Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Terrain that Doesn't Look Like Crap

sgtcrispy said:

Ah, the Doom Engine.
Is there anything it can't do?
Thats a rhetorical question.

rhetorical or not, i think the doom engine can do anything it sets its mind to.

MasterOfPuppets said:

rhetorical or not, i think the doom engine can do anything it sets its mind to.

Somebody get me curved surfaces. And bumpmapping. And real time world lights. And MD5's. And while you're at it, make a feature that supports those ugly little voxel models from SW and Blood.

Just got a chance to play around with this, really neat stuff :) Hopefully this will be used constructively in the next few months and not just to make a bunch of terrain maps :P

Fiend said:

Somebody get me curved surfaces. And bumpmapping. And real time world lights. And MD5's. And while you're at it, make a feature that supports those ugly little voxel models from SW and Blood.

you will eat those words, someday...maybe...

Nmn said:

kthx

type it out you lazy punks

Anyway, would you consider making this program for other ports like EDGE, once they have sloping implemented?

Good job

Nick Perrin said:

type it out you lazy punks

Anyway, would you consider making this program for other ports like EDGE, once they have sloping implemented?

Good job

If edge ever gets slopes it would be cool if they were implemented in the same manner as the zdoom slopes are, at least in terms of defining them in your map. That would make the process a lot easier.

Grubber said:

Thx for your opinions. There's still much work to do... like terrain optimalization...

You should add a gui which will help draw the colormap for you. You could make it fade into flat areas and such. I'm not sure what type of programming this requires though so it's simply a wishful suggestion.

Heh, I thought it'd be cool to write some WadC to do this, but being a luddite I didn't think of using zdoom slopes, mere floor/ceil heights (so it wouldn't look nearly as good).

Remember terragen? http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

Mancubus II said:

If edge ever gets slopes it would be cool if they were implemented in the same manner as the zdoom slopes are, at least in terms of defining them in your map.

How is this done in zdoom anyway?

BlackFish said:

That's what I use to make my Total Annihilation maps.

http://cataclysm.tauniverse.com

I thought I was the only one that still played that game. I've made a few maps but I used normal tilesets. I've been wanting to make custom tiles so maybe I'll check out terragen.

Mancubus II said:

If edge ever gets slopes it would be cool if they were implemented in the same manner as the zdoom slopes are, at least in terms of defining them in your map. That would make the process a lot easier.

Yes, if EDGE ever gets slopes we'll do it in a compatible way.

Hey maybe I'm totally getting this wrong but I can't get any of the output to work in zdoom 63a or 96, and I can't get wadauthor to open any of the generated files. Fetching doom builder as we speak. Can someone compare md5sums of the binary with me? I have two zterrains:

582802fa1e6309c9c01b8510899206df *orig/ZTerrain.exe
912ffca5558e73d7a1d57b9dc2191155 *ZTerrain.exe
When I try to run the 'original' ZTerrain.exe (Ling sent me it, the current one for download is newer?), I get 'This program cannot be run in DOS mode.' which is a queer error since I was running it in a WinXP command prompt.

It won't work with .63a because slope things are bugged in that version (and all others up until .91 or so). I couldn't tell you why you're having problems with .96, though.

NiGHTMARE said:

It won't work with .63a because slope things are bugged in that version (and all others up until .91 or so). I couldn't tell you why you're having problems with .96, though.

Cheers, that was enough to solve the problem. using .96, then opening the resulting wad in doom builder seems to do the trick.

I would play TA more often, if it werent for the fact it keeps crashing halfway through my game. I suspect I fucked up my hpi/ufo files o_O