Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsoldier

Nightmare Anyone??

Nightmare is the funniest difficulty level!!!It is so hilarous because it is so impossible but it is possible in a way.

So, who here likes nightmare?

Nah, can't say I dig nightmare that much. The whole monsters getting back up thing is irritating, especially if they come in large numbers on a large map.

NM is great, and possible on a wider variety of maps than you'd expect at first. It's best to know the map and have a route planned out before attempting it though.

Of course, on some maps it is a physical impossibility, or so hard that it's just no fun at all.

Nightmare mode is a great feature of DOOM. It's there to make one thing clear: DOOM will always kick your ass. Kinda gives DOOM its immortal feeling in my opinion.

I haven't attempted Nightmare very much. I like to take my time and completely cleanse a map of its demons, secrets & items. With respawning monsters, I could never be satisfied with leaving a map.

A great alternative is UV-fast. Set the -fast parameter on an Ultra-Violent game to play with fast monsters. It makes for much more challenging gameplay, though not as extreme as Nightmare itself.
This semi-Nightmare mode is also used in Quake, where Nightmare works like UV-fast.

[lookatme]I've done all IWADs on UV-fast, and most of the Master Levels,[/lookatme] but Nightmare will always kick my ass.

DooM3 hardest skill level on the other hand,is so damn annoying.
Your health drops every few seconds :(

Never did an good attempt at completing an nightmare level with classic doom btw.
Gotta try it some day, I probably will die plenty but at least its fun.
Altough respawning monsters are kinda irritating imo.

Doomsoldier said:

Nightmare is the funniest difficulty level! It is so hilarious because it is so impossible but it is possible in a way.

So, who here likes nightmare?

I don't like it myself, too hard for me :(
I never could beat all that many IWAD maps on NM, especially not the Plutonia ones. The record so far is three levels, one right after the other, in Ultimate Doom's first ep.
After that I just got bored and quit trying.

DooMBoy said:

I never could beat all that many IWAD maps on NM, especially not the Plutonia ones. The record so far is three levels, one right after the other, in Ultimate Doom's first ep.

Episode 1 is relatively hard on NM (I recall Vile rated only Episode 4 harder of the Ultimate Doom episodes on NM). Maps with lots of hitscan enemies tend to have a biggest leap in difficulty from skill 4 to skill 5.

I don't play Nightmare. It negates my main motivation to play Doom (killing everything) so it seems rather pointless to me.

i would love nightmare if it werent for the enemy respawn. when i play doom, especially big levels i like to take my sweet time and clear the monsters out methodically, while making sure to get every pick up, and explore every nook and cranny. the respawn makes this impossible, and any feeling that i would get after clearing a huge level completely after an hour+ is gone. thus, i only play on UV.

I enjoy playing on NM but it sure as hell is difficult. Like grazza pointed out, hitscan enemies become the biggest threat (generally speaking).

I suggest trying episode 3 on NM though, as it's not actually that hard if you have a route planned out.

Monsters I kill should stay dead :p
I've played Nightmare from time to time, but its mostly not my style (as I like to be sure the level is really empty when I leave)

I like more ultra violence + fast monsters ,than NM.
that endless respawning is boring.

sorry about my bad english :(

I hate NM. Its boring to have all the Demons respawn. I like the sense of accoplisment I get from killing enemies. I don't like to turn around and see them come back. I don't mind hard challenges, but NM is insane.

Fredrik said:

"I don't have what it takes."

Lame!

Nightmare sucks. Period. It's no fun fighting monsters that can't die. Nightmare's only goal is to get to the exit alive and that's not motivation enough to play.

One of the greatest things about Doom is that it can be played in so many ways.

Some people like to have everything dead and every last armour and health bonus collected before they exit. Others may not see killing stuff as the main point of the game at all, and just as something to be done as and when necessary in order to reach the exit. And there are those to whom the greatest thrill is derived from the feeling of urgency and of constantly being hunted, and Nightmare delivers this in abundance, and the satisfaction (when exiting) of pulling off what can feel like an against-all-odds miracle.

Incidentally, Graf Zahl's own Cchest2 map09 springs to mind as an example of a map that can be played in a huge variety of ways (including Max, Speed, Pacifist, -respawn, Tyson, NM and NM secrets), and is a very different experience in each.

I finished DooM 1 nightmare once. Plus I played through the hardest skill level in the first 3 episodes of Heretic without losing a single point of health! Of course, for both occasions I did save my game, plus took advantage of the bug where monsters would forget about you when you saved and reloaded... only occasionally.

I mean, the rate that D'Sparil spawns disciples in hardest skill level is insane... imagine trying to avoid a gagillion purple orbs without losing a SINGLE point of Health.

I also played through the first two hubs in HeXen... I remember how important it was to avoid using the invulnerability in the second hub in the room with the fire trap and darts, on Shadow Wood, only to have to waste it on a required drop that cost you five points of health... with no other danger nearby....

I beat E1 on Nightmare, and that's good enough for me. Maybe people think I'm crazy, but I keep coming back to E1 for all that extra stuff (co-op, DM, speedruns, Tyson, etc). It's the only episode where I find it fun-- as opposed to challenging for the sake of being challenging. Plus I know the whole episode like the back of my hand.

Yeah all I did on NM was E1. I didn't have Doom2 at that point.

I was thinking of making some levels for Nightmare skill level only. Maybe I shouldn't bother since no-one seems to like monster respawns!

Heavy_Z said:

I hate NM. Its boring to have all the Demons respawn. I like the sense of accoplisment I get from killing enemies. I don't like to turn around and see them come back. I don't mind hard challenges, but NM is insane.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Graf Zahl said:

Nightmare sucks. Period. It's no fun fighting monsters that can't die. Nightmare's only goal is to get to the exit alive and that's not motivation enough to play.

You're just too slow to reach the exit before they wake up again.

I think it's weak to judge a category or skill merely by what we can do ourselves, our limitations; some stuff is nearly impossible for me on Nightmare! where other players are more at home, but that by no means diminishes my linking of the fact that the skill level provides further playability nor the admiration for those who are greatly skilled in such environments.

Nightmare! offers a really exciting fast-paced challenge, and one of the cool things about DOOM (in its standard incarnation) is the various ways it can be played. I don't get people who play it only one way; "hey it only makes sense if you kill all the monsters," or whatever. It's the result of a culture where the weight is on feature happy maps and "let's see what he did in this release" as opposed to playing the game.

I can only get to E1M3 without dying. Its too hard.

I do like the combination of fast and Ultra-Violence. That is usually the difficulty I like to play on.

I only play nightmare for fun and not for blood.

Now one thing I really like to do is get my buddies together and set the game parameter to Respawn Monsters+Ultra-Violence and just have a big slaughterfest. We would usually keep count of how many kills we got....But that is no where near as fun as Doom Multiplayer!!

Graf Zahl said:

Lame!

Lame!

It's incredible how narrow-minded you are ! I understand that people like to kill all monsters and score all secrets (I like it myself too) and consider it as the only way to play Doom.
Doom has a whole variety of styles to toy around with. I understand that you might not like most of them but there is no point to say this or this sucks.
Lots of players find nightmare highly fun and playable. So please stop insulting us.

I like most styles, except maybe pacifist and some boring tyson... my fave are speedruns on UV and NM, movies and nightmare secrets. I also have fun playing max, -fast and -respawn.