Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doommaster666

Meets requirements but runs like crap

I have a gateway 510x computer with a pentium 4 3.0 GHZ Processor, Intel Exteme Graphics 2 video card, 120 GB hard drive, and 512 ddr ram. The game locks up all the time. I can't ever play for more than an hour and when it is working, it is kinda slow. I just ran a virus check too.

It's the graphics card. I'd bet on it. In fact Im amazed it runs at all. If it's locknig up after a certain amount of time, it may either be due to overheating or some strange driver issue. But more than anything, your performance will be hampered by that graphics chipset.

hay mbe u guyz cud hlep me wif my prob 2 i hav a 8086 OC'd to 4 gigahertz & I hav 2 gigs of PC66 RAM i meen im meeting teh requirmens on th box but its not runen wtff

I guess that was a little uncharitable. You could get an inexpensive GeForce 4000MX 128MB from Newegg (about $40 when I got mine, just a leap-upgrade from my ATI Rage 16MB I'd been standing on for years) that would run it just fine at an average detail setting. The rest of your specs are good for it.

I have a pentium 4 2.4Ghz processor, Intel Extreme Graphics video card, and 256MB of drr ram, running on windows xp. Doom 3 runs pretty smooth but after about 30 seconds of playing, the game just locks up. There are no signs that it will, it just happens out of nowhere. Do you think this is being caused because I don't have enough memory or maybe my processor is overheating? Is there a way to turn the cooling fan to be always on? I thought I found a setting in windows like that before but I can't find it anymore.

doom3 said:

Is there a way to turn the cooling fan to be always on?

It's NOT on? What, do you unplug the thing from your motherboard from time to time...torturing, if not killing your cpu. If it doesn't turn on when you turn the computer on, you have a problem and your cpu would fry. But that couldn't be the case since your computer is working.

Anyway, about the lockup after 30 seconds. Your computers power supply may very well be faulty. I had one that seemed to "work" but rebooted my computer when any graphic intensive program ran for more than 15 - 30 seconds or so.

About the cpu, the fan turns on but it doesn't sound like it is always cooling the cpu. At first you can hear the fan but it gets really quiet and sounds like it turns off at least. I just bought this computer yesterday brand new so I doubt the power supply is already bad. Every program I run works fine and doesn't lock up except for doom 3. You think it might be the memory?

Your memory is below the minimum requirements and your video card is completely unsupported. It is most likely the card (integrated chipset really) that is overheating. The intel extreme line was not made to meet doom's demands and does not support some of its features.

Bloodshedder said:

Not hampered, more like destroyed. Even a 6200 series Geforce will likely run the game better.

Even an old Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 Mo runs doom3 very decently.
Of course only 800x600 and relatively low details.

doom3 said:

Would an Ati Radeon 9200 SE Celestica run Doom 3 good?

hmm.. low maybe or just medium. So not really. Think about radeon 9600 or higher.

My GF4 Ti4200 runs it ok-ish, looks like craperino but at least I can play it.

It's definitely your vidcard.
9800 Pro's are going pretty cheap I heard.

the pro can barely play on high. I dont know how much of a graphics person you are, but i wont even think about playing it on medium :P

Is there something bad about ati radeon 9600 (celestica) SE cards? I was looking on ebay and found that some of them were selling new for around $30 and then I saw new 9600 pro cards going for around $70. Are the pro's just alot better or something?

Do you see anything much different about these? - This one is a celestica: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219245402&category=40158&rd=1
And this one is a pro: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219245391&category=40158&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

doom3 said:

Is there something bad about ati radeon 9600 (celestica) SE cards? I was looking on ebay and found that some of them were selling new for around $30 and then I saw new 9600 pro cards going for around $70. Are the pro's just alot better or something?

Do you see anything much different about these? - This one is a celestica: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219245402&category=40158&rd=1
And this one is a pro: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5219245391&category=40158&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

In this same link you just gave that same ebay seller has a 9800 pro for 100 bucks. thats what you should be looking for if you want a budget card with decent performance in this game. This should do you for a few more years with next gen games as well.

I'm using the following setup:

Athlon64 3000+ 'Venice' (1800 MHz)
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro EZ (265MB GDDR)
2GB RAM (MDT)

I've only got the game yesterday, installed/patched to 1.3 just an hour ago ... and every time the door to the reception opens, the game crashes.

I've tried it all, including disabling all kinky stuff and going on absolute lowest config, it still won't work, I'm not getting into/beyond the reception.
According to specs it should work nicely on medium (which is the default config if I say "put to best performance" or whatever the hell that button in gfx configuration said again)...

Anyone got an idea what the heck is causing that?

FUCK! Turns out the shitty little AGI slot on my computer is actually a AGP slot that can use ANY fucking video card except for radeon 9600 and 9700. I got the fucking card yesterday and sure the fuck enough it didn't fucking work. Is there something I can put in to my AGI slot to convert it to an AGP? Or am I just fucked for ever playing Doom 3? That's probably it because I have the fucking worst fucking luck ever.

...what? There's no such thing as an AGI slot. Would you like to try again?

Cutthroat, I'll give you the standard advice - update your drivers (sound, chipset/motherboard, video). Failing that, try opening up the case and running the machine that way. It'll help if it's an overheating problem. Uninstall any security or anti-virus software you have. Uninstall any ad-ware or mal-ware. If that doesn't fix your problem, there may be a more serious problem.

Katarhyne said:

Failing that, try opening up the case and running the machine that way. It'll help if it's an overheating problem.

Only if you don't have good air flow in it. My PC actually runs hotter if I take the side off of the case. The air is supposed to tunnel through the case and if the side is off then the tunneling effect is lost.

I decided to sell that card to a friend so I am now trying for an nvidia card. I was thinking a geforce fx 5500 or better. Would that work like a radeon 9600 or better?

Katarhyne said:

...what? There's no such thing as an AGI slot. Would you like to try again?

That's what I thought too. Here is the site about my motherboard - http://www.asrock.com.tw/support/AGI8X_LIST/P4i65GV.htm at the bottom "PS. ATi 9600/9550 series and all Matrox series VGA cards are NOT supported with AGI" Here is another part - http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4i45gv_r5.htm# then click the link that says - ASRock A.G.I. 8X