Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've run into a bit of a problem creating some zombies, and would like some technical advice from graphics people if possible, i've made a generic 'template' zombie, which i did a while ago, but when i put it into the game recently it looks a bit tall and thin compared to the others, and the corpses look tiny, here's a demo pic..

The one on the left is the one i have actually created all the frames for, including several death sequences and burning.

The next one is widened, but now looks like a giant in the game

The next one along is shorter, so looks an ok height in the game, but obese

And the final one is the ordinary former human, the right height and somehow doesnt look obese in the game, but i dont like the slouching posture they have

now i'm planning to use this (the tall and thin one, because i have made all the frames) in some mini-TC's (changes the theme but is only one or two levels) so it wont be seen against normal doom enemies, i'm mainly asking if people would find a tall and thin enemy like that acceptable or if i should go back to the drawing board and try and make another template. This also brings me to my other problem, when i try and make a wider zombie, i can never get the eyes right, they always look too small, but if i make them two rows of pixels high they look too big and cartoony, anybody got any advice about weather i should stick with the one i have, or make a new one and work out something for the eyes? (another problem is i want to use black and white eyes, not glowing red ones, on the normal doom zombie guys thier red eyes 'blend in' so it doesnt matter that they are 3 pixels apart, but black and white ones stand out)

Just realised this should be in the editing forum, could it be moved?

The Doom sprites have very little pixels, so everything you'll create will be limited.

No-one is expecting perfect sprites, since those are impossible to create using Doom. Just go with the one you have.

m0l0t0v said:

The Doom sprites have very little pixels, so everything you'll create will be limited.

No-one is expecting perfect sprites, since those are impossible to create using Doom.

impossible? 0_o
Surely not, though it´s a hard piece of work.
perfect sprites are relative...
doom´s sprites look great, but if you take a close look at the Imp for example, you´ll notice that even those are far from being perfect!

@Deathbringer:
Dunno where to begin... seems like you still have to learn a lot of things about making sprites...
especially the shading looks dull!

No offence, but you should maybe have a look at some pixel tutorials ;)

That is only the template zombie, to get the basic shape, the actual ones i will use in-game are gonna be far more detailed, with overalls, badges, hats, and much better contrast to the shading.

Sorry, must have missed that template part in your first post...

One thing I just noticed is, that your sprite looks rather slim compared to the original!
Doom´s sprites lose a bit of their width in-game (dunno what causes this),
so you have to make the sprites wider, than their actual "true" look in your paint editor...
took me ages to realise!

I would suggest to stick with your 3rd template, just add 1 or 2 rows of pixels on the left and right of it!

Vader said:
doom´s sprites look great, but if you take a close look at the Imp for example, you´ll notice that even those are far from being perfect!

...that was my point...

I do have an option for you, Deathbringer. When you browse through the Doom sprites on any Doom editing utility, there is a reference of the sprite's size such as height and width. If you examin the Height and width of the pistol dude (aka Former Human), try and apply it to your sprite. I recommend using Deep Sea to edit it. That's what I do to try and make a sprite. I think it'll work for you. Good luck.\

P.S.: The Former Human's angle 1 size is 41x56 just to let you know. 41 is the width and 56 is the height.

-Alando1

Vader said:

Doom´s sprites lose a bit of their width in-game (dunno what causes this),

That's because of the resolution, you must use multiples of 320-200 for a proper view.