Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

ZDaemon

Friends, fellow doomers. I'd like to bring your attention to ZDaemon.

http://www.zdaemon.org

Now, I know what you're thinking. ZDaemon is just the most played online capable port, right? Wrong. It's more than that. It's more than just a port, it's a suite of programs specificly designed for maximum Doom multiplayer enjoyment. And the community is expanding every day, with events such as new maps on the official servers, ZDReview on the website, multiple monthly tournaments.

So, what exactly is ZDaemon?

ZDaemon.exe: The actual Doom Program. It's based on ZDoom 1.22 beta 33, which might seem old, but it actually strikes a nice balance. It has a lot of the more notciable addons to ZDoom, such as slopes, skyboxes deep water, and the like, plus all MBF effects, without making things too complicated and having each map being an "I bet I can out-ACS you" fest. It's a relatively new codebase, without being excessive.

ZLauncher.exe: Quite possibly THE best launcher for a Doom Source Port out there today. It's fast, easy to use, supports buddies, and can launch demos and find custom WAD's from within the program.

ZSL.exe: Zdaemon server launcher. THE best way to configure your servers. Never messed around with a .cfg server? ZSL simplifies the process for you. It's even integrated with a built in WAD hoster, so you don't have to upload your wads to webspace before hosting your custom map server.

Whatever you want to play, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, someone will probably be playing it. Want to play a 1on1 on judas23_? Sure. Want to participate in a huge FFA fest? You got it. Want to play some CTF on some of the best maps avalable for Doom CTF? You've got it.

ZDaemon also has a vast community of mappers at it's disposal who are constantly coming up with new ideas. From Earthquake, AlexMax, Exl and the rest of their contributors with the ZDaemon CTF series, to Toke and his constant refining of his maps to suit both oldskool (moo2d) and newskool (omgmaps, toke's CTF maps, toke's co-op megawad) players alike, not to mention the plethora of new mappers found on ZDaemon's forums, you'll always find new maps to frag on.

ZDaemon also features a very active clan scene with many well respected clans such as DUI and UD, and monthly tournaments in all kinda of gameplay types where the clans battle it out for domination.

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the ZDaemon community itself, from their active forums (forums.zdaemon.org) to their active IRC channel (#zdaemon at irc.freenode.net)

Despite our size, we're always looking for new players. Our community is made up of very friendly people who love the game, take pride in the work we contribute, and overall are just interested in having a fun time.

If you havn't played Doom multiplayer, you're really missing out. Give it a try.

Um...why did you post this? I'm sure everyone knows about Zdaemon.

I think he did it to educate us on a new and exciting port.

Bashe said:

Um...why did you post this? I'm sure everyone knows about Zdaemon.

It's called being an asshat because someone who plays skulltag wants to make a thread about it. You instantly assume that it's all carn's doing, but (and he and I don't really get along mind you), I can't imagine submerge being told by carn to make that thread.

Another fine example of how torn apart the doom community is, and instead of trying to work together you tear each other apart. Sad, but perhaps human nature trickles down into even the most menial of things.

Oh, and it looks like the only reason this was made is because mr badfish here registered just to bump the skulltag version of this topic by inserting insults and negative bullshit. Thanks badfish, you're the greatest!

Mancubus II said:

It's called being an asshat because someone who plays skulltag wants to make a thread about it. You instantly assume that it's all carn's doing, but (and he and I don't really get along mind you), I can't imagine submerge being told by carn to make that thread.

Another fine example of how torn apart the doom community is, and instead of trying to work together you tear each other apart. Sad, but perhaps human nature trickles down into even the most menial of things.

Its funny because its true: That indeed is the nature of this post. They talked shit about the simular Skull Tag topic when someone pasted the link to it and some staff (I shall not metion any names) suggested this. Sad thing.

For the love of god keep your moronic source port wars off DW. You're all a bunch of fags arguing over a 10-year old game. Congratulations.