Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sausage

can anyone create their own monsters??

Im very good in creating lame recolored monsters, and nope im not gonna make them annymore.
Its a waste of my time and creating all new ones takes me far too long.

plz can sum1 tell me how to make them coz u dont have to do it for me
just tell me how

i will host ur WADS on my site for free when it is finished being created for free

Well monsters are easy to an extent...but what the hell are you wanting to do...an entire new monster? Just new skins? An entirely original monster complete with skins and coding?

you gotta be more specific...and also answers will differ from port to port....so please PLEASE PLEASE be much more specific than..."help me make a new monster"

sausage said:

plz can sum1 tell me how to make them coz u dont have to do it for me
just tell me how

wel dud 1st ya gots to git 4um prgram to make em then u gots to um get a wad thing and pallete and XWE OH DUD LOL u got 2 c action doom lol it has sum1 else werk u can jus steal ROFL

ok; i'll be specific.

is it possible i can make an entire new monster
with sum1

Before you learn how to create a new monster, I would recommend first taking a class on the english language. Once you've gotten through with that, then maybe you're ready to make your own monsters. ZDoom has DECORATE support, which gives you the ability to create new decoration things, and actors (monsters and such). Other ports (such as Eternity) have other methods for creating new actor classes.

if not then just help me by telling me wtf zdoom is, i have ultimate doom , doom2 + final doom

so i am not too sure what zdoom is

To make a new monster you need to draw at least 3-4 frames of it walking from the front, front-left, side, back-left and back, and then frames of it attacking (usually 2, about to fire and firing) from those same angles, then it being wounded from those same angles, then dying (front only). Then use a wad resources program such as Wintex or XWE to add in your new graphics to replace one of the monsters already in doom, for instance replacing the imp with a dragon or something. To change the behaviour of the monster (more health, ect) you can use dehacked. Alternativley source ports like Zdoom and Edge (and Vavoom) let you make new monsters that dont replace the old ones, and give them cool behaviours like shooting three fireballs or something.

Useful links:

XWE: xwe.com/ -Its a decent wad resource editing thing, that most people prefer to use, but not me

Wintex: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search&page=1&field=filename&word=wintex&sort=time&order=asc -Its a wad resource editor that is more specific for doom, i swear by it

Zdoom: zdoom.org/ -The most popular doom souce port, lets you make all-new monsters, and easily run new wads with new graphics in them (for the old doom exes you need to patch the new graphics in to doom.wad or doom2.wad)

Edge: http://edge.sourceforge.net/ -A different port that lets you make all-new monsters, and weapons too. The DDF language is easy to understand, but not many people like it because its "messy", but they are gif-hating "oh-look-at-me-i'm-using-linux-i-am-a-desperado" subhuman scum

Vavoom: http://www.vavoom-engine.com/ -Another port thats lets you add new monsters and weapons, but nobody uses it

Edit by Grazza: FFS, don't say "useful links" and then just give google as the link. Proper links edited in.

You forgot Eternity which also allows to define new monsters and uses yet another method to do it...

Isnt Eternity's method very similar to DDF? or was that Vavoom?, i dunno. I should have said that Zdoom has DECORATE, which lets you make new things (items, monsters, decorations), but things like sounds and skies are specified in different ways, by different data lumps, whereas DDF in Edge (and Eternity?) is used to specify just about everything in that engine

deathbringer said:

Useful links:

Wintex: google.com/ -Its a wad resource editor that is more specific for doom, i swear by it

There's an old home page and here's a download.

Graf Zahl said:

You forgot Eternity which also allows to define new monsters and uses yet another method to do it...

Yeah.

deathbringer said:

whereas DDF in Edge (and Eternity?) is used to specify just about everything in that engine

It's debatable which approach is better. Having dedicated lumps for certain stuff creates a lot less interference but having all together also has its positives. As long as the syntax is comprehensible (my major issue with Doomsday's DED) it really shouldn't make a difference.

well what do i do once i have done the images??

also i still dont know what zdoom is

deathbringer said:

Zdoom: zdoom.org/ -The most popular doom souce port, lets you make all-new monsters, and easily run new wads with new graphics in them (for the old doom exes you need to patch the new graphics in to doom.wad or doom2.wad)

deathbringer said:

Zdoom ... and easily run new wads with new graphics in them (for the old doom exes you need to patch the new graphics in to doom.wad or doom2.wad)

Two points:
* Almost all ports (and certainly all popular modern ones) don't require deusf to be used.
* Even with doom.exe and doom2.exe, you've no need to alter the iwad (that only applied for early versions of deusf). If you use "deusf -app ...", that adds (appends) the necessary stuff from the iwad to the pwad. Though I have come across some wads where you need to do this for it to work correctly with ports too.

Ah yes, you patch the iwad graphics into the new wad, either way you end up with lots of wasted space after a while

Correct, except when you use a DeHackEd patch to specify new sprite names; then you don't need to add anything but the new sprites. Mordeth explains this process in the Editing section here on Doomworld.

sausage said:

well what do i do once i have done the images??

Do you know what a "wad" file is?
You need to put your images into a wad file using XWE or wintex...

If you have AIM I can tell you how to make new monsters.

sausage said:
also i still dont know what zdoom is [/B]

ZDoom is an enhanced port of the official DOOM source code to Win32.

So you download zdoom and run it with the Iwad that came with doom... Depending on what game you use, the Iwad could be "doom.wad" "doom2.wad" "plutonia.wad" or "tnt.wad". Just take the Iwad file and put it into the folder you unzipped Zdoom into.

Zdoom also works with some other games Strife, Hexen, and Heretic.

ok; sooooo youre saying i hae to download the zdoom source port
+ add my textures using it?

Is your buddy who designed the site the guy who killed all those zombies, the evil dead? Tell him to finish it.

he doesn't play doom he just makes websites ( he is quite a computer boff! )

so ill try to get him to finish it i just cant contact him much
:(

sausage said:

ok; sooooo youre saying i hae to download the zdoom source port
+ add my textures using it?

No, what I'm saying is you use xwe to add the "sprites" into a wad file to make the monster.

Then you download zdoom to play with the wad.

I dont have msn but I have aim... If you download aim then I can help you.

deathbringer said:

Edge: http://edge.sourceforge.net/ -A different port that lets you make all-new monsters, and weapons too. The DDF language is easy to understand, but not many people like it because its "messy", but they are gif-hating "oh-look-at-me-i'm-using-linux-i-am-a-desperado" subhuman scum

Exactly. EDGE DDF is the farthest thing from messy ever. I highly recommend EDGE, it has the best ease-of-use to flexibility and features ratio. Its so easy to make good stuff with it, its almost ridiculous.