Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Can You Swap out DOOM music?

This is quite possibly and even more probably a stupid question that has been asked before,
but is it possible to replace the old doom music with some remixes? I like the remixes on some of the classic tunes.

Unless you're making it source-port specific, you'll need to have the new music in midi format.

You can replace the original soundtracks with a number of editors. I'd recommend XWE. It's not a beta but it works.

Cant go wrong with Wintex either, dig up some MIDI files from the 'net (or make your own), copy over the track for the level you need to your own wad file, then click on it and go to "Load file", or something (havent done much doom editing in a while, maybe i should stop hoping to get my backups back and start making (stealing) resources again). Wintex converts the MID file to a MUS one when it inserts it, because thats what doom.exe supported, in 95% of cases it sounds identical though. XWE is more annoying to use, in my experience, but you can insert MID files directly in, or MP3, OGG or whatever you want, for use with advanced ports

yea ok nobody would out right tell me so I had to try and do it on my own, failed and then one of my friends told me how. Use XWE, and simply load the midi file you want into your map, then rename it. For example, in my wads im using all video game music, I would load the song into map01 and name it D_runnin. This replaces the song for map one. You need to get the names of all the level songs so you can replace them. So if you want to have this song on map02 of your wad you will need to find the name of the music on level 2 and give the new music the old name. Xwe also helps you to replace pics, the thing is you will need to know all the proper names to replace the pics and songs. Also as I just found out the pixel size for any pics is 320x200. Download xwe and add that personal flair to you wads.

Here is how I would do it:

In XWE open Doom2.wad and copy the music files (marked 'MUS' under file) you want to replace. Open your pwad and paste the files inthere.
Use the replace option under 'Entry' to replace the files with your own material. Your music file will be renamed so they don't have to have the same name as the original music file.

Also as I just found out the pixel size for any pics is 320x200.

? I'm not sure what you mean. Different graphics have different sizes. Only a few are 320x200.

[edit] just read your other thread: only the title/ intermission/ credit/ help and endscreen are 320x200. Wall textures, floors etc are smaller.
BTW: When you select a graphic in XWE the sizes are shown in the upper right of the screen[/edit]

ok so SOME of the pics are at 320x200, point is now you will be able to make as many custom sound tracks and pics in your wads as you want.