk on the ceiling to reach new areas. yes silly idea, so sue me.

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, what a disappointment. I saw "new gameplay" and expected some. Then, I saw an idea that's been around since Zelda III. Don't you even remember the Dark World, and how event in Hyrule affacted it, and vice versa? You know, the concept Metroid Prime: Echoes ripped off?

Speaking of which, add an auto-targeting lock-on to Doom. That I want to see, for no other reason than we might just see a verbatim Metroid Prime remake at some point... yum.

Somebody mention new gameplay? :P

Share this post


Link to post

A lot of people seems to bitch about Metroid: Prime :(

I would like to see a full-fledged working RPG inventory, or cooperation with scripted marines, giving them orders on what to do, or drivable vehicles. That's kewl in my humble opinion ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×