Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Janderson

Blunderbust (non-Star Wars branch)

Which in your opinion is the worst military disaster? and what happened?All you jokers out there try to stay away from the Iraq war.

Operation Barbarossa. Nazi's got Soviet boot to face and then some...then we got the cold war.

The retard Zerg BS rush.

Me and my friend were playing Starcraft online with some random mong. It was a 3v3 compstomp (we were warming up for heavier games). We were going good, I was Terran and he was protoss. I had about 12 marines and he had already built part of his photon defense. Anyways, all of a sudden I get attacked by 6 zerglings from our "ally". We both quickly built up forces and marched into his base. We found that he was trying to use only the 4 drones given at the start of the game to build up resources. His second group of six zerglings spawned right as we began ruining his shit, and they were put down by about 2 dozen marines and 10 zealots. Needless to say we thoroughly owned this guy and went on to waste the comps.

Oh, you wanted real battles. I'd have to say whenever a foreign country gets bogged down in guerilla warfare against highly motivated local forces.

SEE: America in Vietnam, Soviets in Afghanistan, countless other examples

Battle of Waterloo, before that, I would have said "Shorty's got a good winning streak!" but after, I would have just said, "Poison the bitch..." Which happened...

The Sicilian expedition by the Athenians (415-3 BC) was a rather spectacular failure.

This wasn't a campaign that was a doomed idea from the outset, but rather one that (according to the written accounts anyway) failed disastrously due to bad decisions and poor communication in the face of alert counterattacking. In terms of the outcome, it was roughly equivalent to if the Soviets in Afghanistan, rather than "merely" suffering heavy losses and pulling out eventually, had been utterly routed and the remnants of their forces in the territory captured.

I can't remember the exact name of it, but the battle in the Greco-Persian War where Persia kept tossing troops to a handful of Greek warriors in a mountain pass, which consistently decimated them every time. Crap, it's going to bother me that I can't remember the name of that battle.

Dr. Zin said:

It's Thermopylae.

Yeah, that one. Sucked to be the Persians during that stretch of time.

While an extremely entertaining writer, Herodotus was notoriously inaccurate when it came to factual details (or, to put it another way, he often relied on hearsay), especially when it got in the way of a good story. His account of the Battle of Thermopylae should therefore be taken with a grain of salt (link; another link). And don't forget that the Persians did actually win that battle in military terms (though maybe not in the overall context of the war). It was in the sea battle at Salamis where the Greeks kicked their asses.

Not sure why we're talking about Star Wars here, unless you guys also agree, especially with the latter releases, that they may have been among the worst cinematic disasters, at least lately and as far as big releases go.

fodders said:
Operation Northwoods.

Well, 40 years later perhaps they finally used the idea.

To add something; the Battle of Agincourt wasn't very fortunate for the French.

This was the most disatrous for my country. Particularly from my perspective (not that I was alive during any other wars... unless you count the state terroism that preceded that.) It appears we did kick some British butt back when it did make sense, though.

History's biggest blunder: never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Also, speaking of the French, apparently the French really hate it that the British celebrate the battle of Trafalgar. I read something a couple years ago how the French wanted the Brits to take down Trafalgar Square for some reason (wtf), and now when the Brits do reinactments of it, they have to rename the sides to "red" and "blue".

the spanish were involved in the trafalgar fight too though. so it should be red, blue and orange or sum'm.

now when the Brits do reinactments of it, they have to rename the sides to "red" and "blue".

Thats happened recently, the 200th anniversary of the battle is coming up and they where going to stage a re-enactment for the queen to watch, but they had to change the names of the sides to not offend anyone. (Dont they know re-enacting battles offends muslims?)

I would have to say the entire Vietnam war. Granted, I suppose that would go into the "Never get involved in a land war in Asia" category, but really, it was just a complete disaster, especially considering that the war was being drawn out on purpose. Also World War I wasn't the greatest idea, either (old school troop formations combined with new technology = slaughterfest).