Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Ported To... Doom 3

Hot on the heels of the recent Doom 3 v1.3 patch, Bernd Kreimeier, whom you may recall as the force behind cleaning up the Doom source code for release in the first place, has ported Doom to Doom 3. Yes, you can literally play Doom on an arcade screen inside of a Doom 3 level. No, I don't know how either. Yes, I baked those cookies. No, you can't have one.

Wow...that is just so...that guy must have had to much...why would anyone...Ok...I better stop, it's cool, but leads to many puzzling questions, such as...Why? I can feel my soul being ripped from my body as we speak...

This is awesome. I couldn't get weapons to switch properly, though...every time I'd hit a number key, it would change weapons in Doom 3 instead of in the terminal, and I couldn't find the "next weapon" key to use (brackets didn't work either, nor did the mouse wheel).

EDIT: The mousewheel is how you're supposed to switch weapons, apparently - every three clicks cycles weapons. Unintuitive and stupid, considering I'd rather play with the keyboard if I don't have mouselook.

I definitely just played through all of Episode 1. Not being able to switch weapons was a pain, and it was a bit lagged. But it was still fun. Surprising ow addictive doom is all over again when you put it in a different format. :)

Amaster said:

So who's gonna do a speedrun? :P

LOL! I just thought of that as I saw your post.

DLing now.
Cool as hell.

Comiclez said:

Wow...that is just so...that guy must have had to much...why would anyone...Ok...I better stop, it's cool, but leads to many puzzling questions, such as...Why? I can feel my soul being ripped from my body as we speak...

Because they can.

Comiclez said:

From the Readme

I did this project as a proof-of-concept for fully interactive surfaces, the full potential of which is not yet realized by the DOOM3 GUI. Doom1 was chosen for convenience, a bit of nostalgia, and because I worked with that codebase before. In retrospect, that might have been a mistake on my part, as that choice distracts from the point I am trying to make.

Fully Interactive Surfaces FAQ
http://www.battleteam.net/tech/fis/docs/index.html

Comiclez said:

I was expecting it as (possibly) part of the commercial game; it was mentioned on the Forums here at least once. At least a screen that cycled through the titlepic, demos, and credits.

Does it run smooth for everyone here. I was suprised when my computer ran the doom 3 part smoothly even though it was just a small room, but when I tried to play the arcade doom, it was really slow.

when you no-clip in terminal doom, the floors and ceilings still stretch tward you when facing the map from the outside, right?

I don't think cheatcodes work in this mod.

This is an amazing mod, btw. It runs perfectly fine for me and plays almost exactly like the original Doom. I had no idea something like this is possible.

Jonathan said:

I can't believe this hasn't been slashdotted yet.

But that would take away from the dupes, obvious hoaxes, and stories posted solely to drive traffic to someone's blog!