Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

The /newstuff Chronicles #231

Here we are, like what, 3 weeks later and STILL no #229! Be sure to call Ralphis more names! He nearly ruined your weekends again! OK, what we have here are a batch of 14 wads, with a little something for everybody but not anybody. While that's simmering in your slushy brains, here's the week's blossoms.

• BESIK - Ali Besik
    doom2.exe - SP/DM - 48 kb - (img) (img) (img)
    This week's startoff wad wasn't so nice and pretty...Well to mention the fact that there were 2 wads was just fine, but the first level was just chock full of the weirdest things I have EVER seen. First, you start in some kind of room, you see commander keens and a maze of course which you can't get into, or what looks like a maze anyway. Go forward into the level and with a shotgun, you face an archvile, baron and cyber along with several other monsters in a 0 light cramped hallway with no chance to get past to get the light amp goggles! Then, well, look at the last 2 screenshots, they pretty much speak for themself, and my recommendation.

• BONAR5.WAD - Nathan Ashcraft & Ethan Banks
    doom2.exe - SP/DM - 66 kb - (img) (img) (img)
    Moving onward, a 1995 wad in our path. And wow, this guy really likes chaingunners, there's at least 10 of them packed into tight spaces in one part of the level, then like, probably over 20 in another part, where if you get crossfired you will not last long even with the secret stuff. Fun textured areas though, you like get a wooden set, then a hellish texture set, then a stone texture set, and even some Wolfenstein 3D doors! I don't know how, but I like it. *_*

• Chris4 - Christopher 'RaIDeN' Lemare
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 4 kb -
    You start out in a dark room, grab a couple guns, kill baron and several cacos, go to top of stairs and fall through sector into a HoM. Ok, good.

• Doom Illustrated - WildWeasel
    EDGE - n/a - 2,238 kb -
    What ranks in as the biggest file of the week also ranks in as the only weapon mod this week, for...Yes you guessed it, EDGE. This weapon set is, as expected from WildWeasel, full of new ways to tear your enenmies to shreds with every gun. A normal fire and an alterate firing mode make this a very fun and destructive weapon set to play around with in any level. I personally had alot of fun with the shotgun's alt firing mode. This is a must download weapon set to try out if you are a fan of extra weapons or not, it makes playing through any familiar level that much more interesting.

• Doom2 Ultimate Challenge Beta Version (0.5) - Steven J King
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 31 kb -
    From the text file: "You don't have to pay for it any longer."

...Who would? This is , most likely, the worst ever, EVER usage of the phrase "Doom2 Ultimate Challenge" I have, in my entire Dooming life, seen. You start out in the exact room in the screenshot above, and that pretty much explains it all. You go around finding doors with the same texture as the walls (Automap HIGHLY recommended) to find more rooms like such and with about 5 bazillion megasphere and BFGs to comabt the Spiderdemon and about 30 archviles, along with an invulnerability. Then, after fighting off about 3 more such rooms, containing many SS, archviles, revenants, and spiderdemons, you run around looking for an exit. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I did not, at all, find one. It must be one of the walls...

• FragFest Initialized - Parallel Team
    doom2.exe - Deathmatch - 2,093 KB -
    An update to FFI_Z in response to recent bugs found in ZDoom-based engines during gameplay.

• HEU - Heretic Editor Utility V-1.0b - Josh Martel (Null) and Tom Mustaine (Clock Paradox)
    Limit Removing - n/a - 272 kb -
    The heretic version of the Doom Editor Utility, or DEU as it's called.

• NO Way No How are you going to make it out alive. - Eric Varner
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 47 kb - (img)
    Ok well, not much to say about this, it's a generic level so to speak. How to explain my definition of generic is anyone's guess. It's blocky, has a ton of hidden rooms with doors I did not see or did not even notice until I used the automap, and there's a good fun time with difficulty up there in the later skill levels. There's almost no health to be found, although this can be a plus; you also can be fighting a revenant with your fists too, even with the ammo strewn about. Not much of a loss, a good play, but can be a bit frustrating.

• Only the strong survive - Eric Varner
    doom.exe - Solo Play - 74 kb - (img) (img)
    Another wad from Eric Varner this week! This one can also get very tedius due to the abnormal amount of shotgunners in this level. You get a surplus of health in the beginning of the level, which comes in handy if you get in trouble with the rocket launcher and the baron, but with the seemingly hundred or so shotgunners in the level, just chipping away at your health, then it usually boils down to avoiding crushers at the precise time to get through. If you like gauntlet-style levels, this is for you.

• Retrograde - Jonathan "Jon" Rimmer
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 108 kb - (img) (img)
    This map is good. Not good for the fact that it might be a bit underdetailed and straightforward compared to today's standards, but because it's the first map this author has made. Although there is almost none health in the beginning unless you really go hunting, it gets better as you travel along the E1 style corridors, with more health to salvage from your nearly endless bouts with the Shotgunners, and much shotgun ammo to be derived from them as well. There's also a good share of secrets, making this a well-balanced, and very nice map for a first try. Small filesize and E1 style can make this a must-need download.

