Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Submerge

Texture Importing

I believe that you should have the location of skulltag.wad input into Doom Builder's files section as well as the IWADS, so DB can automatically read textures and things from skulltag.wad when you create a map in the skulltag format, instead of having to place skulltag.wad in the import textures section of the map information.

This would make it easier for people who want to make a map using textures for skulltag both from skulltag.wad and some other package of textures (I face this problem often).

Of course, you could just make it possible to import textures from several different files at once when you start a new map..... that would render the above suggestion moot.

I like your first suggestion better. The second would make db stray from a pure mapping tool. But it would save a few clicks per day if skulltag wads automatically associated themselves with skulltag.wad.

There is no way I can put a reference to skulltag.wad in the configuration and make it work well. Simply because DB wont know where it resides. I will think about making it possible to open more than 1 resource WAD file.

first of all. the config files cannot have file paths? I thought they could...

and having multiple resource wads would be cool.

Oh yes they can have filenames and paths in them (strings), but what if I would add to the Skull Tag configuration:

extraresourcewad = "skulltag.wad";
Where is skulltag.wad? The only paths DB knows is its own path, the path where your IWAD is and maybe the path where the sourceport is that you set for testing, but you may not even have configured the testing settings yet. Skulltag.wad doesnt have to be in any of these paths.

I dont want to add the full absolute path to the configuration, because it would force people to edit the configuration, which I dont think is a good idea. The ability to open multiple resource WAD files is the best solution IMO.

what if you integrated it into the iwad locator, so that you can just use the same technique to specify the location of skulltag.wad

Nah, thats making hardcoded exceptions for a single sourceport. Im very carefull with that because it doesnt really make the code much nicer. I think the only sourceport exception I current agreed with is 3D Mode slopes for ZDoom, but ZDoom based sourceports have that as well.

go for the multiple resource wads at once. boost the number to 3 or something. can't go wrong there.

CodeImp said:

... with is 3D Mode slopes for ZDoom, but ZDoom based sourceports have that as well.

YES! and thing placeholders in 3d mode too.