Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

The Revolution Begins!

Nintendo announced and showed the Revolution prototypes yesterday. It is my personal favorite of the 3 next gen consoles being released within the next few months. Reasons being:

Free Online Wireless Internet Services
Completely wireless system(controllers, plugs, etc)
Gamecube Backwards compatability
Option to download NES, SNES, & N64 Games
Compact Size
DVD playing capabilities
And of course, Nintendo franchises.
Announced titles: Super Smash Bros 3, Metroid Prime 3

I feel that this system will most likely suit me much more than the 360 and PS3. Plus, it will most likely be cheaper and sturdier than the other consoles as well.

What do some of you think about the Revolution?

If Super Smash Brothers 3 and Metroid Prime 3 were the only things to get a Revolution I'd get it. Just for the fact I think Nintendo's games have more fun involved when it comes to game play :) Nintendo Revolution will be so awesome. Though I'm still curious on what PS3's so called Halo-killing game will be. Nintendo Revolution all the way :)

That actually doesn't sound too bad. Even though I'm rooting for the 360, the free internet services and options to download ability to download other Nintendo franchise games is pretty sweet.

Ralphis said:

Option to download NES, SNES, & N64 Games

W00T!!

It's either a Revolution or a PS3 here: The XBox 360 sounds too much like an XBox 1.5, IMO.

My thoughts on console fps are not too high...
and all of these sequals killing the franchise... i hate those even more. I hold Sony in respect for coming out with the *most* new titles, and not just rehash's. Nintendo is releasing nothing but these.
The console world needs a big wake up call. In the form of mice.

Oh and the ability to get older games *sounds* cool.
But you will probably have to pay.
And I thought that's what emulation was for.

Ralphis said:

Nice in theory. However, in practice this means extra time, effort and money spent replacing batteries.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this console if only for Meteroid Prime 3... though I'm hoping Resident Evil 5 will make an appearance as well :).

Personally, I'm not the biggest Nintendo fan, and this just sounds like another chapter in a franchise that has been clinging on to a red plumber and a little elf in green tights for way too long...

The fact that you it has backwards compatibility AND the option to download classical favorites has just drawn my attention away from the Xbox 360 and Ps3.

I believe the next XBox will show up in time for Christmas this year, the next Nintendo and Sony systems will show next year. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this though.
And I'm going to get a Nintendo Revolution, if only for the next Smash Bros. and Metroid Prime games.

Yeah, this thing is going to kick ass.

I will buy it for the sole reason of getting all of the old school snes and nes games. I don't even care what else it can do... I'm buying it for that feature alone!

Ralphis said:

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that it will have a POWER CORD

Linguica said:

Well yes, I assume that would be so. From what I understand though, the signal to the television may be wireless as well.

Linguica said:

No. It will generate electricity from the heat its CPU produces.

Okay, I'm sold. Provided that Nintendo allows other publishers to release their NES/SNES/N64 games for download on this thing, I'll finally be able to play games like Body Harvest, Hybrid Heaven, and Paper Mario the way they're meant to be played.

Super Smash Brothers 3 is something I look forward to, however, just a nit-pic, is that all three consoles look the same. They are rectangles. And from what I've read and seen so far, pretty much all do the same things. Either way, sounds cool.

I'm having trouble getting excited over the prospect of a few gimmicks and the ability to play the same games I've been playing on emulators for years. But then the massive post-XBOX360 and -PS3 erection hasn't really worn off yet.

Do none of you emulate?

EDIT: after watching that vid, i feel sorta "wow", but mostly intimidated.
But it was enough to keep my eyes on it from now on. I am a big supporter of VR.

That video was a fan made fake, that fact being AndewB's cleverly hidden cynicism. Nintendo wouldn't muck around with VR ever again I'd think. Not after the VirtualBoy.

Also, the Revolution is the most underhyped console, and I personally think it will be a hit.

I've always had unwavering faith in the quality of Nintendo's products. This just proves me right. I'm getting a Nintendo Revolution.

And a PS3 (More Backwards compatability!).

The XBox 360 can rot.

I'm definitely getting a Revolution, maybe even at launch or soon after. Considering how many Gamecube games I already have plus the backwards compatability, old school releases for download, and free internet, it will have payed for itself by release. :)

OK, first off. I can't see a way of transferring power over a wireless connection. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. A battery would just be impractical.

Secondly:

The Nintendo website said:
An innovative self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. You can also equip a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

To me this means it will not support DVDs, instead will have an optional unit that you plug into the revolution to use DVDs, perhaps as a separate purchase.

Thirdly, I think that a virtual reality input device would be awesome. The only way to make games more realistic and immersive than they already are is to immerse the player in the game world through some kind of VR or 3D-holographic setup, in my opinion. With VR being the more viable option, it would be cool if Nintendo have gone for this, however I don't know if they can pull it off judging by the fate of the Virtual Boy. I know we're in for something special though. Or at least I hope.

TheDarkArchon said:

I don't know about you, but IMO, for console games, Gamepad > Keyboard

You do realize that not only are there gamepads for the PC, but devices which let you use console gamepads (well, the PS2 gamepad at least) with the PC, right?

GooberMan said:

You do know that was a homebrew video, right?

Congratulations! You just found my cynicism.