Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitters

Chiller Castle Released.

Hi.

Well, mine work, but they usually lag like hell ie. Aztec.

Surely a 9600xt can handle Doom!?!?

evilhomerdoomer said:

Hi.

Well, mine work, but they usually lag like hell ie. Aztec.

Surely a 9600xt can handle Doom!?!?

When you going to a lower resolution and the lag is les, then you video card is not fast enough and you must go to a lower resolution. When it make no difference, then the computer isn’t fast enough. My levels for doomsday slurping CPU speed and memory, a Pentium 2G may not give problems.

Yeah, well this one works :0

It's great sitters! Keep up the work! You make Doom look better than Quake 3!

Damn everyone seems to have issues with sitters' wads, yes sometimes they a re a tad hard to ge tworking but SURELY you all agree they are WELL worth i. The time and effort this man puts into his projects is commendable and deserving of respect :) With that said i have 3 pc's in my house...on my main Rig this runs just fine at 1280x1040..but thats because i am running twin PCI-E 6800 Ultras (SLI)....but on my daughters low end machine i tried this yesterday and it worked rather nice at 800x600 on her little ole Fx5500. and hers is only an AMD XP3000+ 2.1ghz....with 512mb PC2700 DDR....

Everyone has got to remember, yes doom is 12 years or (give or take a year), but doomsday usues MODERN technology to enhance the gaming experiance, thus causing a higher end machine to be required than doom did all the way back then. Wit hthat in mind people should make sure their PC setups are high enough to meet the PORTS requirements BEFORE downloading mods for it assuming it will work great because other ports work well also...That would be like bitching because you installed Doom3 on a 1.4ghz system with a 64mb geforce mx4000 video card with a system memory of 512mb or less....and saying 'this game does not run fast enough" well DUH!!! if a port looks really REALLY good...try to play Doom..."Vanilla" style BEFORE dl'ing mods and whining they run to laggy, cause if teh mods run laggy then doom might also in certain sposts as well.

Not trying to bitch, just sick of people badgering Sitters because of their lack of attention to anything other than content of their posts...and teh lack of care about the time and effor this man places in his wads. Either appreciate them or quit whining...the typical "i like me ebut they are too had to make work" is gettign old...if you have DL'ed a sitters project and it did not work the first time...e-mail hime and get a copy in .pk3 format and request to him i na civil e-mail to do so...and NOT grip and whine about it everywhere else and TARNISH his reputation because you can't figure it out.

*gets down off of my soapbox*

I wasn't bitching. Just saying its amazing how he can push the doom engine to kill modern pcs! that takes skill to do. A good argument Dark;)

You levels are really gorgeous, but unfortunately rather plain. It plays like any generic doom level, find switch to open door, find switch to open a door, exit.

I think you could really make your levels something amazing if you incorporated the full power of JDoom into them. You could add some interesting scripted events like cave ins, castle puzzles, hidden staircases. That's another thing, this level needed alot of really fun secret areas. A castle should have hidden rooms all over, secret bookshelves and hidden floorplates. There's nothing quite like the rush of finding a really good secret.

Scuba Steve said:

I think you could really make your levels something amazing if you incorporated the full power of JDoom into them. You could add some interesting scripted events like cave ins, castle puzzles, hidden staircases. That's another thing, this level needed alot of really fun secret areas. A castle should have hidden rooms all over, secret bookshelves and hidden floorplates. There's nothing quite like the rush of finding a really good secret.

Yea, But when I make secrets that is hard to find, then people are saying it was to hard to find the exit, you must give more hints I must jumping all the walls. Then other people like the original game play of doom 2. In the early days I always make hard levels to find the exit and a lot of puzzling that was the challenge in that days ( only have the original doom no features ).
Now I don’t know, A wants this and B wants that etc, I think its never good.

Greetings

Feedback is good but you should't do everything they say, just do what your like the most.
Its your work in progress don't try to make what sombody else says he likes,thats stupid imo.
If someone doesn't like your level...big deal,as long as you like it.

I've already exracted the .zip file to it's proper place. If it's supposed to appear in kickstart it doesn't.

Mivalekan said:

I've already exracted the .zip file to it's proper place. If it's supposed to appear in kickstart it doesn't.

