Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Request: Better Quake .WAD support

When I load a Quake texture .WAD in XWE, it displays all the entry names correctly, but it does not display the entries as graphics. It would be nice if it would handle these textures correctly so that I don't have to use another utility when I want to extract them to convert them to a Doom game.

You can get the .WADs that I'm interested in using over here: http://kell.spawnpoint.org/q1textures.html

Those files are somewhat malformed. They are WAD2 files, but they don't follow this format: http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/spec/quake-spec34/qkspec_7.htm

XWE actually 'knows' the graphics format of the entries, but doesn't find the graphics data, because all the offsets are off by 16 bytes. And on the 16 bytes in front of each entry is the name of that entry... Which is already in the directory! I wonder why would they duplicate the name there. Do you have any info on the format?

while you were looking, did you find any more info on the quake .map format? I want to know more about it, but there's not much in the document i found that clears it up for me.

Sorry, I haven't seen anything on that. Just Google it, I'm sure you can find something useful.

Thanks, seems to be working well. The only bug I've encountered so far is that if I select several of the textures at once and attempt to save them to files, it will have problems if one of the textures is marked with a "*" character, because that's not a valid character for a filename. Might be good if it could automatically detect and correct this if saving one of these in a group. Otherwise it seems fine.

robindegen said:

while you were looking, did you find any more info on the quake .map format? I want to know more about it, but there's not much in the document i found that clears it up for me.

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/spec/quake-spec34/index0.htm

A map file is a text file with the coordinates of "brushes".

The map file also contains the "things" and "actions" like lifts etc in text format.

Thanks for those docs, that really helps. I know about the text and objects part. I'm working on a DirectX 3d engine, and i'm working with faces in my map format. A face is a square with 4 XYZ coordinates. 6 of them would form a cube (or some other shape. Only shapes with 6 faces are supported for now). But a brush works different.

I'm not english.. can anybody explain "noncolinear" for me please?

Draconio, that's a good point. Grab the latest beta again. XWE now filters out all chars that are not allowed in filenames (like *, <, >, |, etc).

deep said:

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/spec/quake-spec34/index0.htm

A map file is a text file with the coordinates of "brushes".

The map file also contains the "things" and "actions" like lifts etc in text format.

ok, after about an hour of testing with my map editor i finally figured out how it works :) (i think) I'll try explaining in my own words (if anyone knows the format, please tell me if i'm right/wrong)

( 128 0 0 ) ( 128 1 0 ) ( 128 0 1 ) GROUND1_6 0 0 0 1.0 1.0

one row represents a solid face (like 6 faces would form a cube)
The first coordinate is the left top coordinate of it. The other to are the righttop and the left bottom. What shape this would be can be calculated out of the other rows (like it's a square, triangle, round etc)