Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsoldier

Nightmare Anyone??

Graf Zahl said:

I don't play Nightmare. It negates my main motivation to play Doom (killing everything) so it seems rather pointless to me.

Yup.

VinceDSS said:

Lame!

(and a rather large pile of other stuff)

You should read the post I responded to and then judge it again. I just don't like if someone is being dismissive (as in "I don't have what it takes.") and just responded in kind. Nevertheless I still stand by my opinion: IMHO Nightmare sucks.
I'd rather have something useful in that place of the menu.

So let me sum up my thoughts and say I think you suck.
You are not known to be open minded anyway, so I guess I should have never posted. My bad !

VinceDSS said:

So let me sum up my thoughts and say I think you suck.
You are not known to be open minded anyway, so I guess I should have never posted. My bad !

If you feel insulted by an intentionally harsh response to an inappropriate remark that's your problem.

And I'm sorry to say that this particular remark makes you look like an idiot.

Nah; he was too rash, perhaps, but clearly perceived and admitted it. Fredrik's post still bears a lot of truth, though.

Enjay said:
Yup.

I used to mostly do that back in the day; in the end it's mainly because when one first plays a map, one wants to check all of it out, so killing everything, to check the battles all over the map as a part of the process, systematically becomes a secondhand given. As far as sight-seeing, that is the way to go, where the main point in a wad is the whole scope and the novelties. But when it comes to playing for the sake of the game as such, one naturally looks for more ways to draw the juice out of maps, first possibly simply speedrunning, and then also in more challenging ways such as Nightmare! or applying certain restrictions (e.g., Tyson, reality.) And indeed, these additional tasks can be fun and rewarding, though challenging.

I'm with the "kill 'em all and they should stay dead crowd". Respawning monsters are just too damn annoying!

I'd say the unforgiving nature of NM isn't really suited for most people. It requires good reactions and the ability to adapt to unexpected situations, but most importantly, it requires perfect map knowledge.

You just cannot play NM with a casual attitude, which is why I believe it's impopular. I don't like it all that much, but it can be a fun challenge sometimes. I only recently tried to play the UDoom/Doom 2 maps in NM for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised that I could complete most of them without much trouble.

fast monsters I do like... but... resurrecting... no. why waste your ammo, when you can just go pacifist to the exit? bo-ring. :(

Nightmare is just nightmare... and I like it! It's good alternative for UV, when you just want to test your mettle. Many people don't like NM because it's impossible to kill all monsters or have 100% secrets, but that's not the point of this level. I'm not that good to complete entire episode on NM without dying... but I agree that it gives Doom immortality. And what satisfaction I had after completing E2 on NM (um, I did it just now)...

Touchdown said:

NM ... impossible to kill all monsters or have 100% secrets

"Nightmare with 100% Secrets" is one of the standard demo categories (NM100S). As a generalization, it tends to be feasible on the majority of the maps where standard Nightmare is possible (though there are maps that are easy on NM but extremely difficult or impossible for NM100S).