Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Who's getting a handheld?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000520043660/

Gameboy Micro looks like it might be one of those definite buys for me. My GBA found its way to a cousin's house last year, where she doesn't know the difference between "gift" and "loan". So if this thing is priced to move (<$70), I just might pick it up.

Also: anyone have PSP's? I wish I had the money for one right now, but it doesn't seem to be a worthwhile investment for the time being after taking a look at the current library.

i'm getting a psp, when the price drops down, the gameboy micro is to damn small. plus, not into nintendo, I only like the mario games(not the spin offs, the single player mario games)

I already have a GameBoy Advance, AND a Nintendo DS, so what's the point in buying the GameBoy Micro? To have an even smaller version of the already small gameboy advance with almost microscopic buttons? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

As for the PSP, I bought one for my sister as a birthday present a couple of months ago. I haven't really had a chance to toy with it.

I donno...I'm really not much for the handheld craze, but if I had to choose, I'd probably get a PSP, or if Microsoft puts one out, I'll go with that.

Hmm, while it looks kinda nifty, it also looks kind of uncomfortable. I guess I'd have to see it in person. Perhaps I'd get one if my SP ever died on me.

kristus said:

AgentSpork: How rich are you?

Dead broke NOW. A couple months ago, however, it would have been a different story. :P

Well, I'm a bit picky about consoles. The only one I've ever bought with my own money was a PS2 (NES and GBA were gifts). Time's about ripe for a GB since I have these games just sitting around-- and GBM looks ideal if it's cheap enough.

It should tide me over until PS3.

EDIT: The thing I don't understand is the fact that they slant the A and B buttons is to accomodate your thumb's radial movement. So why don't they do the same thing for the D-pad?

I like my good old first-style Gameboy, people give me a O_O look when I whip that bad-boy out, though it's not too old, people look at me like I am holding a ghost or something. Maybe I am? :D

In any event, if I were to get anything, I'd get an SP, so I could hook up to the gamecube and play some FF when I please. :D

The GBA is good for two games only, beyond that a console is what you play GTA on while you wait for the real version to come out

I'm still bummed that some bastard stole my GBA (with Doom in it!) at school way back in like December...I lost Doom. :(

Still, I have another GBA and a DS, so I don't need another.

Bashe said:

I'm still bummed that some bastard stole my GBA (with Doom in it!) at school way back in like December...I lost Doom. :(

Only an absolute retard would take their expensive handheld electronic entertainment item to school and then be stupid enough to somehow have it stolen

Game Gear is the shit. It was made in, like what, 1994, and it had color and a light-up screen. It was definitely ahead of it's time.

My friend has a game gear with Power Rangers, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Joe Montana Football.

I've never been very impressed with Gameboy games, so I never got one until a year or so after the color came out. What I really don't like about it is that they come out with a new handheld every year and a half and it's really annoying. I just don't bother with it, I only play mine when I'm visiting my grandparents. :P
Also, would it be more than a delicate soldering job to put a gameboy advance screen in a Game Gear?

man, I bought a gameboy (advance?) a few years ago, played it for about a month and then I never touched it again.

I just prefer to sit back with the MP3 player where ever I go. And no matter how nintendo or microsoft advertise it, sitting on wall ignoring the world playing your Gameboy SP Micro Advance Super Mario World DS PLusPLus will never, ever be cool.

I love Game Boys. There are just so many fun games for them. They're the only console-brand anythign I really like. I own a clear GB Play It Loud Series (broken sadly), a GBA, and a GB-SP. I don't like the looks of DSes and I don't intend to get one until they come out with good games and I get to see one in action (and like what I see).

Any other handheld can suck it.

i alreaqdy have a GBA and DS, so why would i want that. i wonder if it is back lighted?

i might still get a PSP, just waiting to see how it does. the DS is a nice system, but wished it had more power. i was very impressed with the PSP. however the best technology does not mean it will have the best games or even do as well compared to other systems

Bashe said:

Same damn thing happened to me

Slight topic change: I'm looking to expand my game collection in anticipation for the release of this handheld.

I found a great page that lists multi-boot games (games that only require one cartridge for multiplayer). It doesn't look like it's been updated recently, but it's enough to work with.

However, my major thing is 3D-- there's an "oldschool" element to 3D on the GBA that I can't resist. I already have Doom and Wolf3D, and Doom2 is a given, so I poked around and found the following list. They seem to be the best of the bunch, from a review perspective...

Ecks vs. Sever 2
Duke Nukem Advance
Iridion 2
Star X
Driver 2
Need for Speed Underground 2
Stuntman
Top Gear Rally
V-Rally
GT Advance 3
Colin McRae Rally 2.0

They all look pretty good, but there seem to be a lot of rally racing games, so...

I found that Top Gear and V-Rally use 3D engines with sprites here and there (and also feature some great physics from the videos I've seen), but GT Advance 3 and Colin McRae got the best reviews overall. CMR2.0 also has multiboot, which is a big plus. However, the former 2 use Mode7-- so they lack in the visuals department. All 4 seem to be (as) comprehensive (as you can get on GBA) in providing a simulation experience, as opposed to arcade-y gameplay.

Anyone have opinions on these games, or know of other 3D-ish games I should check out?

I got the DS. Amazing system, but the good games just plain aren't here yet.

Also: HI EVERYBODY