Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Burning crap, yeah!

http://www.solardeathray.com/

The Solar Death Ray is a nifty device with about 112 mirrors angled such that they all concentrate on a single point. Needless to say, the power of 112 suns is enough to, well, fry an egg (but these guys did more than that). Click the link to see all kinds of things burning, from a copy of WWF War Zone for N64, to an AOL CD, to a pair of sunglasses, even some Marshmallow Peeps. Good for a cheap laugh. (Or a severe creeping-out, in the case of the chocolate bunny.)

They did something [url='http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/photogalleries/season_02/season_02.html']similar[/url](check the first 3 images on the link) on Myth Busters except it was much bigger. They tried to burn a wood boat with it but it barely raised the temperature of the wood.

OH MY GOD...

That had to be the single best waste of time I've EVER spent in my life, Jesus...I really got to start burning more stuff, me with my stupid "lighter"...damn Death Ray...

Jehar said:

meh. i can do more with a grape and a microwave.

Try melting bars of soap together in a gold laced cup.... kekekekeke

Actually, some scientists worked on sun light power plants several year ago. They used it to heat water under pressure to run generators, exactly same thing as our thermic and nuclear power plant just that sun substitutes fossil energy or uranium.

The problem, like windmills, is that it needs huge space for a rather low yield. And it's kinda ugly with all these giants mirrors all turning on their base to follow the sun and a huge "radar shaped" thing to collect the light in its center.

They also made trials with it and could make huge holes in solid blocks of rocks and metal... must be real hot !!!

Yet again there are quite a few places here on Earth with lots of very flat and completely arid terrain and once you got it up and running it should be fairly low maintenance.

I'm fairly sure you can find a few prime spots somewhere in Arizona.

There are already operating solar power plants that work exactly like this. I've seen pictures of them in several different publications.

TheDarkArchon said:

It would be sweet if it was put into a weapons mod somehow....

It would be awesome if it only worked in areas of a level with higher light levels, too. I wonder if you could hack the Doom engine so you could have "solar" powered weaponry, where ammo is generated just by standing in bright areas?

Snarboo said:

It would be awesome if it only worked in areas of a level with higher light levels, too. I wonder if you could hack the Doom engine so you could have "solar" powered weaponry, where ammo is generated just by standing in bright areas?

Ha ha! Then you could make a Boktai Doom mod!

Snarboo said:

Couldn't you just run scripts that ran only in certain sectors and refilled a particular ammo type?

Quast said:

Couldn't you just run scripts that ran only in certain sectors and refilled a particular ammo type?

Probably, but it would still be cool if there was something like that already built into a source port without requiring scripting. Also, it would be annoying to put scripts everywhere in your map that had enough lighting to power a light-based weapon.