Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Draconio

Is there any better way to check class in Hexen?

Last night I was trying to come up with a script that would check what class a player in Hexen is, and reject access to an area if the player was not of the desired class. This is what I came up with:

Script 1 (int CheckerTID, int DenialAngle)
{
	If (ThingCount(T_NONE, CheckerTID) == 0)
	{
	Print(s:"Your caste is not welcome here.  Be gone!");
	ThrustThing(DenialAngle, 512);
	}
}
When the player attempts to cross the line that activates the script, it searches for a map spot with the TID CheckerTID, which is flagged only to appear for the allowed class(es). If it's not there, the player is given a message and thrown back in the direction defined by DenialAngle. This can, of course, be modified for different effects.

This works, but I'm pretty sure it will get broken on a multiplayer game, since it relies on the map rather than the player themself. Is there a better way to get this result, that will work even if there are players of more than one class around?

Using a library script:

script ### enter {
	if(class != 0) { terminate; }
	delay(15); //I forget what this is for
	if(checkweapon("FWeapFist")) { class = 1; }	
	if(checkweapon("CWeapMace")) { class = 2; }
	if(checkweapon("MWeapWand")) { class = 3; }	
}
function int getclass(void) { return class; }
Where class is a world variable. I'm not sure if it works across multiple maps, but it works for a single map.

Edit: I missed the multiplayer part. You could modify it to run for each player and store the class in an arrary or a variable for each player number.

You'll have to excuse me, I just woke up.

Thanks for the input. From that info, I was able to make this new version of the script:

#include "common.acs"

int Class[8];
str FighterWeapons[4] = { "FWeapFist", "FWeapAxe", "FWeapHammer", "FWeapQuietus" };
str ClericWeapons[4] = { "CWeapMace", "CWeapStaff", "CWeapFlame", "CWeapWraithverge" };
str MageWeapons[4] = { "MWeapWand", "MWeapFrost", "MWeapLightning", "MWeapBloodscourge" };

Script 1 Enter
{
	Delay(15);
	For(Int CheckEachWeapon = 0; CheckEachWeapon < 4; CheckEachWeapon++)
	{
		If(Class[PlayerNumber()] != 0) { terminate; }
		If(CheckWeapon(FighterWeapons[CheckEachWeapon])) { Class[PlayerNumber()] = 1; }	
		If(CheckWeapon(ClericWeapons[CheckEachWeapon])) { Class[PlayerNumber()] = 2; }
		If(CheckWeapon(MageWeapons[CheckEachWeapon])) { Class[PlayerNumber()] = 3; }
	}
}

Script 2 (int AllowedClass, int DenialAngle)
{
	If (Class[PlayerNumber()] != AllowedClass)
	{
		Print(s:"Your caste is not welcome here.  Be gone!");
		ThrustThing(DenialAngle, 512);
	}
}
This one identifies the player's class even if they come into the level holding a different weapon than weapon #1, and should identify all eight players in a cooperative game.