Thanks everybody,

You must drop the complete zipfile in the Auto directory, don't extract it. jDoom do that by himself, jDoom can handle compressed file's (latest version ).
And then just press play in kickstart with models on etc.

And for people that not like the game play in my levels :
I say make a better level for doomsday and try to cover me.

I am now moddeling for the level "Welcome in Hell"

Greetings

Dark_Shadow4002 said:

...on her little ole Fx5500. and hers is only an AMD XP3000+ 2.1ghz....with 512mb PC2700 DDR....

Little ole fx5500????!?!

ONLY AMD XP3000+ 2.1ghz with 512mb PC2700 DDR?!?!?!?!?

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY NUTS?? How old is your daughter? She has an awesome computer, even by today's standards.
One thing about doom engines though, they manage to lag even if they're not that amazing looking. For example, PNG textures can make something run slow when textures of the same hi-res in a newer game run smooth. And tons of enemies in one area can make things lag as well.

Anyway sitters I'm off to try the map!

@ Nick: Its my old PC, once i got my newer stuff i built her PC out of spare parts from my wifes and my computers so that when she is fully old enough to enjoy a computer she'll at least have something decent :D and she's only 4 ;)

@ sitters: sorry my friend for going off topic :)

Dark_Shadow4002 said:

she's only 4 ;)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH

Anyway, I played some of the map, looks cool but for some reason the transparent part of middle textures is black instead of transparent... does that happen for anyone else? It looks cool otherwise though!

Run the game with the -pwadtex commandline option.

BTW sitters, for future reference you could put that option in a rsp file so that users don't have to do it themselves.

Superb looking level.

I agree that it seems out of place having no secrets in a spooky castle.

As Scuba said I would really love to see you making more use of more of Doomsday's features eg XG can be used for some pretty complex puzzles and InFine can be used to create some very freaky effects.

Keep up the excellent work though.

Might I suggest you create a custom sky model for your hell level?

How about "In the belly of the beast" ie a town situated inside the stomach of a huge monster called "Hell". The creature called Hell stalks the afterlife feeding on souls trapped in limbo.

Yeah, well lets stay on subject.

Sitters: I believe that you should continue making these maps because they are one of the only few that
a. Are Doomsday specific
b. Make use of Dynamic lights
c. Have hi-res textures
d. Have a great, spooky atmosphere.
e. Actually resemble what the author wanted to create ie. a spooky Castle.

Keep up the good work.

Whoa,

Thanks to all, you ware very busy while I am sleeping.

I shall use in the future a .rsp file with all the command line options so everybody play it with the same options like me.
I am going to use XG programming.
Infine scripting I don’t know if I like that, I never did.

In the first place, my goal is to make a nice environment with modeling and other features. I use much dynamic lightning and models, so when my map reach the point of 2500x2500 the FPS are very fast dropping ( doomsday does more than only render the things that he sees) . so I must make a decision much secrets and less fighting space or visa versa . Maybe the bias lightning bring the solution.

I shall spend more time to the game play in the next level, but I must say I am a environment maker and not a player, maybe there is an expert that wants to make the game play in the future.

Kind regards.

I really enjoyed this map, but I think the criticisms above are fair. You've already proven your skill at mapping and modeling, now just push yourself to learn more.

Yes I am going spend more time for the game play and GX programming, The next level Welcome to hell, is going to bee a sneaky one.

Greetings.

Moving back to the whole secret thing for a minute:

Sitters, secret areas are fine, you just need to give some tiny bit of a clue that something is there. Secrets are supposed to be hard to find, not near impossible.

Perfectly aligning a texture and setting the linedef to secret on a DR linedef isn't going to be findable by anyone unless they wallhump everything in sight.

That was the point I was trying to get at, not that you shouldn't have any secret areas at all.

Play some other doom levels, notice how they do secrets. It might be a quickly opening and closing door behind you after you go around the bend of a hallway/tunnel. It might be a switch that thats easy to see, however what it does is what takes time to figure out, etc etc.

In your levels, you could use the models to hint at a secret location, say have 3 or 4 statues, but one is slightly crooked from the rest, or on those book statues you had in Chiller Castle, you could have one that's holding a book that's a slightly diffent color than the ones around it, etc etc.

I'm not saying you should use those, but I'm just trying to give you ideas for stuff that you can use.