Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

oversites

What do you think is the most annoying thing id left out of the original doom when it was first releast? A foolish oversite is what I'm talking about, I know most of the stuff was fixed in source ports, but what is somthing they realy should have done first time around?

for me, I'd have to say is was that spectors, imps, barrons, ect can bite/scrach you at point blank range if you were on the top of a tall cliff, and they were on the bottom.

If thay go to all the effort to make projectils to go over you head, but you can't go under a lost soul?

for me, I'd have to say is was that spectors, imps, barrons, ect can bite/scrach you at point blank range if you were on the top of a tall cliff, and they were on the bottom.

If thay go to all the effort to make projectils to go over you head, but you can't go under a lost soul?

Heh, come to think of it, those two are also oversites that I'd have to agree with. One for me that I found annoying was that sometimes when you'd be rapid firing the shotgun the "pumping/reload" sprite would be slightly shifted to the right which would screw up your aim. But PrBoom fixed that :)

Sometimes I notice that when I'm trying to shoot something above me on a ledge I'll aim the sights right at him horizontally and fire and it hits the ledge and not him, even though I'm aiming right at him horizontally. Eh.

I concur. I'd say the any-height scratching and Lost Soul collisions are definitely the most annoying overSIGHTS in Doom.

As for the aiming, that does get annoying that you have to have some good distance for the verticals to kick in. =/

That thing with the lost souls pisses me off. I hate when I'm walking through Icon of Sin, minding my own business, trying to create a demon bloodbath and then all of the sudden, I CAN'T MOVE. No, mama, no! What the hell is it! Just then I realize the Pain elemental floating about 30 feet away...grrr

Anyways, one of the things I would redo would be to make the Doom 2 levels more like the origional Doom levels. I swear that they forgot to add the details to some of those levels. All the brown in the first 10 maps, the green slime walls of death on Chasm and Icon of Sin, and a general overuse of one texture on many of the levels.

Ironically, I just posted a similar message at Newdoom, which I just joined. A strange lot they are...

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot...'tis a silly place.

One for me that I found annoying was that sometimes when you'd be rapid firing the shotgun the "pumping/reload" sprite would be slightly shifted to the right which would screw up your aim. But PrBoom fixed that :)

Damn, that was annoying. I never even realized that was a problem until some thread where I was bitching about shooting a guy right at point-blank range with the DB Shotgun and only one or two pellets would hit him, and Ling pointed out how that worked and I finally realized what had been what I thought was a close-range clipping problem was just a sprite misalignment.

A strange lot they are...

As opposed to who, us? :P

One for me that I found annoying was that sometimes when you'd be rapid firing the shotgun the "pumping/reload" sprite would be slightly shifted to the right which would screw up your aim. But PrBoom fixed that :)

Damn, that was annoying. I never even realized that was a problem until some thread where I was bitching about shooting a guy right at point-blank range with the DB Shotgun and only one or two pellets would hit him, and Ling pointed out how that worked and I finally realized what had been what I thought was a close-range clipping problem was just a sprite misalignment.

Heh. I remember posting almost the same topic about the single shotgun and pounding Imps at point blank range but having it take two shots to take him down. Turned out to be some sort of randomness in DOOM's damage calculations.

Let's just say I concurr with everything that everybody in this thread has said so far.

I concur with that.