Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

My First Weapon (kinda suxxors!)

Made a new thread because this was buried in an old thread, need input cause I'd like to get back to practicing this skill ASAP.
Thanks

Near Finished Progress on my very first DOOM gun

comments please. Oh, and keep in mind I used MS Paint though I don't plan to use it next time.
I know the muzzle flash is extremely crappy.The green is also probably wrong, but easily fixable. that said, I didn't have smudge available but any advice on that is welcome too.

can't wait to try out NmN's tut.

Mivalekan said:

Looks cool. But it looks too much like a toy gun.

advice toward remedying that would be more constructive. and yes I see what you mean, not good, at least it IS my first, time to make all the major mistakes is right now.

Xanny, can you possibly replace the green and blue on the bottom one with some dark blacks, and maybe some deep crimson?

Chrono_T said:

Xanny, can you possibly replace the green and blue on the bottom one with some dark blacks, and maybe some deep crimson?

I'll see what i can do.

You did that in MS Paint? Damn, anything I make in MS Paint suxx0rz.

WildWeasel said:

This is actually a pretty good gun. Its looks remind me of Unreal's Biorifle.

affectionately called the splooge gun? thanks I think.

EDIT: I uploaded a slight color change per chrono_T's request. Though I have to say chrono that black is by definition dark.
^_-

It's a very good gun, yes. Looks like something out of Turok 2 to me, such as the Mag 60 or perhaps the Tranq Gun.

The gun is great. I really like the way You used the high angle to give it the upper mentioned "Turok" feel. Great work.
There are a couple issues. I made an edit to Your gun trying to show what I did.

First of all, I suggest You work with the Doom's pallette. I'm not certain if MSPain allows using custom pallettes. I haven't used that thing for ages. Anyway, when I applied the pallette the image came with some colors distorted. I also suggest studying the pallette on what colors to use-so You don't use Steel blues for instance ;)

Next-antialiasing. I believe You know what it is but if You're having some trouble go here:
http://web1.t43.greatnet.de/pixelacademy/viewtopic.php?t=6
It really explain it's proper use. There were a couple of places I had to smooth. The basic rule about making things smooth is using more than 5 values of the shades for large parts of the weapons and anti-alising on smaller parts. I think You'll get a good grip on this stuff soon.

Color usage-a lot of shades in the Doom pallette were made for either-special effects or special purposes. This includes pure greens (green armor, green projectiles, nukage, green flashes), royal blues (blue armor, blue effects, fwater), violets (caco's projectile and Keen), and pure reds (blood and fire mostly). I advice on NOT using them. Use the browns, pinks, greys and khaki greens for Your works. They are low saturated and make more realism into a weapon-and use the rest for special stuff. I've changed the blue hose on the gun's top to a olive-green one. I think it looks a bit better.

The muzzle-flash-You not necesarrily need to have smudge functions. The basic thing is to have some reference for Your flash. Weapon mods come very handy here. Otherwise, even if with smudging, it will look "not-right". I've changed the flash a bit on the weapon to ilustrate what I meant.

My tutorial is a bit obsolete on technique because it involves using the line tools and layers more, but when it comes to general setting up the weapon-it does serve it's purpose. Since as I can see here-You have a good grip on Pixel art, You should be cracking great weapons soon. And it's nice to see some more weapon artists after Corrupted_Marine left us :(

I invite You to a pixelling forum if You want to sharp Your skills.
http://web1.t43.greatnet.de/pixelacademy/viewtopic.php?t=6
Me, Vader and Scuba visit that place a lot and if You wish to gear up Your experience and knowledge it's one of the best places to go.
Cheers! :)