Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SyntherAugustus

Classic Unreal Speedrun

How the hell did they manage to beat the game in under an hour? Jeez, some of the levels in that game were fucking HUGE! Meh, I guess they could have just ignored everything and used every trick available.

The info page is here, BTW (also includes a link to a lower resolution avi). Also this.

On easy skill, a lot more rocket jumps are possible than on the higher skill levels, where they cause too much damage to the player to be used very often.

Yay! There were levels where it'd take 49 minutes by themselves; I can't wait to see this.

I loved playing the SP version of Unreal. I thought it was much more imaginative than Quake 2 and more fun overall than Half-Life (although HL had more memorable moments, like the Osprey). Online co-op is still alive and kicking for anyone who still has this game. Check out the "Zombie Co-Op Server" late nights, and look for me (Bucket).

Great games all of them, but Unreal beat out both HL and Q2 in so many ways.

EDIT: Sunspire in 2 minutes??!? Holy hell! It takes 2 minutes just for me to get to the front door!

No one should know a game that big quite as well as that person does. Nevertheless, wow.

The video craps out after about 4 seconds. Unfortunately, Windows Media Player crapped out after about 8 versions.

Cool. Some of those 8ball gun jumps were nice. I haven't played Unreal since it first came out, and back then I didn't even know that kind of thing was possible. So this is my first time seeing it.

Cool run.

AndrewB said:

The video craps out after about 4 seconds. Unfortunately, Windows Media Player crapped out after about 8 versions.

Works fine here.
Not sure why you're having problems. Try these:

• Face the monitor. No, stop-- stop staring at the cat. Come on now, focus.
  • Only press the play button once.
  • If you downloaded your AVI codec from the same place you get your serialz, reinstall immediately.
  • RELAX! Don't press Alt+F4 by accident.
  • Install an open-source alternative that supposedly is rock-solid, and watch your productivity go down the drain.
  • Seriously... download WMP10. Learn how to use it. It's not rocket surgery.

I use VLC to play videos, and it worked fine. I had forgotten how absurdly large those levels are, so the fact that anyone can remember how to run them is impressive. The tricks were pretty lame for the most part, though -- at least compared to the qdq tricks.

Well, that's Unreal for you.

It's a totally different (and overall far less exciting) game than Quake. But you do have to admit some of the really long 8ball jumps were nice.

exp(x) said:

The tricks were pretty lame for the most part, though -- at least compared to the qdq tricks.

Well, there wasn't much in the way of exploitable physics as far as the original Unreal is concerned. The engine itself is pretty tight.

That video was highly impressive. I just wish it weren't so dark. I couldn't see what was going on half of the time. :(

You should be able to increase the video gamma if you card supports such a feature. For me it was dark too, till I configured things.

Pif? Am I missing something, or are you thinking of h2dq (where it's true, Pif does seem to spend a lot of time looking at the ground rather than at the carnage he's creating).

Grazza said:

On easy skill, a lot more rocket jumps are possible than on the higher skill levels, where they cause too much damage to the player to be used very often.

Hexen 2 was played on Easy skill for similar reasons... it also makes key items appear earlier (the Mill key is one example).

I believe this particular player is working on a run of American McGee's Alice, ATM, so keep an eye out for that one.

I once dreamed that Unreal 2 had a level where you rode round a ruined airport on a motorbike, along with many other people, shooting at a giant robot that was throwing vans and jet plane engines at you, but apparently the real game sucked. yeah.