Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Am I the only one who loved Final Doom?

I start to think I'm the only one that loved Final Doom, I mean TNT made doom levels that were more directed at veteran players and the maps were detailed and interesting, and Plutonia was hard.

Oh and they had some really good music too. including favorites from the original.

Anyway, my .02

Yeah, I love Final DOOM, I consider it another chapter in the DOOM series. The maps, the music, everything it's pretty cool. If they only added a new boss or something it would be a legend.
In my opinion it deserves more the title DOOM 3 than the game called like that.
I also like a lot Master Levels (more than the "DOOM 2 episode").

m0l0t0v said:

Plutonia rocked, but I never cared much for Evilution.

*slaps m0l0t0v's head so Plutonia and Evilution are reversed next time he says it*

There we go! :P

Sadly, I've never actually played Final Doom, so I don't know what I've missed out on. :(

TNT was garbage I'm afraid to say. Plutonia was good, apart from the horde levels.

Plutonia had one of the best texturing by the time it was released, I like Plutonia much more than I like original Doom2. TNT was too balnk, maybe even random at times. And also music in PE is from doom1 (yeah) and works greatly. evilution has some tough electric themes I disliked.

To be honest with You people, I much more prefer TNT over Plutonia. Dunno why. Perhaps Plutonia's small but cool levels don't speak my language too much. I prefer more imagination that was put into TNT. And I think TNT music (especially map01 and map04) simply owned Doom1 music used in PE.

As for Final Doom-I also enjoyed the PSX version. Especially due to the msuci used :)

"Final Doom" was never a favourite of mine. The maps aren't better quality wise than much of what is out there for free. I find "The Plutonia Experiment" especially overrated. Although its maps are often elegant, I just don't care for them much, apart from maps 31 and 32, which I consider to be two of the best IWAD maps.

yeah TNT had some really neat level design IMO, and I really liked that starry night sky. Plus TNT also had some cool music. Plutonia was interesting, but not necessarily better.

I never thought of it as being part of the classic DooMs. Though some of Plutonia's maps are still better than most of the maps from DooM II.

I really loved the TNT Evilution episode, but I hated the Plutonia Experiment episode since I couldn't beat it at all on UltraViolence skill without resorting to cheats. Even the quicksave feature didn't help me much there :p

@DarkJedi: That's what lower skill settings are there for. Plutonia is supposed to be hard and HMP is actually what was normally considered UV. Why do so many Doomers stick so rigidly to this stupid 'UV only' attitude? I actually prefer to play Plutonia on HMP because it is much more fun this way. Overall it's a great piece of work and aside from the original E1 the most consistent commercial Doom release.

Evilution on the other hand can be best described with one word: Uneven. There are many great levels in there but unfortunately there are also many crap levels. After removing many levels and having a smaller WAD of 18 levels remaining it was actually much better than the whole thing. It just proves the point that making a megawad for the sake of filling 32 map slots is not the brightest idea.

But back in 1996 when I bought it it was definitely worth the money.

Nmn said:

To be honest with You people, I much more prefer TNT over Plutonia. Dunno why. Perhaps Plutonia's small but cool levels don't speak my language too much. I prefer more imagination that was put into TNT. And I think TNT music (especially map01 and map04) simply owned Doom1 music used in PE.

As for Final Doom-I also enjoyed the PSX version. Especially due to the msuci used :)

I totally agree, and map 04's music rocked, I also like hangar and central processing, and storage facility movie was so funky I found it funny. I prefer FD tunes to Doom 2 and maybe equal if not better than the original Doom. Yeah insert, the starry night sky like on Crater, was really awesome.

as for which levels I liked best I really need to play it again but I liked Nukage Processing, the level design was beautiful, so was the mill, and shippin/packaging had some reall cool design elements. Central processing was another long fun level, that changed styles completely halfway through. Administration center reminded me of Doom 1 for some reason. I'm forgetting others I just remember it was like Doom reborn for me, which was lots of fun. Plutonia was good but the level designs weren't as fun, and I could only hack it on HMP.

I think Final Doom is a bit hard SP-wise...but in co-op, it's a blast.

I like Final Doom. I don't love it, but I do like it.
TNT is more fun to play and isn't that hard, but its maps have been more affected with the passage of time than Plutonia.
Plutonia, on the other hand, is tough and the vast majority of its levels still look good today, nearly 10 years later.
I'd still pick TNT over Plutonia, if only because it's more Doomer friendly.

Nmn said:

And I think TNT music (especially map01 and map04) simply owned Doom1 music used in PE.

TNT map11's music sounds like something made by an 11-year old though. I can't think of any other music track from a commercially released game that is so completely... wrong.

TNT is good for an all-around play for somebody bored of UD or D2. Levels are nice, and it's not too difficult. And yes, TNT's music overall is very nice (TeamTNT has almost always done good sound work).

Plutonia's levels are fairly fun, if not a little taxing (but certainly not impossible) on the harder skills. If PE had been released with completely new music, it probably would have been a much more "complete" level set, though it's still a blast from time to time.

Overall, FD is a worthy buy, just as much as D2 I think. And of course the original Ultimate Doom, which is just a prerequisite to anyone's collection. :P

The problem with Evilution was that there were some shoddy levels that brought down an otherwise great megawad. A few months back I committed to finishing Final Doom from start to finish. Plutonia was very challenging and had a cohesive design likely due to the same two people developing all 32 of the maps. Evilution on the other hand was not as challenging - which was a relief compared to some of the situations in Plutonia - but varied quite a bit between each map. With the number of mappers contributing to the project that's to be expected. I did not manage to finish Evilution from start to finish because the few shoddy maps did it in for me. I just didn't enjoy my time playing through some of the maps and wasn't sure if the next map would make up for it. So I quit but really it's hard to say if one is definitely superior to the other.

I prefer Plutonia for its cohesive design and its challenging situations. It lacks the variety of Evilution but that's fine with me. Final Doom was worth its price in 1996. It was well done for its time but given the many projects that have been released since then I have a hard time forcing myself to sit through Evilution -especially when there's WADs like the Darkening out there that I could be playing instead.

DemilinX said:

It was well done for its time but given the many projects that have been released since then I have a hard time forcing myself to sit through Evilution -especially when there's WADs like the Darkening out there that I could be playing instead.

Do what I did: Rip out the bad maps and condense it into something worth the time. It most definitely increases the fun playing it immesurably.

You know. I don't think I ever figured out how to beat TNT's Bossbrain. Theres like a wall covering it. I just beat it using the exit.

Hit the switch, kill the monsters in the back then send rockets. Even I did it. OK, in HNTR.
Ha, I forgot: you may cheat to grab the red key.

TNT and plutonia where pretty good,altough some levels and music from TNT where a bit on the crappy side.
At least both of them where better in detail if I compare those to doom 1&2.
Well maybe not every level was better,but most of them do.
Ive played final doom only on the psx,those master levels are sweet and the music/sfx they used rocks.