Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ViperBoy

Creating new textures

Do i need to do something with some lump called pnames or can i just add a regular lump called (for example) texture1 and put a graphic in it and use it ?

Do i need to do something with some lump called pnames or can i just add a regular lump called (for example) texture1 and put a graphic in it and use it ?

Before you can create a custom texture, you must first insert a graphic patch for the texture. In WinTex, you begin by inserting your patch. WinTex automatically creates a PNAMES lump for you. Next you edit DooM's texture list to insert your patch into a texture. When you save it, WinTex creates a TEXTURE1 lump for you.

In XWE, begin by copying and pasting the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from DooM2.wad into your wad. Next, you insert your patch, create a PP_START marker that goes before your list of patches, and a PP_END marker that goes at the end of the list. Edit the texture list to either create a new texture or modify an existing texture. Remember to save the new texture list, and you're all set.

I forgot to mention that DeepSea is also very good for graphics editing.

.. or can i just add ... a graphic in it and use it ?

Yes. Using DeePsea, press F7 and select "AUTO Textures from BMPs".

Then press "Add Files" and add BMP or PCX file(s). Press Save and a new file with TEXTURE1/PNAMES with all the patches is created.

The default name(s) are the name(s) you gave your BMPs, however you can rename them in the dialog if you like.

Merge the file you just made with your PWAD. Again on the F7 menu - "Merge-Import Multiple FILES into a PWAD". IOW, you can easily use the new set of textures in any PWAD you like.

The Texture Edit tool can adjust size or patch used if you change your mind.

Works for any DOOM port. Version here is old, current version is at www.sbsoftware.com

<< Is it any different if I use Edge (i'm using Wintex) ? >>

Well, EDGE works fine with Doom(2)'s pnames and texture1, and those in any other add-on (Memento Mori, Requiem, or whatever), so why should it be any different with yours?

Logic, my good friend, logic :)