• The Volcano Facility - Eternal Dreams
    Skulltag - Deathmatch - 121 kb - (img)
    Just when you might have thought all hope was lost for a modern wad, or a deathmatch wad, fear no more, for it has arrived, you are all saved. This deathmatch wad is for Skulltag no less, and is supposedly made for all multiplayer game modes except CTF. The mainstay of this wad is crates. Yes those slightly annoying things that in deathmatch can prohibit your movement and subject you to a gib from a rocket. One thing is that the doors can get in the way, because they dont auto open, so that's a slight nuisance. There are some fancy ZDoom effects like deep water used for lava, but nothing extra special. Give it a spin.

• Total Control - Chris Burgess
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - - (img)
    Another first attempt at a wad, and to be frank, this sucks. You start out with a pistol against a shotgunner, several imps, chaingunner, and a demon. Or something around that. Even if you barely make it past those you wthin the next few rooms encounter more higih level monsters, with little or no health packs around to safeguard you, along with various pits that you can fall into and never escape. Not to mention some of the walls allow objects to pass through them so you can be smacked with a fireball at any point and not even see the monster.

• Wish You Were Here? - Jonathan "Jon" Rimmer
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 225 kb - (img) (img)
    Mmm, another map from Jon who entertained me before in his E1 style map Retrograde, and this map is actually relatively short compared to the previous map, less filled with winding passages and switches opening various doors and filled with more monster fighting, key hunting action. The map has again, small amounts of health, but can be easily beaten if you play cautiously and not just run right into enemy fire. Ammo is plentiful with again, many shotgunners to be salvaged from. Detail is pretty good, ranging from a couple boats to some ruins and a marble crossway, it's a good map on both gameplay and detail, try it out. Oh I almost forgot, in the first screenshot there's an interesting Doom2 replacement title screen...For what purpose I have no idea.

• You LOSE good DAY SIR - Shaikoten
    Skulltag - Deathmatch - 8 kb - (img)
    Hahaha, we wrap up this week's reviews with a very fun deathmatch map created by Skulltag goon Shaikoten himself. This map takes on a less serious role in deathmath maps nowadays and to sum it all up in a sentence: You are enternally hopping around the level. Yes you heard me right. You are basically in a level where the entirety of it is a jumping pad, and you can use the hops to gain access to higher areas and weapons/runes. I tried this with a few bots and needless to say, it was a blast, especially with rockets or such, because you sometimes simply don't know where anyone is with all the bouncing around. A must play.

sp

holy shit, /newstuff updated before i had monday night dinner!

it'd be nice if your images worked though.

The directory for the 404 images should be 231, not 229... Sorry, just felt I should point that out 'cause it's really bothering me.

wtf there's a newstuff out on a Sunday

hmmm, that stained glass window shot for Wish You Were Here? is drawing my curiousity...

Man, you seriously overexaggerated everything in my wad. >_<; I specefically tested it so that the crates DO not get in your way that much, and the doors do auto-open. O_o; Most of them, anyways...gee, how much did you play?

Feh, at least I got a review.

A lot of crap levels. WW-DI was the best wad this week, no really, it was. Us weapon modders have a week in the spotlight.

We owned the level modders... for once! I'm so happy, i'm gonna... gonna cry...

Eek, somebody uploaded my wads! Please excuse their general crapiness, especially Wish You Were Here? I had that abomination sitting on my hard drive for years, and only stuck it on my website so I could finally feel I was done with it. It sucks big balls.

WildWeasel said:

And guess what, I'm going back to DeHackEd for my next mod.

Heh, goin old school eh? Good luck to ye.

Hehe, BESIK map one has seen some buggy bsp builder or what.

BTW: I had real discomfort while looking at the error part. Felt like my troat gets pressed, like when you barely escape an extreme situation. Any ideas what causes this?
(Just serious answers please)

Whats with all these old skool looking levels (it is not 1995 any more)... This is BORING.....ZZZzzzZzZZzzzzz
Sorry bout da triple post, my computer om using sux0rz... :P

Jonathan said:

Eek, somebody uploaded my wads! Please excuse their general crapiness, especially Wish You Were Here? I had that abomination sitting on my hard drive for years, and only stuck it on my website so I could finally feel I was done with it. It sucks big balls.

I dunno, I kind of disagree. They're both pretty interesting and fun to play even if they aren't much of lookers.

Retrograde & Wish you where here were pretty fun to play. Looks aren't everything. Though the pillars (shown in the second screenshot) were pretty nifty.

Woah, Jon made a map! This I have to play.

Edit: Retrograde is a fucking awesome map, Jon.

Edit2: Am I the only person here who doesnt' give a flying fuck about detail?

BAH!!!

No interesting maps... what is the world coming to?
At least we seem to be out of crappy '94 wads.
Thank god.

Well, I guess it's more incentive to get some of my own maps done. :P

This guy is french (Trensforme potentiellement des armes et ennemis, sauf que je suis pas sur si modifie bien avec zdoom), but I semi translated his review of WW-DI. He says it doesn't work with zdoom.

-_-

No more 1995 year stuff! Let's go into 96's right away!

blod said:

No more 1995 year stuff! Let's go into 96's right away!

That deserves a big fat HEH.

I think Retrograde was very enjoyable. And "underdetailed"... well, yeah, but then, it *was* recreating the E1 atmosphere, so you can't expect that much detail.

Sure brought back some memories for me. :)

I think he was a bit harsh considering it was my first map ever!!

They moan if its too easy and moan even more if its hard..

Another crappy week. :/ If it wasn't for Doom Illustrated I wouldn't give a fuck.